How are frames controlled?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Re: How are frames controlled?

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:51 am

Soren wrote:Eye candy time!

Why would that poor bastard have thought he stood any chance against that thing?

I really liked the music in that.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby carbonbass » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:42 am

Wadmaasi wrote:

Why would that poor bastard have thought he stood any chance against that thing?

He couldn't get away if he had wanted to, it was do or die time and he knew it.

Gundam Unicorn so far has pretty much the best OST out of any MSG production at this point in my humble opinion.
"You find two men having a fist fight over peaches, sell both of them a rock, then let them fight some more. After that, offer to sell one of them a rock tied to a stick, and see who will pay more." ~ Loyd Wilson - Wilson Industries.
carbonbass
Talkative

Postby Soren » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Wadmaasi wrote:

I actually got in this nerdfight at the time - given the circumstances, he did exactly the right thing:

- Pin and herd her with long-range missile fire, preventing her from bringing her funnels on target.
- Dump any and all extra weight to maximize maneuverability.
- Close to hand-to-hand combat, where her advantages are minimal.

If he'd been just a hair quicker, he would have stabbed right through her cockpit and won.

Music's great, yeah. Here's the track.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby addking » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Side note on that song, there's a version of it on the 2nd OST it's Track 15, also called 'Mobile Suit' it's a big longer at 4:10 or so.
addking
Talkative

Postby Dukayn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Soren wrote:I actually got in this nerdfight at the time - given the circumstances, he did exactly the right thing:

- Pin and herd her with long-range missile fire, preventing her from bringing her funnels on target.
- Dump any and all extra weight to maximize maneuverability.
- Close to hand-to-hand combat, where her advantages are minimal.

If he'd been just a hair quicker, he would have stabbed right through her cockpit and won.

I was thinking something similar. If not for that thrust just being slightly off, he'd have won.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Zero Revenge » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Check the chorded key commands starting at 1:43 - it's a similar concept.

Ah! The Stark Jegan pilot, "cousin" of the Byalant Custom pilot.

I damn well near squee'd myself in joy at the Stark Jegan's surprisingly good fight. Kudos to you, Londo Bell.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ryujin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:20 am

Zero Revenge wrote:

Check the chorded key commands starting at 1:43 - it's a similar concept.

Ah! The Stark Jegan pilot, "cousin" of the Byalant Custom pilot.

I damn well near squee'd myself in joy at the Stark Jegan's surprisingly good fight. Kudos to you, Londo Bell.

Imagine the nerdrage if it was Yuu Kajima piloting (and dying in) the Stark Jegan, instead of nameless elite pilot. As it was, I guess that Marida's Ple-ness was just enough to tip the scales in her favor.
Ryujin
Chatty

Postby Zero Revenge » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:27 am

Ryujin wrote:Imagine the nerdrage if it was Yuu Kajima piloting (and dying in) the Stark Jegan, instead of nameless elite pilot. As it was, I guess that Marida's Ple-ness was just enough to tip the scales in her favor.

Ah ha, I remember all the speculation from the Byalant Custom's pilot too. Keith, Kou, and so many other names thrown around too. Ahhhh, Episode 5 is soon upon us again.

Oh, and for those who don't know the glory of the Byalant Custom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

Is it bad that I can't help but MFZ-stat a suit when I see it now?

Byalant Custom.
System 1 - Hand to Hand. (Claws)
System 2 - Direct Fire/H2H Hybrid (Beam Machine Gun/Sabers)
System 3 - Flight Pack

Uh oh, I need help...
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby carbonbass » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am

Zero Revenge wrote:
Ryujin wrote:Imagine the nerdrage if it was Yuu Kajima piloting (and dying in) the Stark Jegan, instead of nameless elite pilot. As it was, I guess that Marida's Ple-ness was just enough to tip the scales in her favor.

Ah ha, I remember all the speculation from the Byalant Custom's pilot too. Keith, Kou, and so many other names thrown around too. Ahhhh, Episode 5 is soon upon us again.

Oh, and for those who don't know the glory of the Byalant Custom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NkBhgJwFCI

Is it bad that I can't help but MFZ-stat a suit when I see it now?

Byalant Custom.
System 1 - Hand to Hand. (Claws)
System 2 - Direct Fire/H2H Hybrid (Beam Machine Gun/Sabers)
System 3 - Flight Pack

Uh oh, I need help...

I had just finished Zeta when Episode 4 was released. I began cheering when the Byarlant Custom started wrecking face.
"You find two men having a fist fight over peaches, sell both of them a rock, then let them fight some more. After that, offer to sell one of them a rock tied to a stick, and see who will pay more." ~ Loyd Wilson - Wilson Industries.
carbonbass
Talkative

Postby Soren » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 am

Maybe I'm just a huge troll - but I choose to believe that the Byarlant Custom's pilot was Monsha.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby gusindor » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Going back to how 'frames are controlled...

How about voice commands? For more complicated maneuvers,you program the motions into your 'frame ahead of time, and map the sequence to a specific word or phrase. In the field, when you call out the command, your 'frame automatically performs the move. It wouldn't require super-advanced AI, since the human makes all the decisions, and the computer just carries out the motions. And simple things like walking, shooting, jumping etc. are still done manually, since having the pilots chant "walk, walk, walk," is just silly.

