Ijad in human society

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Ijad in human society

Postby gusindor » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Could an Ijad, with a human or inhuman host, function as part of a Free Colony or even a Solar Union community? The tricky part, I think, would be how the Ijad could obey laws without breaking their commandment against rule from afar. The best I can imagine is a "friend of a friend" way of passing on laws, for example, if your neighbor expects you to follow the rules of the community, you're not obeying some distant ruler, you're obeying your friend.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Ijad in human society

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:20 am

They definitely can live within such societies, but you're right: they're a religious minority* , which means they can have a hard time.

The issues are a little different for each alien society they live in. In SU colonies, they might rationalize by taking instructions that come from directly up the hierarchy and ignoring conveniently their Union masters. Or they might live in a place where they're relatively isolated (and therefore know everyone relevant to the society), but nominally get TTA support.

Within the Free Colonies, things might be much simpler — remember, they were the inspiration for the Free Colony movement in the first place. On the other hand, here's no typical FC government; some of them are anarchist clades, some of them are frame gangs raiding shipments, some are family structures, and some are libertarian plutocracies. Their talk about federation is a long way from becoming real. Right now, individual colonies (or even individual revolutions within a colony) rely on each other for very practical reasons, but things are liable to change toward something else if they, you know. Win.

Until that happens, though, I imagine there are some Free Colonies that Ijad feel much more at home in. Depending on their own particular inclinations, some might feel at home in family- and clan-structured colonies, while others would feel most at home among anarchists or even gangs.

*If they're not, they're regular ol' Ijad. The breakpoint here is probably most interesting as defined by the player who designs the company
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Soren » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 am

Lurking in the background are also some hard questions about whether a society with such sharply proscribed loyalties is a good idea with industrial technology, too. Ijad fight a lot of intertribal wars, and have what are to us very old-fashioned bigotries (not race as such, because racial bigotry as we know it is a fairly recent invention and this is a species that can swap bodies, but generalized xenophobia, oh yeah). So a lot of those Ijad are also responding to discontents in their own societies but experimenting with other ways of doing things. Non-religious unifying ideologies in particular.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:21 pm

See: Armored-Of-God.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Return to Mobile Frame Background