Hacking?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Re: Hacking?

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Yeah, the A-10 is one of my favorite pieces of military hardware because of its extraordinary inelegance.

"OK, we have a giant gun. And, uh, a pilot. And an armored tub to put them in. And wings. Put some engines on there. OK! We're good!"

I also love the OV-10 Bronco for the same reasons:
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Yeah, the A-10 is one of my favorite pieces of military hardware because of its extraordinary inelegance.

"OK, we have a giant gun. And, uh, a pilot. And an armored tub to put them in. And wings. Put some engines on there. OK! We're good!"

Aw man its the tank buster... I LOVE THAT PLANE...

-immediately starts drafting anti frame aircraft-
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zero Revenge » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

gatlinggouf927 wrote:Aw man its the tank buster... I LOVE THAT PLANE...

-immediately starts drafting anti frame aircraft-

How effective was the Saberfish or Tin Cod against the Zaku II?

Oh wait, that's right. NOT EFFECTIVE AT ALL.

Got it.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby XGundam05 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:47 am

On the hacking subject...(not that the A-10 isn't one of my all-time favorite aircraft)

Sniper rounds impregnated with nano machines explicitly designed to FUBAR sensor equiment >.> Purely for fluff mind you, but interesting fluff it could be.
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 am

I suggest that this is a road you do not want to travel down. If you have nanocomputation and molecular machinery, the rest of the setting will fall apart like you'd added laser unicorns.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby XGundam05 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:41 am

Ah, I did not realize there was no nano-machinery. Welp, there went that >.>
XG5 Systems Blog - "I will not die here / I still have too much to do / And too much ammo" ~ Zer0
XGundam05
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 am

XGundam05 wrote:Ah, I did not realize there was no nano-machinery. Welp, there went that >.>

Yeah, that's a really cool concept (like, really cool) but I always figured nano machinery would over complicate things to untold levels.

Technologically we're just scraping beam weaponry on Arcadia, mostly in the melee category (and even then on a more practical level like the anti ship swords from Gundam SEED: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/ ... etik66.jpg). If there are any ranged applications it's only on some rare first of their kind prototype.

We do however, ABUSE rail/coil gun tech, and by we... I mean mostly me lol
I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

-Richie Branson-
gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby gusindor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:33 pm

XGundam05 wrote:

I have an irrational love of railguns. I dunno why... maybe it's 'cause RAILGUNS! It's like a magnetized tuning fork that shatters the sound barrier with any ol' tin can you stuff down the barrel!

I know that's not actually how they work, but c'mon, RAILGUNS! If only I could put one on an A-10...
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Postby Xero010 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 pm

gatlinggouf927 wrote:
XGundam05 wrote:Ah, I did not realize there was no nano-machinery. Welp, there went that >.>

Yeah, that's a really cool concept (like, really cool) but I always figured nano machinery would over complicate things to untold levels.

Technologically we're just scraping beam weaponry on Arcadia, mostly in the melee category (and even then on a more practical level like the anti ship swords from Gundam SEED: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/ ... etik66.jpg). If there are any ranged applications it's only on some rare first of their kind prototype.

I' came up with the idea of a nano fibrous material that REPAIRS itself using surrounding materials whenever its dealt a serious impact or scratch. Anyone see the Gundam 00 Movie? Something like that. It doesn't work in Zero-G environments.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby jadefalcon777 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm

There's some non-nanomachine solutions for self-repairing armor, mostly involving polymers and other nifty shear-thickening fluids. This article is a bit old, but it might give you some ideas.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/ ... icles.aspx
jadefalcon777
Newcomer

Postby Foxfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Xero010 wrote:
gatlinggouf927 wrote:

I' came up with the idea of a nano fibrous material that REPAIRS itself using surrounding materials whenever its dealt a serious impact or scratch. Anyone see the Gundam 00 Movie? Something like that. It doesn't work in Zero-G environments.

You mean near vacuum environments right? I can see how zero-G specifically would prevent that technology from working.
Brute force and ignorance can solve any problem. The application of brute force and ignorance may create other new problems, but those problem can also be solved with brute force and ignorance. -An old roomate
Foxfire
Chatty

Postby Xero010 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Yeah, the point of the armour is to use surrounding particles, and in a vacuum none are immediately available. The guys in the R&D department are having a fit over this >.>. . .
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Previous

Return to Mobile Frame Background