Two questions

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Two questions

Postby peglegpete » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 am

so, if 4-7 frames make up a company, how many companies are in an average system? Are frames so powerful that only a handful can defend/attack all on their own, or does it take hundreds to establish a beachhead and launch an assault?

also, how different does a frame have to vary from the standard to get its on designation? Is an ST- 07 Chub always a Chub, or does it get a new designation after a certain amount of modification?
peglegpete
Chatty

Re: Two questions

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

Honestly just fluff it your way, my Paladin line is based off the Super Chub/Chub frame, but looks nothing like a chub besides the base anatomy, in our back story my corporation bought chubs for their PMC, after several assignments the mercs kept requesting changes until Valhallan industries just announced a new frame line and started producing for themselves and commercial sale. For me using the skeleton of a frame is like using a V8 engine, the same engine can be applied to many different cars.
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby peglegpete » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 am

well, i mean for practical "this is design X" naming as well as in-game naming. I've seen a lot of posts that talk about using Soren's basic designs, for instance, and they seem to always use Soren's numbering system.

i just don't want to step on any toes by saying "Hey guys! Look at this awesome thing i did!" when the design is still very much someone else's and i just changed a few aesthetic elements. I'm not sure if that makes any sense...it's early and i'm tired.
peglegpete
Chatty

Postby Soren » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 am

My policy on stuff for the game is that it's there for you guys to build from. The only time I even care about being mentioned is when money changes hands, and then only so I can say 'yeah, go ahead and sell some robots'.

Background details are there for similar reasons. Build on them, don't treat them as a constraint.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Soren knows what.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Return to Mobile Frame Background