Lexicon

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Lexicon

Postby gusindor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm collecting slang and other turns of phrase used in the Solar Calender. Whether it's a widely-used word or exclusive to your personal headcanon, I'd appreciate anything you have to add. I'll keep a running list;

Hutch: "hutch" verb (swear), to fail under pressure, to mess up.
"I don't want your hutching bootleg ammo in my frame."
Derived from the sound someone makes when they throw up in their helmet due to motion sickness.

Hutch Bunny: "hutch bun-nee" noun, an unskilled beginner.
"I don't care who you were planetside, you're just a hutch bunny until you can keep your head in zero G."
Rookie pilots, being unused to how a frame moves, are more likely to throw up in their helmets, i.e. hutch. The "bunny" part comes from how pet rabbits are kept in houses (also called hutches) to protect them from predators. Likewise, new pilots ideally don't go into battle until they have a few non-combat missions under their belt, because in a fight they'd be easy targets.

Boop: "boop" word (swear), the word you use when you can't think of anything better.
"The propaganda looks good, but it's all just a bunch of boop!"
Derived from the noise a computer makes when it wants attention.

Grasher "gra-shur" noun (swear), someone who doesn't know when to stop fighting.
"When the smoke clears, who's still crawling toward the cistern? That grasher."
Originally meant the runt of the litter, who had to fight for everything.

Chab "chab" verb, 1) to belay, harass, harry, or work to exhaustion.
"Ugh this job. Our overseer's been chabbing us this whole tenshift."
2) to be reckless, self-indulgent, or ignore the consequences.
"And what does Kanza do? She sits there and chabbing smiles."
Originally meant to overwork a stubminnow paddy, degrading it.

Horq "hork" verb (swear), to mess up so bad it would be better if you hadn't tried.
"The drinks are on fire, Yandel. You really horqed up this time."

Glomar "glow-mar" noun, 1) a lie mixed in with the truth.
"Don't listen, it's just another of his glomars."
2) Someone who lies a lot.
"Everyone knows used frame salesmen are all glomars."
Originated with a campfire game from the colony of Glomar where competitors tell a story that starts off true and then gets increasingly fantastic. At the end of the story, players bid on the point that they think the story turned to fabrication (once they've finished mocking any participant who didn't realize they were one — a fact exacerbated by the prohibition of announcing the beginning of play). The player who's closest to the correct point without claiming that a truth was false, wins. Players lose their money to the storyteller if they claim that a truth was a lie, but all players lose their money to the player who got closest. To properly tell a glomar, one must know sufficiently improbable but true stories that the line between fantasy and reality is hard to perceive.

Chron "chron" verb (severe swear), to take someone's frame away, banish them from the settlement, and never speak to them again, as punishment for a serious crime.
"Chron you! Get chroned you chroning chroner! I'll be chroned if I let a chroner like you chron up my peaches, chron it!"
Chron was the name of the person for whom this punishment was invented. (screen name of the first non-spammer to be banned from the Mobile Frame Hangar)

Glip "glip" noun, 1) someone with an oversized ego.
"Zooser's freaking out that I 'stole his kill.' What a glip.
2) verb to pay undue attention to a minor detail.
"Stop glipping, it's just a scratch."
Originally a combination of "glitch" and "blip," referring to when a sensor shows something that isn't there.

Skreeg "skreeg" verb, to take everything of worth from something.
"You paid how much for repairs!? Dude, you got skreeged."
Derived from the noise a ship makes being dragged over rocks after looters have taken every salvageable system.

Hurdy-gurdy "hur-dee gur-dee" noun, a machine, usually a frame, that is low-tech, cobbled together, and generally not very impressive.
"Does that hurdy-gurdy even count as a frame?"
Originally a hand-cranked musical instrument.

Shovel "shove-ell" verb, 1) to make the best of a bad situation, to win against difficult odds.
"C'mon, we've shoveled worse than this before!"
2) noun something that looks harmless/worthless, but is actually quite powerful.
"Don't let her age fool you, Rai's a real shovel."
Refers to a legendary battle in which a lone frame was able to hold out against an army, armed with only a shovel.

Enormous hurt "en-or-mus hurt" noun/verb, having had an advantage and lost anyway.
"I have never been so enormous hurt as when I got beaten by that dirt farmer."
"I do to you now the ENORMOUS HURT!" was the battlecry of the legendary Shoveler.

Dakka "da-ka" noun, the ability to reduce enemies to a smoldering wreck, especially by shooting a lot.
"The new and improved Diplomacy sidearm, now with 60% more dakka!"
Derived from the sound of rapid repeated gunfire.

Tactic "tak-tik" verb, to think quickly and strategically, usually in order to avoid something unpleasant.
"Don't worry, I've got it all tactic'd so we get our chocolate ration just as the peaches are ripening. You haven't lived 'til you've tasted Aliar's peach and chocolate pie.
Coined by some soldiers who were tired of their commander droning on and on about tactics this and tactical that.

