The Titan Field Team

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

The Titan Field Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi, there!

I'm posting the pictures I had on Facebook over here for the community, and also to discuss them a little further.

As some of you know, my real involvement in this community started about an year ago when I started posting some Warhammer 40K-inspired frames. Some time later I was given a generous donation of lego parts by a good friend who was intrigued by the game but had no chance of building models himself. I used them to make a few teams of Titans and host a few games with these friends of mine. The models were massive, and although we had fun, they turned out to be quite hard to handle.

For the sake of comparison, the Frames at the front are 30% larger than a Chub.

These models were impossible to carry to public places. A little later I made a few BattleTech themed models, Chub-sized and much easier to transport. However, because of the setting those models are hard-wired, ie, the systems and their disposition are fixed.

Recently I decided that maybe I could reduce the scale of the Titan models and maybe make the models costumizable. I love Warhammer and would love to have something I could play with based on that setting. Furthermore the new Knight Codex came out and it looked awesome. So, I decided I could, sadly, get rid of the giant Titans and make new, more easy to handle, models. Hence, I started to make a new generation of these. I started with the Imperial Knights, but they still require some work, as do the Eldar, and the Orks are still in the early stages. The Tau, however, are already ready to go.

For this collection I will also be including vehicles, albeit the only real difference from the Titans is that the latter are fully customizable, while the vehicles are hard-wired - what they have is what you got. I also will be including flying units and use my custom flying rules.

The core of the Tau team are the Suits, two Riptides and one Stormsurge.

One Riptide is equipped as a soldier, with a blaster ( d6Rd d6Rd ) a Shield ( d6B ) a set of wings ( d6G ) and a Sensor Drone ( d6Y ), plus two smart missile packs as one-shot missiles d8Rr d8Rr . The other one is a close-combat variant because I am a big child and couldn't control myself. It has two plasma cutters ( d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh ), a set of wings ( d6G ) and a shield drone ( d6B ), plus a smart missile pack d8Rr . Generally speaking, the Riptides have each two hardpoints on each arm, plus one on top of each pack in the back, and one more in the back.
The Stormsurge is a special case. It was the first model I made for the first set, and will stay alive without much change. It does come equipped with a missile pack as an artillery system, hard-wired, but it can use up to three more systems. In this case it has a shield ( d6B ) and a long-range cannon for d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra . Generally speaking, the Stormsurge has one hardpoint on each side of the hull, plus another one in the gun emplacement.
The drones are considered systems and they simply float around the Titan (Frame), being inconsequential for range of fire and cover considerations.

There are also two Barracuda fighters.

They come with one blaster ( d6Rd d6Rd ) and two sensor pods ( d6Y d6Y ). They also have an Aerospace System as per my custom flying rules, providing an additional d8G . Each has one additional hardpoint under each wing for a total of 1 extra system.

More pictures of the Riptides:

Plus the Riptide and a Barracuda along a Chub-sized Hatchetman for scale:

If you enjoy these, I will keep posting them here as the other teams come together.
Last edited by Francisco Duarte on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Re: The Titan Field Team

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Those new smaller titans are excellent, great part usage and lovely employment of implied articulation techniques! There's some really great Darksyntax style stuff here!

Also, Chub-sized Hatchetman is something I feel I should have!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:50 am

Very nice use of parts, especially considering that all of these models fit the TTT challenge. 40k has certainly been an inspiration for some. But whatever inspires you, continue building and sharing. Thank you and keep it up. :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Aardvark17 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am

These are really great builds in both scales, nice job!
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Francisco Duarte » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Thank you for the feedback guys! :)

I will post the other teams as soon as they are completed.

KungFujiApple wrote:Very nice use of parts, especially considering that all of these models fit the TTT challenge. 40k has certainly been an inspiration for some. But whatever inspires you, continue building and sharing. Thank you and keep it up. :)

This is true for the most part, the Stormsurge uses a few tarps and Travis cubes, as it is an older design and I wasn't as excited about make do with simpler parts yet.

VitorFaria wrote:Also, Chub-sized Hatchetman is something I feel I should have!

Who doesn't? :mrgreen:
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby Francisco Duarte » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Sorry for the lack of activity, I have a couple more teams almost ready, but haven't had the time to take proper pictures of them (that, and the Eldar still need a couple more systems I haven't had the time to build). I have, though, taken a few extra pictures during the shooting of the Tau units, and have a small appetizer for my next team in them. I also added some backstory to the initial post.

