Book frames: Loadout interpretations

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Book frames: Loadout interpretations

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 27, 2016 10:09 am

Thread to discuss loadout interpratations from the book frames.

CmdrRook wrote:
Addendum: Stat Examples interpreted from the build instructions and official demo games;
Chub: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B (the build instructions are surprisingly bare-bones, alt build on pg 67 for heavier firepower d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6Y)
Osprey: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6Y (alt build on pg 66 uses different pieces for the same loadout)
Hi-Leg: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d6Y (I've seen the pod on the left side of the frame used as a second direct, an artillery, and a sensor pod, alternatively)
Commisar: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6G d6Y d6Y (I dislike the inclusion of the movement system into the frame's feet as "dust skates" for practical playability reasons, but I have successfully inserted a 1x1 round tile into the clip on the heels as a fix)
Ghanat: d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6Y (alt build on pg 68 changing very few parts and including an SSR; d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6G d8Rr)
Suzerain: d6W d6W d6B d6G d6Y d6Y d8G (A weaponless frame in a demo is a large burden, so Joshua's dropped their movement system for a melee weapon)
VitorFaria wrote:
Should I start a new thread to discuss those interpretations or can I just do it here? (I think it's somewhat interesting)
I never got why some people see a d6G in the standard High-Leg, or the d6B in the standard Chub, what are they supposed to be?
And to me that round brick on the Chubs back looks like an extra motor or fuel tank, making it a d6G .
Also, I interpreted the standard Commissar with the same loadout, but to me the d6G are the thruster looking cones on it's back.
Mantisking wrote:
Let's start a new thread. That way there's no topic drift.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Book frames: Loadout interpretations

Postby Soren » Fri May 27, 2016 9:23 pm

I can't comment on the Osprey, but the Suzerain wasn't intended for the book at all; it's a design I worked up for myself that Joshua included in the book without asking, so whatever stats it got were, I suspect, very last-minute. (Also true of this guy; It's not MF0-related at all, J just decided it was.) Most of the stats are like that to some degree; I wasn't consulted about that stuff much. I've had variable luck trying hand-to-hand stuff on the quad Ijad frames; leg-knives are the best option.

My interpretation has always been that whatever comes with the base build is, at best, one system that's mainly there as a suggestion, like the Chub's rifle (the white cylinder on the backpack is a spare ammo drum, IIRC). Which doesn't stop you from deciding that various odds and ends are systems when you need them to be. I've just always built-up my Chubs or Scramblers or whatever under the assumption that the core frame is more or less d6W d6W only.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 27, 2016 10:25 pm

Very interesting! I've always wanted to know the your say about that!

And is that guy the fabled High-Leg with arms? :D
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Sat May 28, 2016 12:30 am

VitorFaria wrote:I never got why some people see a d6G in the standard High-Leg, or the d6B in the standard Chub, what are they supposed to be?
I think it comes a bit from the inference of traits based on each frame's appearance or role: the Chub appears well-armored and is a dedicated military frame so the assumption that frame should have a defense system (plus it's really easy to pull the large slope off the chest for the loss this "system"); the Hi-Leg with it's namesake long legs might seem to infer a longer stride or emphasis on running hence the movement system (not sure what part someone would remove to represent that damage though).
Last edited by spacemonkey on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Sat May 28, 2016 6:03 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Very interesting! I've always wanted to know the your say about that!

And is that guy the fabled High-Leg with arms? :D

It's a Hi-Leg torso, but I was more interested in the arms and legs at the time, it was just a convenient core I could use.

spacemonkey wrote:
VitorFaria wrote:I never got why some people see a d6G in the standard High-Leg, or the d6B in the standard Chub, what are they supposed to be?
I think it comes a bit from the inference of traits based on each frame's appearance or role: the Chub appears well-armored and is a dedicated military frame so the assumption that frame has a defense system (plus it's really easy to pull the large slope off the chest for the loss this "system"); the Hi-Leg with it's name sake long legs might seems to infer a longer stride or emphasis on running hence the movement system (not sure what part someone would remove to represent that damage though).

Yeah, it's fudging, basically. I've always given my Chubs shields for that (you can make good, cheap shields with these, a 1x2 tile, and a 1x1 round to pin it into the Chub's forearm mount, like so), on the principle that it's better to have your systems clearly delineated. Clarity and style are more important to me than pure practicality as a gamepiece. ;)

If I were adapting the designs for something else, I'd make the Chub a slow-but-powerful bruiser that can dish out and absorb a lot of damage, the Hi-Leg a fragile, quick scout that relies on speed to stay alive, and the Scrambler would be the flexible middle option. MF0 doesn't really allow for frames to have unique, inbuilt qualities like that, but I've always seen them as falling into those niches.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sun May 29, 2016 8:14 am

Soren wrote: (the white cylinder on the backpack is a spare ammo drum, IIRC)..

I always thought it was a battery/powercore...
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby spacemonkey » Sun May 29, 2016 8:58 am

I've always been inclined to believe it was meant as a spare ammo drum after I realized those two round bricks were the only two white pieces in the Chub's build instructions. Also the correlation looks pretty clear in the image below:
ST-07B Chub by [Soren], on Flickr
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Mon May 30, 2016 11:58 am

I've seen the cylinders called spare muscle cylinder fluid for an extra green. Interpretations abounds!
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby gusindor » Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 pm

If it's a battery or muscle fluid, you could also use it for one of the white dice.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Return to Mobile Frame Background