[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Dirty Dozen style unit

Dirty Dozen style unit

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Which SU Military would be most likely to deploy a Dirty Dozen/Play Dirty unit (a bunch of criminals who chose to accept forced enlistment over long prison terms/execution)?

From my knowledge of the fluff, it seems like TEM or UMFL would be the most likely choice. TEM because them might get sent on "high risk" missions, possibly behind enemy lines. UMFL also seems plausible due to it's enlistment methods.

What do you guys think?
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Dirty Dozen style unit

Postby Xero010 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:00 pm

Probably the TEM's I think too, since it easy to maintain a public image when your hired guns are off somewhere far away doing your dirty work.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thaddeus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Very true. Also, the UMFL because recruiters would probably be happy to accept questionable enlistments.

Thaddeus
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:28 pm

- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby XGundam05 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:03 pm

- "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Xero010 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Seconded, I also liked the dirty dozen :D
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Grass4hopper » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

I just thought of a possible situation where they would fit in with UMFL better: UMFL sends commanders to a colony to form a new company. The colony already has ill will towards the SU, and now one is willing to sign up. In desperation the UMFL commanders offers pardons to local non-violent criminals: frame thieves, smugglers, etc.

Perhaps a slight stretch, but still plausible.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Soren and I made the UMFL so that we'd invariably have Dirty Dozens, Force Tens, Seven Samurai, Wild Bunches, and A-Teams. The Northern Republic of Mars has a quota to fill, sending a specified number of individuals to be officers in the UMFL every year.

TEMs typically come from the Solar Union itself. They're volunteers (like the TTMs) who are the sharp end of the spear wielded by the democratic forces of the SU.

TTMs are hired and recruited by the TTA, though they're almost always shipped in. It seems likely some number of them are from families that live in the transit gate, though.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby gusindor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

What does TEM stand for?
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Postby Mantisking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:47 pm

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby XGundam05 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:59 pm

XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I can see a UMFL captain in a desperate situation that calls for desperate means. A desperate situation that requires someone who knows the underworld, someone who can talk their way in the door, someone who knows explosives, and the best chabbing frame mechanic this system's ever seen. You might even go so far as to find yourself a man with a shady past.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Soren » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:49 am

I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby ArkamaZanku » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 am

Heh heh heh. My Garfish Unit is something of a Dirty Dozen style team. But then, they are kind of payed to be a bunch of jerks.

They were sent out to assist in the Tahzelli-4 conflicts. Though they are fairly well armed for borderline pirates. Speaking of pirates, their frames are well adapted for amphibious combat.
Dr. Coconut
ArkamaZanku
Chatty

Return to Mobile Frame Background