My Simplified and Well-Tested Rules

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

My Simplified and Well-Tested Rules

Postby Trokodile » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 pm

My first few playthroughs, I found the rulebook a bit confusing and hard to learn (mostly because I was trying to learn it as I go because my opponent didn't know how to play, either, and wouldn't give me a lot of time to do so). In frustration, I decided the best thing to do is make my own rules and use those instead, because then it would all be in my head and I wouldn't need to consult the rulebook every. five. seconds.
I keep the 4-system limit and company sizing, as well as station rules, in all games.
I don't play with the doomsday clock, as it seems a little weird. Most of my games end up at 5-6 full rounds, and then it goes really quickly with reduced frame numbers. Total rounds are about 9-11.
Usually, I count terrain as the standard 3-brick-high ruling, but some pieces I have don't count. I also use a terrain called Energy Shielding, which, if destroyed, comes back in-between rounds. However, a single hit destroys it.
A single unit of measurement is about 5 studs. Movement is determined by a single D6, with frames moving up to that many units, but at least one. Ranges are as follows:
d6Rh = 1 Unit
d6Rd = 2 - 8 Units
d6Ra = > 8 Units
Attack dice are one d6 per barrel, with every other one becoming a d8 instead. Limits can vary, but the overall cap is six (and this is only with an added hindrance).
Defense dice are one automatic, plus one for each d6B system. A tie or a higher number rolled by the defender prevents damage; that value stays until the end of the round.
Win conditions are to be the last one left standing or to capture all stations. This second condition means each team needs three stations.
The most-changed thing is d6Y systems. I couldn't understand them, and instead use them for a different purpose: an artillery frame without a scope or d6Y system has their d6Ra and d8Ra rolls reduced by two.
SSRs are global, and do not need a specifc carrier. They deal a d8Rr of damage to an opponent and are best suited for an otherwise-unarmed frame.
Turn order is decided by a dice roll, with the lowest number being first. Each player starts with the same amount of points: 1 for each frame, plus 1 for each station. Players should have matching frame counts. Turn order after round 1 is based off of points. When there is no change, turn order remains the same.
In a round, each frame can be activated only once. A dead frame takes no actions, and it is skipped.
Cover is omni-directional and is not based on line of sight, but proximity. Being within 1 unit of cover considers a frame protected. Defense rolls from a protected frame affect the cover, not the frame. (Example: A Chub is protected and rolls a six for defense. Then, it moves away from its cover and is attacked. The Chub rolls defense again, and gets a two. The two is the value you would apply to this combat.)

I hope you enjoyed, and these rules are quite balanced and well-tested. If there are any questions, please ask or improvise.
Last edited by Trokodile on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Re: My Simplified and Well-Tested Rules

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Trokodile wrote:My first few playthroughs, I found the rulebook very confusing and hard to learn. I decided the best thing to do is make my own rules and use those instead.

I'm pretty sure you didn't meant to crap on the game. But there are more polite ways of expressing that.

Custom rules are respected, and even cherished, around here, but showing respect for the base rules is required.

The base rules are more simple than they seem to be. You should read this, if you still think it's complicated we would be glad to answer any doubt you still may have.

Things like the asymmetric deployment, dynamic initiative, station capture and the doomsday clock may seem weird for those used to more conservative wargames, but they are what makes MF0 special and build its identity, I really believe you should give them a second chance.
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 am

VitorFaria wrote: I'm pretty sure you didn't meant to crap on the game. But there are more polite ways of expressing that.

Custom rules are respected, and even cherished, around here, but showing respect for the base rules is required.

The base rules are more simple than they seem to be. You should read this, if you still think it's complicated we would be glad to answer any doubt you still may have.

Things like the asymmetric deployment, dynamic initiative, station capture and the doomsday clock may seem weird for those used to more conservative wargames, but they are what makes MF0 special and build its identity, I really believe you should give them a second chance.

I didn't mean to insult the game, as years ago I played a demo and thoroughly enjoyed it. That's what got me into the game. However, my opinion is the rulebook could have been ordered a bit better. The assymetry, initiative, and station capturing all make sense, as they give it more realism. And while I see that the clock is meant to make in-the-moment scoring more important, I personally prefer things a bit simpler, which is why I did this. I will have to take another look at the rulebook, though, and try to figure it out.
my FULL gallery

The war has begun...
It is here...
It rages across the galaxy...
All that remains to be seen...
Is not who will win...
For there is no winner in war...
There is just one who loses less.

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 am

When and where did you play the demo?

The Doomsday Clock is really important. You say your games normally run five to six rounds? That's a lot of long games. We've never played six rounds in our group and five round games only happen 26% of the time. Whereas four round games happen 46% of the time and three round games happen 28% of the time. so the Doomsday Clock is an important part of the rules and learning to use it effectively as a player is crucial.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 pm

I'm going to jump in here and agree that the rules could be better presented. That's why several attempts have been undertaken by players through the years to do just that.

In my opinion, the best version that exists is still only available in the beta version of the official MFZ app... But since that's not out in the wild yet, here's the second best version.

Hope it helps.

http://hazardcreative.com/mfz-ch/
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Mantisking wrote:When and where did you play the demo?

I did one at PAX East a few years back, when one of the terrain bits was a wall with Mixel eyes. (2x2 round tile size)
Mantisking wrote:The Doomsday Clock is really important. You say your games normally run five to six rounds? That's a lot of long games.

My games run up to an hour, maybe an hour and a half without the clock. Combat is a lot faster, I think, so an elimination game goes quickly.
my FULL gallery

The war has begun...
It is here...
Is not who will win...

Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:21 am

Trokodile wrote:I did one at PAX East a few years back, when one of the terrain bits was a wall with Mixel eyes. (2x2 round tile size)

Hunh. It was probably me running the demo then.

Mantisking wrote:The Doomsday Clock is really important. You say your games normally run five to six rounds? That's a lot of long games.
Trokodile wrote:My games run up to an hour, maybe an hour and a half without the clock. Combat is a lot faster, I think, so an elimination game goes quickly.

How many players?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Trokodile wrote:I did one at PAX East a few years back, when one of the terrain bits was a wall with Mixel eyes. (2x2 round tile size)
Mantisking wrote:Hunh. It was probably me running the demo then.

Haha, probably!
Trokodile wrote:My games run up to an hour, maybe an hour and a half without the clock. Combat is a lot faster, I think, so an elimination game goes quickly.
Mantisking wrote:How many players?

Normally me and one other person.
my FULL gallery

The war has begun...
It is here...
Is not who will win...

Trokodile