The mood on Mars

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

The mood on Mars

Postby Fr33land » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:19 pm

What is the mood on Mars?
Do the wealthy energy barons of Southport largely consider themselves the ruling class of the Solar Union?
Has the citizenry of Southport become xenophobic, given that their resources are spent defending the colonies from 'freedom fighters'?
Are the Ijad on Mars? Are there refugees or immigrants to Mars?
Their wealth seems dependent on trade with Jupiter, I believe.
I picture a Red Mars movement, trying to make Mars great again. Circle the wagons using the threat of free colonies and a frightening alien religion as justification.
Fr33land
Young Gun

Re: The mood on Mars

Postby Soren » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 pm

In order:
- Fairly good. The war was almost three generations ago, the postwar generations have largely accepted the status quo. There are fringe losers who don't, but they're comparable to modern German neo-Nazis; no one likes them very much, because they're dicks, and they have very little real power.
- Nobody on Mars is in a position to consider themselves the ruling class of anything not on Mars. It's still a colony, not a metropole, although it's the biggest, oldest colony.
- Not especially, they see themselves as 'the loyal colony', the model that other colonies should follow to prosper under Solar Union authority. More paternalistic than xenophobic (and not wrong, precisely; if the extrasolar colonies had the same level of access to Earth and representation in the governing bodies of the Solar Union, they'd be a lot more content).
- Without crushing anybody's current or future story plans; yes and yes.
- Mars is dependent on trade generally, but not with any one planet; Earth is an important source of consumer goods and biological everything.
- I really don't see it. Mars is already quite a bit 'greater' than it was in the recent past; terraforming and independence have been unabashed goods for the entire planet, and everyone who isn't a water balloon full of ressentiment knows that.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Fr33land » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:29 pm

Maybe I just saw mobile suit gundam iron clad children.
Fr33land
Young Gun

Postby gusindor » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:09 am

Fr33land wrote:Maybe I just saw mobile suit gundam iron clad children.

You mean Iron Blooded Orphans? I love that show!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background