Would a Frame Taser work?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Would a Frame Taser work?

Postby Grass4hopper » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Since muscles cylinders work by absorbing and generating electric current to extend and contract, it seems like you could paralyze the muscle cylinder or make is convulse by sending/absorbing electric current directly from the muscle cylinder or the network of wires that run to the muscle cylinders.

The muscles cylinders and network wires are probably protected on all frames, especially combat frames. However there would weaker points, such as the inside of the elbow and the back of the knee. You could have a melee weapon that pieces the thinner plating, then generate/absorb current. Or you could have a projectile taser that fires cables, like the modern law enforcement taser.

Does that seem like a plausible weapon for the setting?

P.S. please say yes, because I already have one bricked up ;)

EDIT: Now the subject makes sense
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Would a Frame Taser work?

Postby Red_Robot » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 am

I always thought this was a good idea.

APEx-10 by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

...and if you will look at the fella on the left, he is armed with something I call "Arc Swords" which are fusion edges that have a high ion stream output. Designed very much to act like a taser. Game effect: Absolutely nothing, but I like the fluff.

If it inspires you, go nuts.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Zero Revenge » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 am

Why not?

Gouf Custom's Electric Whip.

The "Sea Serpent", also from Gundam.
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/z/line ... erpent.jpg
Last edited by Zero Revenge on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 am

Of course!
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby gusindor » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 pm

The ability to capture a frame without destroying it could be a huge help to less wealthy factions. The well-funded PMCs build the shiny super-prototypes, and then the outlaws taze, repaint and hijack them!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:21 pm

I've been thinking about how to do a police-style MFØ game, inspired by Patlabor, for a while. Subduing and not killing would be a big part of it.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Grass4hopper » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:16 pm

gusindor wrote:The ability to capture a frame without destroying it could be a huge help to less wealthy factions. The well-funded PMCs build the shiny super-prototypes, and then the outlaws taze, repaint and hijack them!

I also assume there might be repossession companies on larger colonies.

Late on payments for your hotrod frames? Watch out, they're coming to get it with or without you inside.

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've been thinking about how to do a police-style MFØ game, inspired by Patlabor, for a while. Subduing and not killing would be a big part of it.

That sounds like a really interesting idea.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:44 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've been thinking about how to do a police-style MFØ game, inspired by Patlabor, for a while. Subduing and not killing would be a big part of it.

Without altering the game mechanics. I suppose that'd be easy. Introduce a Stun Baton weapon that deals HtH damage but only affects systems, not White "Core" Dice...?

...Or just make it fluff based. As a student of Criminology and Policing his entire adult life, in the average situation [there is no "average" situation, but anyway] talking suspects down (in frames or not) is the first step, and you don't draw your weapon unless the suspect is going to inflict harm upon you [the officer] or another innocent citizen. There are many steps in between, intimidation, etc.

So, it seems that you'll need some abstract rule that "any frame that is mechanically-destroyed [all dice systems removed] by a weapon listed as "non-lethal" merely shuts down the frame, versus outright destroying it." So, Tasers, Stun Batons, etc. Anything else [Revolver, Shotguns, etc] still deal lethal damage. But again, this is more fluff changes than true mechanical ones.

...Maybe have said non-lethal weapon slightly harder to damage systems? But then it makes the dice roll so difficult to land a system-damaging-hit that it wouldn't be worth it...
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby FrostCollar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:45 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I've been thinking about how to do a police-style MFØ game, inspired by Patlabor, for a while. Subduing and not killing would be a big part of it.

Oh man, that would be great. It also totally justifies the side handle batons I've been working on as new melee weapons for my frames. It also reminds me of this great art I've seen of a Battletech Urbanmech outfitted for police use.
FrostCollar
Talkative

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 am

All i keep coming back to here are these stun tonfa things from Code Geass:

And while i dislike Patlabor and take issue with the general concept of a police mech... This is a really cool idea (also from Code Geass) for a riot control mecha with wheely feet, a giant wheely riot shield!
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:05 am

Yeah, the big change is in the scoring. But I really, really can't get absorbed in that project right now. I've already got rather a lot on my plate. And that doesn't count the top-secret collaboration project.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Zero Revenge » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:58 am

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Yeah, the big change is in the scoring. But I really, really can't get absorbed in that project right now. I've already got rather a lot on my plate. And that doesn't count the top-secret collaboration project.

Why not let the fanbase give it a shot? Give us a task, we'll try and figure it out ourselves...

Tell us what you'd like to try... It isn't a whole new game, but a new set of Alternate rules... eh eh? :D
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am

By the game's license, that's always an option. You don't need to ask permission.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:59 pm

Darn tootin!
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby steffansa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Red_Robot wrote:I always thought this was a good idea.

APEx-10 by Red_Robot_XIII, on Flickr

...and if you will look at the fella on the left, he is armed with something I call "Arc Swords" which are fusion edges that have a high ion stream output. Designed very much to act like a taser. Game effect: Absolutely nothing, but I like the fluff.

If it inspires you, go nuts.

Your idea is very cool.. I like it very much.. It's so unique... make another one .... d6Rh
steffansa
Newcomer

Postby Sovietshadow » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 am

By laws of muscle systems, a tazer could work, but then again it really matters how a frame is wired.if it's like a human body, with a nervous system connecting all the cylinders, then it would work, but otherwise you'd just be shocking a single cylinder. That's also not including giving something with heavy power cords attached the strength and speed neccesary to break through a frame's heavy metal armor... then again, with a game like this, don't let something as boring as science stop you ;) :D
You laugh at fate, and fate will laugh right back at you.
Sovietshadow
Talkative

Postby gusindor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Sovietshadow wrote:By laws of muscle systems, a tazer could work, but then again it really matters how a frame is wired.if it's like a human body, with a nervous system connecting all the cylinders, then it would work, but otherwise you'd just be shocking a single cylinder.

That's a good point. I know some degree of interconnectedness would be necessary for the controls to work, but you could end up having to taze a frame one limb at a time.
That's also not including giving something with heavy power cords attached the strength and speed neccesary to break through a frame's heavy metal armor...

Combined with the above thing, this could be how tazer weapons act the same as normal weapons in the rules.
then again, with a game like this, don't let something as boring as science stop you ;) :D

Truth!
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Return to Mobile Frame Background