Colonization in the Solar Union

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Colonization in the Solar Union

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 pm

From the Solar Union forces: Rank and Military Organization thread:
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote: Oh, and remember: most of the colonial populations in SC 0245 are very small ... if they had the resources to support a large population, they're probably churning out materials or goods fast enough that they're gettin' paid by the TTA.

This is largely off-topic but what do you consider very small? A few thousand or hundred thousand? A few million? Less than a hundred million? I mean the US currently has a population of 317 million people making it the world's 3rd most populous country but if that same population was spread across the planet, Earth might be considered to have a very small population (when compared to the current world population of 7 billion people).

Any answers?
Last edited by spacemonkey on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Colonization in the Solar Union

Postby Soren » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I should give you a caveat; this is straight out of my butt with no intermediate discussion, some of it may be wrong, silly, or revised if we need it to change.

Colonies are launched as private ventures with, how should I put this... variable... degrees of preparation and planning. Some planners do a good job of providing for a minimum standard of living and others do a terrible job. A few hundred thousand people with prefab factories and some imported heavy equipment would be a middling-reasonable sort of colony. Ten thousand people living in shacks and buying imported goods from the company store (with company scrip, at a 40% markup; talk about captive markets) would be an awful sort of colony. Most fall somewhere in between.

Several colony worlds are up around the sixty- to hundred-million mark; about what you need to build and sustain an industrial economy capable of designing and building giant robots of your own. Most of that is natural increase since those colonies were settled; shipping people is expensive enough that it's easier to pursue natalist policies on the other end, although it still happens because even large colonies are hungry for labor. Some people have sufficiently valuable skillsets to get shipped from colony to colony on assignment, while others are simply there for warm-body jobs requiring the 'right' (Earth-centric) mindset.

There are a few colonial universities (like the Peloto Polytechnic College, where the Hi-Leg was developed), and many local branches of Earth, Martian, and Jovian universities on colony planets.

Past that on the scale, Shebehu, not a colony per se, has several billion Ijad and an unknown number of potential host bodies, human and otherwise.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby aimforthetop » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Thank you, Soren. That's a tremendously useful post for my setting development.
aimforthetop
Been Around The Block

Re: Solar Union forces: Rank and Military Organization

Postby Soren » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 pm

aimforthetop wrote:Thank you, Soren. That's a tremendously useful post for my setting development.

If you need more numbers and ideas, this page is a good place to get them: Atomic Rockets - Colonization.

This thread should probably be split at some point, actually. There's a lot we could flesh out from here.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby mraichelson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Sounds like a good candidate to get broken up onto the wiki. :)
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Everything Soren is saying matches my vision. Probably because we're both fans of Atomic Rockets.

Keep in mind: "Several hundred million" is a lot of people. But I'm picturing something like half the population of Europe, spread out over an entire planet. That means that, scattered throughout the volume of the Solar Unions are cities like Tangier, Boston, and Edinburgh; not Kinshasa, New York, Tokyo, or Mexico City.

Most of the time, though, the "cities" will be most like little Western towns, based around a mine, factory, spaceport, or other facility for producing or transporting capital.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby spacemonkey » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for the responses guys! As for aimforthetop said, this will be really useful for creating a planet/colony background. And thanks for that link, Soren!
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Solar Union forces: Rank and Military Organization

Postby Viper Tesla » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:07 am

Soren wrote:If you need more numbers and ideas, this page is a good place to get them: Atomic Rockets - Colonization.

I *love* this website. Thank you for sharing it - I'm sure you probably have shared it before... but this is the first time I's seeeeeens it!
Viper Tesla
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:39 pm

You'll also find an RPG of mine, Human Contact, on the list of Atomic Rockets Approved games! It's substantially different from Mobile Frame Zero in almost every aspect. And if you're into Atomic Rockets, you should definitely back his Patreon so he can continue his work!
Joshua A.C. Newman

Return to Mobile Frame Background