Imbrium Lunokhod Industries VS-A/F-91a 'Varuna'

Show off and discuss your Mobile Frame designs

Imbrium Lunokhod Industries VS-A/F-91a 'Varuna'

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

I've been away from the Hangar for a while, but I've still been building at my normal (glacial) pace.

VS-A/F-91a 'Varuna' by Jay Biquadrate

The Varuna is the next step in a long history of ILI frames. From a design perspective, the Varuna is much closer to the 'Akua' family of frames than the 'Rangi' line. But it's enough of a departure from the previous offerings, that I'd probably consider it the start of a new lineage.

I'm very happy with the way that the design worked out and I'm particularly excited that the frame (unlike many of my recent builds) is very obviously will under max size for the scale. It looks brawny next to a chub, but fits comfortably inside the sizing box.

The impetus for the frame design was my continued obsession with optimized shoulder joints. I had a lot of luck splitting the axes of motion on the IMR frame, and I was eager to see what sort of shaping I could get from the minifig blaster piece.

Here's a build collage and a full piece-by-piece breakdown.

20180410_222104-COLLAGE_edit.jpg

20180410_212115_edit.jpg
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Re: Imbrium Lunokhod Industries VS-A/F-91a 'Varuna'

Postby Mantisking » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:25 am

Great stuff as usual. I'll have to take a closer look at the techniques you used.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Woah, such a great silhouette on that thing, Jay!

Deliciously chunky!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Atavism » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm

That's some serious chunk, and the jagged black shapes are right up my alley! Love this!
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks, all!

Mantisking wrote:Great stuff as usual. I'll have to take a closer look at the techniques you used.

I think that the only "new" technique would be using the minifig blaster. It's a seriously underrated piece. I'm surprised that I haven't seen it used more in microscale building. The angled handle and 8 studs means that it should work great as a shoulder (like here), forearms, small torso, or legs (it'd work really well as an implied knee). And that doesn't even get into how it might be used to make systems.

VitorFaria wrote:Woah, such a great silhouette on that thing, Jay!

Deliciously chunky!

It really has quite the imposing stature. This might be the first frame that I've ever designed where I wanted to make a full squad and explore other designs on top of the same skeleton.

Atavism wrote:That's some serious chunk, and the jagged black shapes are right up my alley! Love this!

It's a shame that black is so hard to photograph, I'm glad that you like it as much as I do.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Mantisking wrote:Great stuff as usual. I'll have to take a closer look at the techniques you used.
Jay Biquadrate wrote:I think that the only "new" technique would be using the minifig blaster. It's a seriously underrated piece. I'm surprised that I haven't seen it used more in microscale building. The angled handle and 8 studs means that it should work great as a shoulder (like here), forearms, small torso, or legs (it'd work really well as an implied knee). And that doesn't even get into how it might be used to make systems.

I used it as a upper arm piece in a test-bed design I haven't posted yet. I also use it as the Movement System for my Obelisk frames. I don't really have enough of them to go crazy using them as a core piece in a build.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 am

Really nice to see you back, some of your work has been nothing less of superb. It's nice to see that your current work is really great too. I really like the Varuna. Nice build, design, and as you remarked I also like the scale. It does have a "brauny" look to it, which I rather like. Thank you for the breakdown also :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jay Biquadrate » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:53 am

KungFujiApple wrote:Really nice to see you back, some of your work has been nothing less of superb. It's nice to see that your current work is really great too. I really like the Varuna. Nice build, design, and as you remarked I also like the scale. It does have a "brauny" look to it, which I rather like. Thank you for the breakdown also.

Thanks for the compliments, and you're welcome for the breakdown. I often neglect to post them because I'm on to the next thing, but I'm always happy to share knowledge and techniques with the community.

This frame is probably one of my first where it really ticks all of the boxes and makes we want to spin up a whole squad. 1) it's solidly in scale, 2) it looks awesome, 3) It's stable and durable enough to be a good game piece, 4) I have enough pieces to whip up three or four of them.
Jay Biquadrate
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Jay Biquadrate wrote:. 1) it's solidly in scale, 2) it looks awesome, 3) It's stable and durable enough to be a good game piece, 4) I have enough pieces to whip up three or four of them.

1) yes indeed, 2) yes indeed, 3) yes indeed again, 4) that would be awesome, seeing a squad of these would be pretty kickin :D
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Frame Designs