Alloys Combined with other materials

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Alloys Combined with other materials

Postby Rasann » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I was wondering if it was possible to combine an Alloy, such a steel, with a mineral/crystal resource such as Obsidian? I ask because in the RPG game I'm currently playing in, my character has what we have called "Dragonsteel" which is obsidian combined with steel to give it more unique properties.

I'm not sure what is the standing on it so I'd ask, I'm trying to figure out what resource(s) would stand out on my world (Falasine) but I was thinking perhaps being so heavily enriched with minerals etc...perhaps the locals have found a way to combine such an alloy with another material
Kasrite Combine - Ruling Faction of the world of Falasine
Falas Industries - Manufacturing Juggernaut of Falasine
Kalas R&D - Kalas' Premiere Frame Equipment research/manufacturing firm
Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Re: Alloys Combined with other materials

Postby ShortenWeaponry » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:00 pm

I think it's not that hard. If You can have high carbon japanese steel, why wouldn't you combine obsydian with steel. Funny thing obsidian is mainly mainly alloy of iron :D
Sorry for my english It's late here and I'm sleepy :D
ShortenWeaponry
Young Gun

Postby Rasann » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Postby Talusmouse » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't know about your planet but Gundam Wing had a pretty plausible idea for "Special Metals" The Gundiaum Alloy from the series came from materials on floating asteroids that were melted together by the sun's heat. As long as their is some sort of reaction from temperatures or chemicals you could right up an material you so desire.
Talusmouse
Young Gun

Postby Foxfire » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Talusmouse wrote:I don't know about your planet but Gundam Wing had a pretty plausible idea for "Special Metals" The Gundiaum Alloy from the series came from materials on floating asteroids that were melted together by the sun's heat. As long as their is some sort of reaction from temperatures or chemicals you could right up an material you so desire.

There is also the zero-g efect. Some composite structures and alloys can only be formed in a zero g environment.
Brute force and ignorance can solve any problem. The application of brute force and ignorance may create other new problems, but those problem can also be solved with brute force and ignorance. -An old roomate
Foxfire
Chatty

Postby Rasann » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 am

Got some ideas rolling in my frontal lobe here. Thanks :)
Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Postby Wordman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

Googling for "alloy metal and glass" yields amorphous metal as its first hit.
Wordman
Talkative

Postby Rasann » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:16 am

thanks, I'll look it up
Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:57 pm

one of my materials is 'Foamed-Aluminum Silklyte' . . Silklyte is spider silk woven with Nylar ..Nylar is nylon and kevlar micro-strands. Foamed Aluminum is aluminum that is elctro-heated causing it to foam.
It is then sprayed over Silklyte panels when cured it creates a lightweight flexible armor.
Last edited by A YATES INDUSTRIALS on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Alloys are metals combined with other materials. Steel is iron and carbon. Bronze is copper and silicon. Titanium is usually actually titanium and iron.

Obsidian is a glass; that is, a silicate. Could you make an iron/silicon alloy? I don't know! Let's ask the Internet!

You can! It's sure not a mighty industrial steel, though.

So, you want something amazingly flexible? Or you want a material that's super hard? Those are usually in opposition; speaking of Japanese steel, part of what makes it work (as well as some really neato Viking steel) is case hardening: that is, the edge (which has to be hard to keep an edge) is allowed to cool slowly (making coherent, rigid, well-formed crystals) while the rest of the blade is cooled quickly (making half-formed, flexible, amorphous crystals). Voilá! Hard and flexible!

Titanium's neatotude comes from its extraordinarily high modulus of flexibility; that is, many alloys can be bent waaaay out of shape before they will stop snapping back. It's not very hard, though; it's resistant to cutting because it has very low heat conductivity, which makes it sticky at high heat. It's also flammable, which is pretty exciting.

Where the real action is at is with composite materials; that is, materials with different characteristics bonded together on a macroscopic level. Carbon fiber, fiberglass, bamboo fiber, and other such materials work well because you put the fibers in the direction where they work the best (oddly, in compression most of the time) and then hold them in place by soaking them with a resin that keeps them from delaminating when they flex. You can then cover those with a piece of, say, titanium (flexy) and ceramic scales (hard and with a high specific heat) to get a hard, flexible, heat-resistant plate.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Foxfire » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Just a quick nitpicky thing. Bronze is usually copper and tin.
Brute force and ignorance can solve any problem. The application of brute force and ignorance may create other new problems, but those problem can also be solved with brute force and ignorance. -An old roomate
Foxfire
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Yeah, or tin, or lots of other things that are considered bronze. Historically, it's meant a lot of copper alloys. It's not like there were ancient standards boards for this kind of thing.

By contrast, modern brass is copper with zinc and I don't know any other meanings for it.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Foxfire » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:46 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Yeah, or tin, or lots of other things that are considered bronze. Historically, it's meant a lot of copper alloys. It's not like there were ancient standards boards for this kind of thing.

By contrast, modern brass is copper with zinc and I don't know any other meanings for it.

Yeah, I had to look it up to be sure, that is when I found out bronze is usually made with tin, but not always.
Foxfire
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Oh, brass is sometimes made with lead, but then it's called "leaded brass". It cuts really evenly because of the smooth, lubricating effect of the lead, which then makes your children stupid.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Rasann » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks! :D
Falasine
Rasann
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Background