Ijad symbols & myths

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Ijad symbols & myths

Postby gusindor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm wondering if there are any symbols Ijad associate with their beliefs. Do they have anything like a Crucifix, Star of David, Yin Yang, Thor's Hammer, Ankh, etc?

It would also be nice to know some mythological terms, so that mechs with symbolic names like Lancelot, Unicorn, Goliath etc. aren't exclusive to humans.
Last edited by gusindor on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
User avatar
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:07 pm

They're big on writing. They use the word "BHADAL" in particular, which is their central tenet, as a rallying cry, in calligraphy, and all over the place. It literally means "community", but it has connotations of both fierce loyalty and a defiance of those who would try to control the community.
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby mraichelson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 am

Any pointers on what kind of style Ijad calligraphy might take? Ijad/human pairs could be doing something in English or the like. But is there a native Ijad writing system of some sort? Or just something to relate it back to (kind of like Arabic and Sanskrit viewed through a kaleidoscope) that might be able to be pulled from for any of us screwy enough to think "hm, banners, yeah"?
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
User avatar
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Columbia, MO, US

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 am

Yeah, I haven't posted anything publicly except for BHADAL. I'll make a hi-res version in a minute.

OK, here you go! This is the decal sheet (which will be available for purchase at some point): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/139 ... ecals1.pdf

You can see Ijad numbers in the upper left. BHADAL can be seen in Ijad to the right and below center. It's blue.
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby mraichelson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Awesome! Danke.
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
User avatar
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Columbia, MO, US

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Kiavahr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

That is a kickass decal sheet. How is that going to be made available? Adhesive transparency, waterslide transfer... ?
User avatar
Kiavahr
Talkative
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby pasukaru76 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:03 pm

What's the Katakana on the red logo supposed to read? I'm thinking it says "seru sutairu" (which could be a mangled up "zero style" or something).
User avatar
pasukaru76
Talkative
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Yeah, I haven't posted anything publicly except for BHADAL. I'll make a hi-res version in a minute.

OK, here you go! This is the decal sheet (which will be available for purchase at some point): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/139 ... ecals1.pdf

You can see Ijad numbers in the upper left. BHADAL can be seen in Ijad to the right and below center. It's blue.

I love the Join or Die, very nice Revolutionary throwback... I assume that's for the Free Colonists?

And now I MUST know what all the symbols are! D:
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
User avatar
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:44 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby mraichelson » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Banzai Institute!

(Also the WARNING stickers are hilarious.)
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
User avatar
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm
Location: Columbia, MO, US

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Kiavahr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 pm

pasukaru76 wrote:What's the Katakana on the red logo supposed to read? I'm thinking it says "seru sutairu" (which could be a mangled up "zero style" or something).

Close. Cell*Style.
User avatar
Kiavahr
Talkative
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 pm
Location: Victoria, British Columbia

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Soren » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:34 am

I've played around with various eye and hand symbols; I think they'd conceptualize a lot of their religious imagery in eye-and-hand terms. It's a very tidy perception/action dichotomy.

The symbol I have for the Armored of God is in line with that. I imagine they then paint their frames, ships, houses, etc. with various hand, claw, foot, and other appendage symbols, to symbolize that they act as God directs them to. It's intentionally kind of creepy.

God (ahu) is, of course, the Billion Eyes/Hands/Voices (it varies depending on context; the subtext being that God's sight/acts/words are clear and without confusion, but are a summation of the sight, acts, and words of all people) and One. The specifics may vary, but we're all saying the same things - and so Ijad religious symbols have certain basic characteristics, but vary a lot in execution.
Last edited by Soren on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
User avatar
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 am
Location: Low Earth Orbit

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby milt69466 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:43 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:OK, here you go! This is the decal sheet (which will be available for purchase at some point): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/139 ... ecals1.pdf

NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
NYANNYAN NYAN NYAN
NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN NYAN
NYANNYAN NYAN NYAN

:lol:
Image
banner by milt69466, on Flickr
我们是红色团体,争取桃子!
User avatar
milt69466
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 pm
Location: ShangHai China

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm gonna be selling those decal sheets soon. They're 5-color, transparent stickers. You cut them out yourself. The lens faces in the lower left are by Soren, by the way.

The warning labels were really fun to write. I'm particularly pleased with THIS END TOWARD ENEMY written four-meters wide, but mostly I think fine print is the greatest font of humor our society has ever produced.

There are a bunch of shout-outs in the unit markers! The non-Banzai ones are all anime. Well, kinda except for Cel*Style.
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Archangel6 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm gonna be selling those decal sheets soon. They're 5-color, transparent stickers. You cut them out yourself. The lens faces in the lower left are by Soren, by the way.

The warning labels were really fun to write. I'm particularly pleased with THIS END TOWARD ENEMY written four-meters wide, but mostly I think fine print is the greatest font of humor our society has ever produced.

There are a bunch of shout-outs in the unit markers! The non-Banzai ones are all anime. Well, kinda except for Cel*Style.


I know this is going WAY-back...but was wondering if anyone knew where or how to get ahold of this old decal sheet??
Archangel6
Newcomer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby Trokodile » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Archangel6 wrote:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm gonna be selling those decal sheets soon. They're 5-color, transparent stickers. You cut them out yourself. The lens faces in the lower left are by Soren, by the way.

The warning labels were really fun to write. I'm particularly pleased with THIS END TOWARD ENEMY written four-meters wide, but mostly I think fine print is the greatest font of humor our society has ever produced.

There are a bunch of shout-outs in the unit markers! The non-Banzai ones are all anime. Well, kinda except for Cel*Style.


I know this is going WAY-back...but was wondering if anyone knew where or how to get ahold of this old decal sheet??


I personally bought one at PAX East; I think it's the main way to get them. Joshua sells them there each year. Not sure if this is close by to you, but I hope this helps.
As of August 30, 2019, I have 13 frames photographed that I haven't put here yet. They, as well as all my photographs, can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f1dlHOhWX4s6nfTW1FWh4Uqhoc6usAIG
User avatar
Trokodile
Talkative
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:55 am
Location: Somewhere on the planet Earth

Re: Ijad symbols & myths

Postby LordShadeck » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Can i ask that avesome sheet again?!
Does somebody have it?

Pls ... :cry:
Lord Cpt. B. "Shadeck" Miller.
Sagittarius rift - 5329452
Planetary Defense Forces, 1st. regiment, 3rd. company

"Stand tall, and believe!"
User avatar
LordShadeck
Newcomer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 am
Location: Budapest


Return to Mobile Frame Background

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron