Dirty Dozen style unit

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Which SU Military would be most likely to deploy a Dirty Dozen/Play Dirty unit (a bunch of criminals who chose to accept forced enlistment over long prison terms/execution)?

From my knowledge of the fluff, it seems like TEM or UMFL would be the most likely choice. TEM because them might get sent on "high risk" missions, possibly behind enemy lines. UMFL also seems plausible due to it's enlistment methods.

What do you guys think?
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
User avatar
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:02 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Xero010 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Probably the TEM's I think too, since it easy to maintain a public image when your hired guns are off somewhere far away doing your dirty work.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
User avatar
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Thaddeus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Very true. Also, the UMFL because recruiters would probably be happy to accept questionable enlistments.
User avatar
Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby XGundam05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Thaddeus wrote:Very true. Also, the UMFL because recruiters would probably be happy to accept questionable enlistments.

Although, I think that could go either way. On the one hand, you want folks don't feel a strong allegiance to the colony...as they may wind up fighting them. But on the other, you don't want any sort of incident that could disrupt the production and flow of resources (settling old grudges, a couple "his face tried to beat up my fist" type scenarios, etc.).
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
User avatar
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:41 pm

XGundam05 wrote:
Thaddeus wrote:Very true. Also, the UMFL because recruiters would probably be happy to accept questionable enlistments.

Although, I think that could go either way. On the one hand, you want folks don't feel a strong allegiance to the colony...as they may wind up fighting them. But on the other, you don't want any sort of incident that could disrupt the production and flow of resources (settling old grudges, a couple "his face tried to beat up my fist" type scenarios, etc.).

In line with that, since the UMFL primarily holds territory (as opposed to the TEM taking territory), would they want to leave a bunch of (presumably) violent cons in an area very long? I can see it both ways, (a) they don't really care about the colony as long as the goods keeps flowing, (b) they consider it too high a risk, and have them constants moving from conflict to conflict. In which case they would fit better in TEM.

Either way I see them as being outsiders compared to the rest of the organization: avoided by other soldiers, given worn or lower quality out gear (when they even bother to resupply them).

I can also see them being given a mandate allowing them to loot any weapons/frames/supplies they find behind enemy lines to resupply themselves.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
User avatar
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:02 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby XGundam05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Grass4hopper wrote:...
(b) they consider it too high a risk, and have them constants moving from conflict to conflict. In which case they would fit better in TEM.

Either way I see them as being outsiders compared to the rest of the organization: avoided by other soldiers, given worn or lower quality out gear (when they even bother to resupply them).

I can also see them being given a mandate allowing them to loot any weapons/frames/supplies they find behind enemy lines to resupply themselves.


Yeah, overall I think they'd fit in better with the TEM (from an SU standpoint). But I could really see them as a Free Colonies unit, because those are the folks who are gonna wind up more desperate for immediate help.

I'd also say that you probably wouldn't see a unit like this in the SU until things escalate into a real war.
Soren wrote:Well, in a total war, if they're giving you everything they've got, everything they've got is fair game. It's unlikely to happen in this particular setting any time soon, because they did after all just recently fight a total war on Mars - there's a boom-and-bust cycle to these things, tied to when the last few veterans of the most recent total war die. But in the future? It could get very ugly indeed.


BTW, Dirty Dozen is one of my favorite films >.>
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
User avatar
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Xero010 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Seconded, I also liked the dirty dozen :D
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
User avatar
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:06 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

I just thought of a possible situation where they would fit in with UMFL better: UMFL sends commanders to a colony to form a new company. The colony already has ill will towards the SU, and now one is willing to sign up. In desperation the UMFL commanders offers pardons to local non-violent criminals: frame thieves, smugglers, etc.

Perhaps a slight stretch, but still plausible.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
User avatar
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:02 pm
Location: East Texas

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Soren and I made the UMFL so that we'd invariably have Dirty Dozens, Force Tens, Seven Samurai, Wild Bunches, and A-Teams. The Northern Republic of Mars has a quota to fill, sending a specified number of individuals to be officers in the UMFL every year.

TEMs typically come from the Solar Union itself. They're volunteers (like the TTMs) who are the sharp end of the spear wielded by the democratic forces of the SU.

TTMs are hired and recruited by the TTA, though they're almost always shipped in. It seems likely some number of them are from families that live in the transit gate, though.
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby gusindor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

What does TEM stand for?
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
User avatar
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Mantisking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

gusindor wrote:What does TEM stand for?

Terran Expiditionary Marines, if I remember correctly.
User avatar
Mantisking
Mod Team
 
Posts: 5643
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Framingham, MA, U.S.A.

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby XGundam05 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Soren and I made the UMFL so that we'd invariably have Dirty Dozens, Force Tens, Seven Samurai, Wild Bunches, and A-Teams. The Northern Republic of Mars has a quota to fill, sending a specified number of individuals to be officers in the UMFL every year.

TEMs typically come from the Solar Union itself. They're volunteers (like the TTMs) who are the sharp end of the spear wielded by the democratic forces of the SU.

TTMs are hired and recruited by the TTA, though they're almost always shipped in. It seems likely some number of them are from families that live in the transit gate, though.

I guess I could see it more working if the quota could be filled by locals. I think the biggest thing tho is that a unit of known criminals probably isn't going to happen except in one form of desperation or another. The idea of it working like the French Foreign Legion is something else entirely.*

*note, I own what I have said, but am operating at 35 hours awake, if I don't make much sense, or realize I was foolish later, I apologize in advance
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
User avatar
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I can see a UMFL captain in a desperate situation that calls for desperate means. A desperate situation that requires someone who knows the underworld, someone who can talk their way in the door, someone who knows explosives, and the best chabbing frame mechanic this system's ever seen. You might even go so far as to find yourself a man with a shady past.
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 pm

gusindor wrote:What does TEM stand for?


You'd know if you dad and I could just hutching get a lunch together so I could give you guys some books!
User avatar
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 1574
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Soren » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am

XGundam05 wrote:I guess I could see it more working if the quota could be filled by locals. I think the biggest thing tho is that a unit of known criminals probably isn't going to happen except in one form of desperation or another. The idea of it working like the French Foreign Legion is something else entirely.


Légion Étrangére is the model, so, yes. The problem isn't finding those guys (and gals), it's getting them to admit it to an officer. Just means you need a good officer, or one hell of a motive.

"Just curious - you fight for North, or South?"
"My war's over, sir. Like to keep it that way. But this one's still a going concern."
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
User avatar
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:22 am
Location: Low Earth Orbit

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby ArkamaZanku » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 am

Heh heh heh. My Garfish Unit is something of a Dirty Dozen style team. But then, they are kind of payed to be a bunch of jerks.

They were sent out to assist in the Tahzelli-4 conflicts. Though they are fairly well armed for borderline pirates. Speaking of pirates, their frames are well adapted for amphibious combat.
Dr. Coconut
ArkamaZanku
Chatty
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:40 am
Location: Houston Texas


Return to Mobile Frame Background

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest