A pile of newbie questions

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

A pile of newbie questions

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 am

Hi folks,

Recently started playing this game and enthusiastically spent the better part of two days building a dozen frames from me and my brother's old lego collection. Having played my first game recently, a number of issues came up that we didn't know how to resolve. Of course, we just called something and kept playing, but I wonder if there's an 'official' consensus to them:

1. On taking damage, the rulebook says:
Taking damage doesn’t affect the dice you’ve already rolled unless the frame is destroyed. They’re yours to use until the end of this mobile frame’s turn.

Are frames still considered to have their destroyed systems for all purposes, or just for dice? For instance, can a frame whose gun was just destroyed still shoot, and can a frame whose spotting system was just destroyed still spot through cover?

2. If a frame is firing a single-shot missile -and only a single-shot missile-, can it swap in one of its' white dice for the attack roll?

3. I think I know this one by RAW, but to be certain:
If you have any movement systems or if you rolled the green 8-sided die for carrying no ranged weapons, you can pass through cover as though it weren’t there. Otherwise, you have to go around it.

This means you can move through cover even when using a white die, right?

4. You can avoid a point of damage by moving a ruler unit directly away from a station. What (apart from the very real and justified threat of losing friends) is stopping me from positioning my stations in such a way that moving away from a station carries me into range of another one, allowing me to 'bounce' back and forth preventing all damage?

Thanks in advance!
- Roland the Barbarian
"So in the end, the whole game comes down to whether or not I make this 4+ roll."
- Me, somehow in at least half the games I play
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Re: A pile of newbie questions

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 am

Hi, welcome to the Hangar!

1. You can use all the dice you already rolled in the turn. I believe the idea is that the frame shot already, you're just resolving the shot.

2. Yes.

3. Yes. As long you have the green dice you can swap the white and move the same way.

4. Good question, having stations that close together is usually bad practice so it never came up in my games. I assume fair play would make you move the frame away from all stations.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the rapid response!

Regarding 4: we just ruled a frame could only prevent a single point of damage each shot (which I think is RAI, looking at the wording). Even then it's still quite powerful, so I think it's better to just disallow stations being placed within three units of one another (or to just be a good sport about it, but that goes for everything).
"So in the end, the whole game comes down to whether or not I make this 4+ roll."
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 pm

Roland the Barbarian wrote:Thanks for the rapid response!

Regarding 4: we just ruled a frame could only prevent a single point of damage each shot (which I think is RAI, looking at the wording). Even then it's still quite powerful, so I think it's better to just disallow stations being placed within three units of one another (or to just be a good sport about it, but that goes for everything).

There are times when you only have one Station, so this situation may not come up that often. Also, keep in mind that if you can bounce between Stations like that, then it's easy for an opponent to capture them.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:41 pm

I encourage all my opponents to put their stations 3 units away from each other. Just to be a good sport about it.

(It's a legal move, but I think you'll find the cost far outweighs the benefits. But try it out and give a full battle report! I'd love to see how it comes out in your case!)
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:59 am

Oh wow, it's been a while since I last checked in here. I'm surprised to see this thread got more replies since :D

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:(It's a legal move, but I think you'll find the cost far outweighs the benefits. But try it out and give a full battle report! I'd love to see how it comes out in your case!)

I think some friends and I have been making vague half-plans for playing another game for at least half a year now, but nothing ever came of it. If we somehow magically manage to align schedules to play a game, I'll report back with my findings :P
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:12 am

When it comes to 4 the way I look at it is it a response thing, so you moved your 1 and your done, period. You had your response, doing it another time is out of context because you have not been attacked again...yet.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:When it comes to 4 the way I look at it is it a response thing, so you moved your 1 and your done, period. You had your response, doing it another time is out of context because you have not been attacked again...yet.

This is fair, but even when playing it this way it is a flat-out damage reduction of 1, which is really powerful.

So far, we've always played it as "the attacker decides in which direction the frame is moved, until it is just over 1 unit away from the station". That solves the issue altogether, and makes abandoning the station a bit more punishing.
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Postby ironnerd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:51 pm

I am a little confused on one point - maybe I missed it in the rules.

My "Rabid Fox" has a single d6Rd d8Rd weapon system. It takes damage to (surprise) it's weapon. Do I...
A) Remove the d8Rd , and carry on with a d6Rd system?
b) Disable the entire system?
ironnerd
Newcomer

Postby Mantisking » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:54 pm

ironnerd wrote:I am a little confused on one point - maybe I missed it in the rules.

My "Rabid Fox" has a single d6Rd d8Rd weapon system. It takes damage to (surprise) it's weapon. Do I...
A) Remove the d8Rd , and carry on with a d6Rd system?
b) Disable the entire system?

A single weapon system is d6Rd d6Rd , d6Ra d6Ra , or d6Rh d6Rh. You only get the d8 when it is two systems.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby ironnerd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes... My post was in error. As it turns out, I'm kind of a newb.
As clarified by @Mantisking, a d6Rd d6Rd is a single weapon system, while two weapon systems would be d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd .

My "Rabid Fox" has d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd. It takes damage to (surprise) a weapon system. Do I...
A) Remove the d8Rd , and carry on with a d6Rd d6Rd system?
B) Remove the d6Rd d6Rd , and carry on with a d8Rd system?
C) Pick A) or B)
D) Lose the ability to attack at direct range (without using a d6W )?
ironnerd
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:38 pm

ironnerd wrote:Yes... My post was in error. As it turns out, I'm kind of a newb.
As clarified by @Mantisking, a d6Rd d6Rd is a single weapon system, while two weapon systems would be d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd .

My "Rabid Fox" has d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd. It takes damage to (surprise) a weapon system. Do I...
A) Remove the d8Rd , and carry on with a d6Rd d6Rd system?
B) Remove the d6Rd d6Rd , and carry on with a d8Rd system?
C) Pick A) or B)
D) Lose the ability to attack at direct range (without using a d6W )?

So every point of damage taken is A system that comes off. As the reciever you chose what systems come off.

If you take one damage and want to remove one of your 2 direct fire systems, you remove the d8Rd option to your direct attacks as you have to have two systems to utilize the eight sided die for that attack.

Given when a frame rolls ALL the dice in response to being attacked and keep all their dice (unless totally destroy) you still have the result of the d8Rd to use THAT turn in your frame's response. In the following turns the d8Rd gone from use.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:41 pm

ironnerd wrote:D) Lose the ability to attack at direct range (without using a d6W )?

Also d6W can't make a direct attack on its own. It can always make a hand to hand attack OR substitute a roll from a weapon system/attack you rolled.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Green, yeallow, and blue are all one dice per system, red is the odd one. One system is two red d6, two systems gives you red 2d6 + d8.

Losing one out of two red systems of the same type means you have only one system of that type, hence you got red 2d6 left.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby ironnerd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 pm

That makes sense. I just needed a little clarification.

Thanks.
ironnerd
Newcomer

Return to Rapid Attack