Corright "kor-rite" adjective, the happy times when your conscience agrees with your common sense.
"Y'mean instead of fighting they just talked? Nobody shot anybody? That's corright, that's really corright."
A combination of "correct" and "right."

Slag "slag" noun, something useless, worthless and unwanted.
"Sure it looks pretty, but if I can't look at it funny without it falling apart it's just so much slag."
Slag is the rocky byproduct when ore is smelted into useable metal.

Voop "voop" verb, to send something through a transit gate.
"It took three months of chabbing the man, but he finally vooped me those crates of peaches he promised."
Derived from the sound of the alarms commonly used on transit gates to warn of a large incoming shipment. "VOOP! VOOP! VOOP!"

Glass "glass" verb, to destroy something with no regard for collateral damage or overkill.
"Glass them all! I don't care what it takes, we can't let those plans get offworld!"
A reference to the way orbital bombardment turns sand into glass.

Glom "glom" verb, 1) to grab onto something
"I couldn't run because my kid glommed onto my leg."
2) noun, a large, densely-packed group.
"I've got a whole glom of pomegranate seeds."
3) noun, things stuck together without much of a plan.
"Their 'secret prototype' turned out to be just a glom of random mechanical parts."
4) Glomming "glom-ing" adjective, to have an abundance of something, especially something attached to you.
"This frame is simply glomming with armor!"
A word from a pre-Solar-Calendar language whose original meaning is unknown.

Roof rat "roof rat" noun, someone who's passionate about frame racing.
"We're roof rats and proud of it!"
Riffraff "rif-raf" noun, someone you wish would stop using your building as a racecourse.
"Hutching riffraff, get off my roof!"
Both inspired by the acronym RFRA (Rooftop Frame Racing Association) an interplanetary organization that hosts all-terrain mobile frame races, with city rooftops as the most popular course. The RFRA was founded to prevent illegal frame racing by providing a legal alternative, with mixed success.
Last edited by gusindor on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Re: Lexicon

Postby Mantisking » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:32 pm

gusindor wrote:Chron "chron" verb (swear), I honestly have no idea what this means.
"Gosh chron it."
I think it was someone's name?

Yeah. It was the screen-name of our first non-spammer banning. Probably better if you don't use it.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Dukayn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Mantisking wrote:
gusindor wrote:Chron "chron" verb (swear), I honestly have no idea what this means.
"Gosh chron it."
I think it was someone's name?

Yeah. It was the screen-name of our first non-spammer banning. Probably better if you don't use it.

Naw, I like the idea of using Chron as an expletive. It just feels right ;)
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Apex » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Glomar "glow-mar" noun, 1) a lie mixed in with the truth.
"Don't listen, it's just another of his glomars."
2) Someone who lies a lot.
"Everyone knows used frame salesmen are all glomars."
Originated with a campfire game from the colony of Glomar where competitors tell a story that starts off true and then gets increasingly fantastic. At the end of the story, players bid on the point that they think the story turned to fabrication (once they've finished mocking any participant who didn't realize they were one — a fact exacerbated by the prohibition of announcing the beginning of play). The player who's closest to the correct point without claiming that a truth was false, wins. Players lose their money to the storyteller if they claim that a truth was a lie, but all players lose their money to the player who got closest. To properly tell a glomar, one must know sufficiently improbable but true stories that the line between fantasy and reality is hard to perceive.

Every time I see this, I can't help but think about the Glomar Explorer
Apex
Newcomer

Postby Thaddeus » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Ha ha, this is great! I'm glad you finally compiled and explained some of these terms. Other then hutch, I had no idea what these meant.
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xero010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 am

Hurdy-Gurdy. Not sure what this means, maybe an adjective meaning non-threatening or un-serious?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
HexTech Corp by Xero908, on Flickr
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am

Xero010 wrote:Hurdy-Gurdy. Not sure what this means, maybe an adjective meaning non-threatening or un-serious?

Since a real Hurdy Gurdy is a hand-cranked musical instrument, how about having the term refer to low-tech, cobbled together Frames? Example: "Look at that frame, it's such a hurdy gurdy."
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Xero010 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 am

Mantisking wrote:
Xero010 wrote:Hurdy-Gurdy. Not sure what this means, maybe an adjective meaning non-threatening or un-serious?

Since a real Hurdy Gurdy is a hand-cranked musical instrument, how about having the term refer to low-tech, cobbled together Frames? Example: "Look at that frame, it's such a hurdy gurdy."

