Natural Terrain

Show off and discuss your objectives and table-top terrain
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Natural Terrain

Postby RANOR » Tue May 29, 2018 2:45 am

Hey,

Most Boards I've seen so far were using comparatively modern walls and bunkers for decor and cover. But what about more natural Terrain?
What do you guys use for cover and terrain in a more rural environment? Hills? Trees? Bushes? And how do you assemble them?
Post your best ideas and creations down below :D
RANOR
Newcomer

Re: Natural Terrain

Postby Blorf » Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 am

I almost always scatter around some natural obstacles like trees and bushes. Even if they don't count as cover, they definitely help the field look like a real place:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6403
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5056

I've also been known to drop in some pretty dense trees at times.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6247

Hills are hard. The game doesn't lend itself too well to that kind of elevation. I've seen it done, but it's hard to play. Getting the pieces to stay standing can be a challenge, and the included elevation rules aren't sophisticated enough for graduated terrain. If you like the idea, go for it—just expect to have to work some things out on your own.

One nice thing about natural cover is that it's generally pretty simple to build.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 am

I've got a technique for building hills that I haven't really used. I mention it in this blog post. I hope to give it a try soon.

I think this is my favorite tree design.

Alien Trees, on Flickr.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby RANOR » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 am

Blorf wrote:I almost always scatter around some natural obstacles like trees and bushes. Even if they don't count as cover, they definitely help the field look like a real place:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6403
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5056

I've also been known to drop in some pretty dense trees at times.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6247

Hills are hard. The game doesn't lend itself too well to that kind of elevation. I've seen it done, but it's hard to play. Getting the pieces to stay standing can be a challenge, and the included elevation rules aren't sophisticated enough for graduated terrain. If you like the idea, go for it—just expect to have to work some things out on your own.

One nice thing about natural cover is that it's generally pretty simple to build.

uh, these battlefields look really good and fun. Thx for the inspiration. I really need more static objects like houses or plants. I mainly asked, because my recent gameboards were really empty looking...
RANOR
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu May 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks! The felt makes a big difference, especially having multiple colors and shapes. Ask around to see if anyone has some. I didn't even have to buy mine.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:20 pm

RANOR wrote:...But what about more natural Terrain?
What do you guys use for cover and terrain in a more rural environment? Hills? Trees? Bushes? And how do you assemble them?
Post your best ideas and creations down below :D

Actually that is a really good question. So it got me to thinking about some of the things that I've come across. I thought I could put together a small catalog. There are plenty more of great ideas out there, and even here in the mobile frame hangar. I decided to make a small catalog of some of the things that I saw that had some really nice use of terrain:

I thought this pic was a good all around one to get started on. It has a basic tree design, bamboo, rocks. A nice concept to work up from:
ImageMobile Frame Zero - Plants & Terrain by Moctagon Jones, on Flickr

I liked the use of bamboo on Lego soil in this pic:
ImageRimbalic Horde - Chassis 4D Mini Tank by Moctagon Jones, on Flickr

Bamboo and rock in this one:
ImageDefending the Beach 2 by Moctagon Jones, on Flickr

Loved the farmed orange trees here:
ImageOCRHC Display - Orange Processing Plant by Moctagon Jones, on Flickr

Desert tree with rocks and shrubbery:
ImageJoshua Tree National Park by halfbeak, on Flickr

Simple Shrubbery and Foliage:
Image20171228 202724 s15405 by José Proença, on Flickr
Image20171228 203044 s15408 by José Proença, on Flickr
ImageFoliage Concept 2 by Full Plate, on Flickr
ImageFoliage Concept by Full Plate, on Flickr
ImageGathering Flowers by Graham Gidman, on Flickr

Wedge Trees (Tavis Bricks Requried):
ImageWedge Trees by Markus Küper, on Flickr
ImageTannen by Markus Küper, on Flickr

Seasonal Trees and Landscape:
ImageMicro Seasons by Full Plate, on Flickr

I thought the sand dunes and alien looking terrain was well made:
ImageClassic Speeder by Sad Brick, on Flickr

Rock face:
ImageRocks - DMC module by Guilherme Santos, on Flickr

I love that zen tree:
ImageLego zen garden - atana studio by Anthony SÉJOURNÉ, on Flickr

If ever swamp theme...
ImageThe Marshes (main) by Carter Witz, on Flickr

I know these are flowers in pots, however with a little tweaking they could be alien world foliage:
ImageGrey Wheels Up-Cycled by Barbara Hoel, on Flickr

Tree Tutorial:
ImageAutumn Tree - Breakdown by Ayrlego, on Flickr

PB's Venusian foliage - the alien plants in background are just plain remarkable
ImageVenusian "Orchid Mantis" Battlesuit by P. B., on Flickr

And check out CADmonkey's battle report - this was one of my favorite uses of natural terrain I have seen in a MFZ game. In my opinion the terrain in this battle is fantastic. The trees and bushes are simple to make and design, but yet don't seem to lack in the visual department, they all work really well together. And that house in the middle is just so stinkin awesome. Bigger, juicier, plumpier (also the green felt mat gives it a very nice touch)

I hope this helps to spark some ideas, generate different concepts, and help expand your creativity. Happy building! :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:50 pm

This is my Flickr album for Terrain. "Natural" items tend to get thrown together at the last minute if we feel like we need any. There's only a few things that are purpose built and stick around. Here's my Brickshelf gallery for Terrain. There's some stuff in there that isn't on Flickr.

Cherry Trees, on Flickr.

These are going to feature pretty heavily in an upcoming table setting.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Terrain