For example, say Zooser has a move that involves blasting the enemy with exhauset from his jump jets. It requires some serious multitasking that's hard to do in the heat of combat. So he just calls out "Spicy Chicken Surprise" and his autopilot does the move, so that he can't hutch it up by freaking out.

Y'know, like one does when flying backwards surrounded by fire.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Postby The Hydromancer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Soren wrote:Maybe I'm just a huge troll - but I choose to believe that the Byarlant Custom's pilot was Monsha.

I could live with that. I was always a fan of the older Aces who got to the top through skill and determination, not because because a) they had a super power b) they drunk the supersoldier kool-aid or c) daddy didn't hug them enough. When done right, they always had the best moves because they had to be just that good to keep up with the others. Which sorta leads me into my next comment; I love Gundam Unicorn for showing tons of grunts and elites going wall to wall. Not just that, but making it look so damn sexy. That GM with the beam trident? I'd hit that.

gusindor wrote:Going back to how 'frames are controlled...

How about voice commands? For more complicated maneuvers,you program the motions into your 'frame ahead of time, and map the sequence to a specific word or phrase.

I am The Hydromancer, and I approve this message. I always thought this kinda thing made great sense as a special form of control in the heat of battle. In a fit of fringe brilliance (thank you TV Tropes!), it also totally justifies yelling your super attacks name in most giant robot anime. You aren't trying to be over the top, its not just a battle cry, its a vocial macro!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
Wears down the cliff tops, the mountains.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_hydromancer/
Master Chubdam Database
Master Solar Union/Federation Fleet Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of yelling your technique name and having the frame play a macro, with the pilot controlling parameters on the fly. It also means that you could have training montages as you build the move.

Practically speaking, Siri can't understand me if there's wind, though, so there's no way I'd rely on it for split-second life-and-death moves while I'm getting pounded by .50 caliber bullets.

TORNADO FIST!

I think you said, "Tomato fist". Is that what you want?
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby The Hydromancer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Assuming all pilots are wearing helms for HUD and such, I would think there would be a conviently placed mic in there for comms. Just, you know, make sure you aren't on teamspeak when you yell "COLOSSAL MANHOOD' to activate the rapid fire barrage mode for your long barrelled mortar tube thats bottom mounted to your frame's pelvis area.
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Until the system interprets that as "COLA, Sell my Nude!" and puts the copy of your nude portrait (Hey, it was college, and the art department was offering good money...we won't judge) up on whatever accounts for Ebay at the time >.>
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The Hydromancer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

XGundam05 wrote:Until the system interprets that as "COLA, Sell my Nude!" and puts the copy of your nude portrait (Hey, it was college, and the art department was offering good money...we won't judge) up on whatever accounts for Ebay at the time >.>

... why would that be a macro? Further more, why would that be a macro installed on your Frame? Thats just really weird and- oh wait. What if it spammed your opponent's frame? :twisted:

You've got mail!
Water is patient.
Water just waits.
The whole of the world.
Water always wins.

Master Chubdam Database
The Hydromancer
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:22 pm

A literal spam attack! Vicious. Probably wouldn't affect individual frames (even if your car is connected to the Internet, the steering system probably isn't) but imagine trying to give orders with the enemy's theme music blaring over your airwaves! (or whatever communications tech they use)

Hey Joshua, Soren, or anyone else who knows, is there an "official" word on communications tech?
gusindor

Postby gusindor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:
TORNADO FIST!

I think you said, "Tomato fist". Is that what you want?
That's the pilot's fault for giving their techniques names that are too similar. In that case, they should reprogram the intended macro to something more distinct, like "CYCLONE PUNCH" "HURRICANE PALM" et cetera. They could also call it something like "ALPHA SEVEN INVERSE J" but that might be harder to remember what it does. Or just delete "tomato fist," because what the hutch would that even do? If you're smart about naming your macros, mistaken words shouldn't be a problem. And if you recorded the command phrase being said by the pilot, then accents would only be a problem if it's not your frame. And Zooser doesn't want someone who stole his frame to also have access to his moves!
Last edited by gusindor on Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gusindor

Postby Xero010 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:24 pm

Well, I'd hate to have to repeat myself to a voice esystem in combat where split seconds matter. It would be the like the real life equivalent of LAG.
Except the equivalent of flipping the table would be ripping out your "Siri" system before you eject. . .

"TORNADO FIST!!!"
"Tomato Fist?"
"TORNADO FIST!!!!!!!!"
"I'm sure you said Tornado Fist. I's that what you meant?"
*Explosion in background*
"SIRI YOU SON OF A-"
This also makes me wonder what happens when an enemy sabotages it. It might end up singing "Daisy, Daisy" while your trying to survive.
Not trying to be a douche but this brings up a lot of interesting combat scenarios that make me laugh :)
It could be useful for things such as scanning and communication though.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Im glad this voice macro thing is okay, i was already planning on incorporating it for my frames. Weapons like my beam sabres or my heat/stun hammers obviously require a steady stream of power which drains the generator very quickly if left unchecked, so that's why they are activated by vocalization of the weapon name. :)
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Background