Language of the SU

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Language of the SU

Postby gusindor » Sat May 09, 2015 6:38 pm

What languages are spoken in the SU? Is there a "common" tongue that is spoken by all or at least most people?
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Language of the SU

Postby Soren » Sun May 10, 2015 4:06 pm

At a guess, English and Mandarin tied for the top spot, with oh, say French, Tamil, Hindi, Swahili, Bahasa Melayu/Indonesia, Russian, Cantonese, and one or two others as a 'second tier'. Below that is a lot of regional ferment.

Official documents will be bilingual in English and Mandarin, and be easily available in one of the 'second-tier' languages. Multilingual education is mandatory, with a generous list of options to pick from; most well-educated people speak at least three; English, Mandarin, and one other. Military units will have a 'regimental language' that recruits are expected to know reasonably well when they enlist.

The official status of Ijad languages in the SU, on the other hand, is... contentious.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Foghammer » Wed May 13, 2015 10:42 pm

Soren wrote:At a guess, English and Mandarin tied for the top spot, with oh, say French, Tamil, Hindi, Swahili, Bahasa Melayu/Indonesia, Russian, Cantonese, and one or two others as a 'second tier'. Below that is a lot of regional ferment.

Official documents will be bilingual in English and Mandarin, and be easily available in one of the 'second-tier' languages. Multilingual education is mandatory, with a generous list of options to pick from; most well-educated people speak at least three; English, Mandarin, and one other. Military units will have a 'regimental language' that recruits are expected to know reasonably well when they enlist.

The official status of Ijad languages in the SU, on the other hand, is... contentious.

Spanish is a very common non-English language to see here in the US. I've heard more than one college professor say that everyone should be learning it because it's so prevalent. At least here. Is there a reason it didn't get on the short list?

It doesn't upset me, I was just surprised. I live in an invisible bubble (or is it a blackhole?), so my world view is kind of tiny.
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Soren » Thu May 14, 2015 1:26 am

Foghammer wrote:
Soren wrote:At a guess, English and Mandarin tied for the top spot, with oh, say French, Tamil, Hindi, Swahili, Bahasa Melayu/Indonesia, Russian, Cantonese, and one or two others as a 'second tier'. Below that is a lot of regional ferment.

Spanish is a very common non-English language to see here in the US. I've heard more than one college professor say that everyone should be learning it because it's so prevalent. At least here. Is there a reason it didn't get on the short list?

It doesn't upset me, I was just surprised. I live in an invisible bubble (or is it a blackhole?), so my world view is kind of tiny.

It would probably be one of the 'one or two others'. I did rip this list out at high speed, so it's subject to modification as-needed. You are, of course, correct, that even in the relatively distant future Spanish will be a major language.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Return to Mobile Frame Background