Mobile Frame Zero: Dog Fight

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Dog Fight

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:19 pm

After some study I realized that my turret implementation differs from Joshua's in a really interesting way!

Joshua's gets stronger the more spotting your opponent has, while mine would waste a nice spotting, since it can only make one damage per strike. 5 damage dice or less mine is usually more powerful, 6 or more Joshua's become a better bet.

I like that difference enough that I'm going to implement both at the same time, Joshua's turret becomes "turret" and mine becomes "disruptor turret".

I would also like thank Francisco Duarte for helping me out with a pdf!

Speaking about PDFs, here's an early version!
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:30 am

Perhaps rendering the images of movement examples would be helpful, as the quality of the photos makes it difficult for me to tell which hinges are red in the template figure. I recommend carefully standardizing your terms, as you refer to 2-6 ruler units as both "Direct Fire" and "medium" range in the document. Otherwise this is an exciting development, and I'm very pleased it exists. I have a question about the rules. Are the movement templates locked? Could I choose a hard turn on some of the units but a gentler turn or straight with others? Can I snap inward at the end of a gentle bank?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Thanks for the excellent and on point constructive criticism, Rook! All of those issues will be addressed soon!

Oddly enough, those are renders already, not pictures, but yeah, the orange/red contrast is kinda hard to pick, gonna change the colors and render it again.

The movement templates are indeed locked, it's "all or nothing" for each of them. I will reword the movement section to make this clearer as well.
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:21 pm

VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:29 pm

And so is version 0.0.4.

Mostly some small corrections and clarifications. With a design considerations section so it's easier to know what I'm trying to do in the first place.

Also, four SSRs to make it slightly shootier!
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Version 0.0.5 is already out!

In which might be the the most radical Dog Fight change to date. I present you the Maneuver Re-balance.

By shifting the template values around, now the movement will feel more like IO, if you don't spend good dice values with greens, you might go further forward than you would want to. Yet, all the important maneuvers are still 4 or under, to keep flying from being way too difficult.

Also, some minor renaming, courtesy of our Discord channel friends!

Coming soon: Different fighter size classes!
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

After too much of a long time not being able to work on this project, here's Dog Fight version 0.0.6!

Size classes finally implemented with some other optional rules to spice things up!

And a reminder, only two the weeks until the end of the competition, so if you still have some fighters to post, do it fast!
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:20 am

If I choose a d6G as my fourth heavy fighter system, have I simply added a health point to a medium?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:09 am

CmdrRook wrote:If I choose a d6G as my fourth heavy fighter system, have I simply added a health point to a medium?

No, the maneuver templates are different between the classes, a heavy will have more trouble tuning with a lower dice roll.
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:22 pm

VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:57 am

VitorFaria wrote:Thanks Rob!

Nice to see that this is still being improved upon, even if it's just scaling of the rulebook. As someone who has played Star Wars X-Wing before, I like the movement types and I now want to try out a Dogfight game!
my FULL gallery

The time for change has come. With your help, our wave shall become a great flood, wiping away all who oppose us. - Waves of Change

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks, Trok!

Oh, it's not just the scaling, there are other subtle changes and fixes as well!
VitorFaria (she/her)
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Previous

Return to Fan Created Rules