Question from a newbie

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Question from a newbie

Postby AIPilgrim » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:00 am

Apologies if this question has an obvious answer. I have recently purchased a set of rules but I am a bit confused about the following. Are all units Mobile Frames or are some purely robots?
AIPilgrim
Newcomer

Re: Question from a newbie

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:28 am

AIPilgrim wrote:Apologies if this question has an obvious answer. I have recently purchased a set of rules but I am a bit confused about the following. Are all units Mobile Frames or are some purely robots?

Within the setting of the game they are all Mobile Frames but you will see the term piloted robot in the book and in other places which is where I presume the confusion comes from. Robot can also mean machine resembling a human (or animal) and able to replicate certain human (animal) movements and functions; some portions automatic.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby AIPilgrim » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 am

Many thanks for the prompt response. So if I understand this correctly, some units are Mobile Frames carrying and operated by a pilot, while others are mechanised robots which are programmed and operated remotely. The rules make no distinction between these. Is that correct?
AIPilgrim
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:13 am

AIPilgrim wrote:Many thanks for the prompt response. So if I understand this correctly, some units are Mobile Frames carrying and operated by a pilot, while others are mechanised robots which are programmed and operated remotely. The rules make no distinction between these. Is that correct?

They are all frames; they all have pilots. Piloted Robot = Mobile Frame; same thing.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Atavism » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 am

According to the lore everything is a piloted mech/frame/robot/battlesuit/pick a noun. Preprogrammed robots, good AI and other autonomous devices either don't exist or suck badly enough not to count.

As for the rules, the only unit is a "frame," and they all run off of the same rules for gameplay. That said, your "frames" can be piloted mechs or robots or swarms of drones or Kaiju or tanks or big stupid rainbow shooting unicorns. They're still considered "frames" and use the same rules.

*And obviously there are space ships in Intercept Orbit.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:49 am

Atavism wrote:big stupid rainbow shooting unicorns.

This needs to be a thing...

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Atavism wrote:As for the rules, the only unit is a "frame," and they all run off of the same rules for gameplay. That said, your "frames" can be piloted mechs or robots or swarms of drones or Kaiju or tanks or big stupid rainbow shooting unicorns. They're still considered "frames" and use the same rules.

I hate to “correct” this as it so perfectly defines what's possible, but I think it's worth saying that the are essentially two types of game pieces. A frame, as is stated so well here, and a station which is immovable once placed. How you build them and what they represent is also completely up to you. Stations are never combat units as defined by the game rules, but you'll see plenty of station designs which look like gun turrets or robots if you browse the forum long enough.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Background