So pretty much everything I put together with spare parts? That makes sense. Lol, didn't know it was a real thing.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm

Shovel, verb: Coming out on top while making the best of a bad situation; to improvise effectively."Ojeddet's company really shoveled when they refused to return fire against the Freeks, capturing the medical shuttle despite being hit from both sides."
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Soren » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Hutch Bunny, noun: a neophyte to the use and operation of mobile frames; someone who blows chunks easily, a prey animal that should be kept in a hutch for its own protection. See also, the archaic American 'newbie' or 'scrub'.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Foghammer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:08 pm

gusindor wrote:I'm collecting slang and other turns of phrase used in the Solar Calender. Whether it's a widely-used word or exclusive to your personal headcanon, I'd appreciate anything you have to add. I'll keep a running list;

Hutch: "hutch" verb (swear), to fail under pressure, to mess up.
"Don't hutch this op up, Bun-Bun!" (This is the word used as a verb.)
"I don't want your hutching bootleg ammo in my frame." (This is the word used as an adjective.)
Derived from the sound someone makes when they throw up in their helmet due to motion sickness.

Chab "chab" verb, 1) to belay, harass, harry, or work to exhaustion.
"Ugh this job. Our overseer's been chabbing us this whole tenshift."
2) to be reckless, self-indulgent, or ignore the consequences.
"And what does she do? She sits there and chabbing smiles." (This is being used as an adverb, I believe, as it modifies the verb "smiles.")
Originally meant to overwork a stubminnow paddy, degrading it.

Horq "hork" verb (swear), to mess up so bad it would be better if you hadn't tried.
"That was a horqing bad job."(Also an adjective, since 'horqing' modifies 'job'; I imagine this one is very similar in usage to 'hutch' when used as a verb.)

I love this thread. Lots of fun going on here. Hutch bunny is awesome; I escalated it in my added example above ("Bun-Bun" capitalized, implying it's a nickname).
Foghammer
Old Guard

Postby Soren » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Given where the orbital elevator on Earth is located, you could do worse than to borrow from the Coxford Singlish Dictionary.

My favorites for MFZ are tactical ("Another term from the Army, Singapore’s most prolific Singlish donor. It means to think quickly and strategically, usually in the context of avoiding notice or being stuck with an unpleasant task. Oddly enough, it’s also used as a verb.") and corright ("The proper and correct Singlish pronunciation of 'correct'; illustrates how Singlish can combine two related words, creating a new word with improved potency. Often used as a response when the truth is glaringly obvious.") Code-switching is basically a sport in this part of the world so there's a lot to choose from.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
Soren

Postby gusindor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Nice! I altered them a little to give them a bit more meaning distinct from the original words, hope that's alright. I can change them back if you think I've lost the point or whatever.
gusindor

Postby Soren » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm

No, that's just about right. One of the joys of code-switching is that you get to tweak meanings and intent as words and phrases jump from culture to culture.

Shovel-pack, (verb); to improvise forcefully and clumsily, often due to laziness. "Don't worry about your bag, just shovel-pack it between those two lockers and we'll deal you in."
Last edited by Soren on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soren

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:27 am

I'm particularly fond of the universal Transformers slang expletive.

Slag: I'd use it in the similar fashion to the TF metaverse

"Slag" is one of the most versatile words in the Cybertronian vernacular. It is most commonly used as an expletive, a use that originated during Beast Wars, and it has caught on in most subsequent series. Its use is wide and varied:

Exclamation: "Aw, slag!"
Noun: "You sickening piece of slag!"
Verb: "You got to be slagging me."
Adjective: "Slagging Computer!"

It is therefore possible to build an entire sentence of this word:

"Slaggit! The slaggin' slag-faced motha-slaggin' slagger slagged the slaggers." :lol:
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xero010 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 am

gatlinggouf927 wrote:. . .
It is therefore possible to build an entire sentence of this word:

"Slaggit! The slaggin' slag-faced motha-slaggin' slagger slagged the slaggers." :lol:

My Latin teacher always told me there was something wrong with English.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:04 am

"Slag" seems to be the equivalent to Battlestar Galactica's "frak"
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Deathzero » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Dukayn wrote:"Slag" seems to be the equivalent to Battlestar Galactica's "frak"

Or Farscape's "Frell"
Sieg Zeon.
Deathzero
Been Around The Block

Postby gusindor » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm not sure about "slag" because it's actually a swear in some parts of the world. That's why in the latest incarnation of Transformers, they swear "scrap" instead. But that has an issue of it's own, in that it sounds a lot like a certain actual swear. And keep in mind that these need to fit into the MF0 'verse. (Although fictional slang that got so popular that people started using it in 'real life' is possible.)
gusindor

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 pm

What I like about "Slag" is that it's the molten glass left over from welding. It's the mechanical, industrial version of "crap". That said, it's a real insult in England, so it's no good here.

"Shovel" should definitely be in, given the proud and illustrious history of the shovel as a weapon of terror in the game. I like it to mean, "To destructively force something to your liking, using the wrong tool."
Joshua A.C. Newman

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Background