The Tau, Eldar and Imperial teams came along quite nicely. However the Orks are being much more difficult to put together than I expected. You would think it would be the other way around.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:18 pm

That carpet looks better than it should as a battlefield! :D

It gives me a plantation field vibe, for some reason.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:22 am

Right? I have planned to use it just for taking these pictures (wargaming-wise) but now I feel like I could play some games on it, assuming the other players are careful enough and don't step on anything. XD
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby Francisco Duarte » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 am

Sorry for the delay, guys, but I have been moving and haven't had much time to take pictures. Also, the legos and the minis are still on my previous place, and I still need to move them and finish a few things, meaning that there may be delays between updates.

For the Imperial Team I bring in the Imperial Knights, plus a couple Land Raiders. As with the Tau, the Titans are fulyl customizable, while the vehicles are hard-wired with their basic equipment, albeit I allow my players to equip them with a single extra piece of equipment if they so wish.

First, the Knights. To the left we have a Soldier configuration, with a Gatling Cannon ( d6Rd d6Rd ), a Searchlight in the chest ( d6Y ), an Enlarged Engine in the back ( d6G ) and a Shield ( d6B ). Also, a top-mounted Shieldbreaker missile ( d8Rr ).
In the center we have the Dominus Knight with a Plasma Decimator ( d6Rd d6Rd ), an Ion Shield Generator ( d6B ) and a Rapid-Fire Battlecannon ( d6Ra d6Ra ), plus two Shieldbreaker missiles ( d8Rr d8Rr ).
Finally, the Knight-Errant has a Rapid-Fire Battlecannon ( d6Ra d6Ra ) a Banner ( d6B ) and a Chainsword ( d6Rh d6Rh ).

Like the Tau Riptides, all Knights are fully customizable. They have hardpoints in their arms, on top of the hull, one on each side of the head, plus the engine in the back can be replaced with a larger one.
In the center a "clean" Knight, plus the backs of the second Questoris and the Dominus. I intend to get better pictures of these, hopefully with alternative patterns.

On to the Land Raiders. They are both equipped with two twin-linked Lascannons ( d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd ) plus a Searchlight ( d6Y ), although one is also equipped with an additional antenna for an additional d6Y . For the extra equipment, the Land Raiders have hardpoints in the back of the hull, and in the gun emplacement in the front.

To finish I have also prepared a small scene to also feature the next update: the Eldar team.

Last edited by Francisco Duarte on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:09 pm

I really like those land raiders, interesting concept for a land vehicle!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:39 am

The Knights look really nice love the hanging flag on the right one
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 am

VitorFaria wrote:I really like those land raiders, interesting concept for a land vehicle!

Because of the lack of parts and the wish to have some variety, I decided that each time would have Frames and vehicles, with the former being fully costumizable and the latter hard-wired, while also taking some lore considerations when decided which vehicles and frames to build. The Land Raiders seemed the best choice for this team, given that I had n more parts for tracks for normal tanks, and that it could be a way to bring in some Space Marines. However, I didn't know what role they would fulfil, until I realized the twin weapons could make them hard hitters, while spotting abilities would make them very useful indeed.

KungFujiApple wrote:The Knights look really nice love the hanging flag on the right one

Thank you! Since the inception of this idea that I thought I could use the flags in the units. For this, they offer a d6B because I thought it would be a neat idea for a defense system.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 am

Also, I used a little time I had to experiment with the systems in my Knights and attempt a few more lore-friendly builds.

Another look at the Knight Errant:

The Knight Crusader:

Comes with a Gatling Cannon for d6Rd d6Rd , a battlecannon and a missile launcher for d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra and a seachlight for d6Y , albeit I think a flag for a d6B would be a better fit.

A Knight Warden:

With a Gatling cannon for d6Rd d6Rd , a missile launcher for d6Ra d6Ra , a searchlight for d6Y and I would add a flag for a d6B .

A Knight Castellan:

With a plasma cannon for d6Rd d6Rd , a battlecannon for d6Ra d6Ra and two shield generators for d6B d6B , plus a couple shieldbreaker missiles for d8Rr d8Rr .

Finally, a small sneak peek with the last team for this batch:
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby darksyntax » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:50 pm

It's always fun watching someone find their local niche/theme for the rules set. Your smaller builds are pretty evocative and a good size for play. Love to hear how your games go.

VitorFaria wrote:...Darksyntax style...

I have a style... : )
darksyntax
Mod Team

Postby Francisco Duarte » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 pm

darksyntax wrote:It's always fun watching someone find their local niche/theme for the rules set. Your smaller builds are pretty evocative and a good size for play. Love to hear how your games go.

Thank you! I really like how these newer ones turned out. The previous iterations were simply too big and unwieldy. These are much easier to carry and manipulate. Let's see how good they look in an actual battle, though.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby Francisco Duarte » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:37 pm

The Eldar have arrived!

Sorry it took me this long to post something new. The Eldar team was actually the easiest to build, but the individual systems took more time than the Frames themselves. It includes the re-purposed Revenant titans from the older set, but with a few changes to turn them into Wraithknights (mostly widening the chest, flatening the back to make it into a hardpoint, and taking a few parts from the waist to bring them to a more manageable size. The Phoenix fighter wasn't too hard either. After I figured out how to build the nose, the rest came naturally. Then there are the Lynx tank hunters, which took me two or three hours from conception to the final result, making them the simplest and arguably the most satisfying of all of these models. Also the ones with the smaller part count.

The Wraithknights are heart of the team. Like all other Titans, they are fully customizable, with hardpoints in the forearms, shoulders and one in the back. For now, I have two builds:

First the simple Soldier configuration. It features one Inferno cannon for d6Rd d6Rd , a Scattershield for d6B , a sensor pod for d6Y and a set of wings for d6G . I also gave it a plasma missile for a d8Rr .

The Sniper build carries twin Wraithcannons for d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra , a holofield generator for d6B and a set of wings for d6G . It is straightforward enough, I think.

The Lynx tank hunters are also sniper builds. Given they are vehicles, they come with already-mounted systems, but each has a hardpoint over the main gun for an additional system. I really like these models, I think they look really sleek.

Each comes with a Pulsar Cannon for d6Ra d6Ra , advanced engines for d6G and a holofield generator for d6B . They are fast and durable, and can hop all over the table while sniping at things.

Finally, the Phoenix bomber.

It is a flyer, so it has my homebrew rule for Aerospace System, meaning that it comes with a standard d8G . Furthermore, it also has a holofield generator for d6B , a sensor array in the nose for d6Y and a pulse laser for d6Rd d6Rd . It also mounts two hardpoints under the fuselage for an additional system. I usually mount two plasma missiles on it, to use its mobility for some early-game damage.

Here are the different hull types compared with a Chub-sized Hatchetman for scale. Also, the Imperial Knights, as I have forgotten to compare them in their post.

Finally, let's see the Craftworld Hadeth facing off against the first models of the next set, representing the next team. These are actually taking me forever to build. You would think that crude bulkiness of the Orks would be simple to convert to Lego, but it is being far from that. The Eldar, by comparison, were much easier to convert, in spite of their slender elegance.

As per usual, I'm eager to know what you guys think. :)
Last edited by Francisco Duarte on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Gotta love those VicViper-ish vehicles!

Really nice look, would look super fine in IO as well!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby SamSam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:27 am

The Emporor Protects.
Can you make necron army next? I wana see what you com up with
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Francisco Duarte » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

SamSam wrote:The Emporor Protects.
Can you make necron army next? I wana see what you com up with

For the Emprah!

Thank you for the reply and for the support, dude!
I'm actually currently finishing the Ork team. Completed the two tanks today, and started to move with the Mega Dread. However, I am still unsure about what to do next. I was thinking about the Necrons from the start, as I have a cousin who loves them and I still have a Lego Tesseract Vault laying around, but I couldn't yet figure out how to make proper Monoliths with the parts I have. However, I have been looking at pictures of the supposed Necron titan that have surfaced, and it is giving me some ideas that don't rely on blocky weaponized buildings.

So, yeah, after the Orks I may go Necron.

VitorFaria wrote:Gotta love those VicViper-ish vehicles!

Really nice look, would look super fine in IO as well!

Thank you! I'm super proud of them. When I saw pictures of that vehicle online I feared it would be night-impossible to make it look good in Lego, but it was way more simple than I ever expected. May actually try to use it to make a first attempt at instructions for my builds.
Francisco Duarte
Chatty

Return to Frame Designs