Help: Energy Sources?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Postby morganm » Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 pm

I'm trying to finish up some background for a planet and the premise is that it's rich with biota and energy but the planet is lacking in basic raw materials used in making metal alloys and exotic composites. This means they have plenty of goods to export and are still trading well but replacement parts, construction materials, and new machinery must be shipped in.

Got any cool sci-fi energy sources ? Also what exotic raw materials would be found on other planets that would be refined and used to produce this energy?

The only thing I could think of was Energon =)
morganm
Been Around The Block

Re: Help: Energy Sources?

Postby afny » Fri May 18, 2012 12:01 am

Well, you could always import a little energon...

..and a lot of luck.

I can't help you; I'm just here to glean from legitimate answers you might get.
afny
Been Around The Block

Postby randolph » Fri May 18, 2012 12:53 am

Uranium? For fusion reactors, lithium, boron, and potentially hydrogen isotopes.

If you want to give an Iron Man movie shoutout, palladium is used in the Arc Reactor.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 am

If all else fails, sun-fusion. Hydrogen to Helium will be your friend there. And you can then use the Helium in other applications, too. Or Hydrogen powercells, which have water as a waste product. Uranium works, too, because depleted uranium serves well as heavy metal for military applications in ammunition. Or you just make up your own localized energy source. For example, on Vesopia, I came up with IGM (Inverted Gravity Metal), which is basically just really strong magnets naturally aligned against the planets magnetic field, resulting in floating rocks. Makes for easier transportation and travels of large masses, so it's indirectly positive for the energy balance. :D
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby CrimsonKMR » Fri May 18, 2012 7:03 am

Helium-3 seems to be a common one as well...

Could always use unobtanium or mcguffinite ;)
CrimsonKMR
Talkative

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 am

how bout MOMENTIUM... or BIO-NUCLEAR FUSION...or SOFT CHROMIRON...
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Dukayn » Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 am

In my re-watch of Captain America today I heard them refer to "vibranium" which is a completely vibration-resistant element which they use to make Cap's shield out of.

That'd make for some hardy-ass frames.

And yeah OK it's not a power source, but still.
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Soren » Fri May 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Aneutronic fusion (boron-11, by preference) is good, and certainly clean. Electrodynamic tethers dipped into a gas giant's magnetic field are a personal favorite.

Earth is unusually rich in heavy elements by our current models of planetary formation. So your average colony is going to have less radioactive material, etc. unless you posit exceptional circumstances. If you've ever read The Man Who Counts, you might also want to think about a large, heavy habitable planet, with peculiar atmospheric and gravitational properties (air that can give you oxygen burns on your lungs, diving rapture at sea level, measurably different gravities at the equator and pole - lots of fun stuff.) Such a planet could plausibly have more metals and radioactive ores than Earth, even if it's brutally difficult to get at them.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Forged » Fri May 18, 2012 12:22 pm

You can also have unique forms of manufacturing, perhaps Q-plasma capacitors are something everyone can make and recharge, but your suns background radiation is even lower than the norm, allowing quick and efficient charging of the capacitors.
Forged
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Fri May 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Jupiter dips hydrogen out of the atmosphere for fuel while generating electricity by dragging tethers through the extraordinary magnetic fields of the planet. It has made them rich.

I have to write a thing about antigravity. It exists in a handwavey form but with hard limits.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri May 18, 2012 3:56 pm

What are the general mobile frame power sources? Microfusion plants? Fuel cells? Ridiculously efficient batteries?
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby morganm » Fri May 18, 2012 4:11 pm

A YATES INDUSTRIALS wrote:how bout MOMENTIUM... or BIO-NUCLEAR FUSION...or SOFT CHROMIRON...

I'm going to use Momentium; thanks!
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Wadmaasi wrote:What are the general mobile frame power sources? Microfusion plants? Fuel cells? Ridiculously efficient batteries?

My 'frames simply run on microscale fusion reactors. They detoriate over time and the burnt material needs constant replacement. But it's safe and clean - and can be set to overload when needed. :D
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Fri May 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Wadmaasi wrote:What are the general mobile frame power sources? Microfusion plants? Fuel cells? Ridiculously efficient batteries?

WangTech's middle-tier models and up either come standard with Eco-LOGIC™ drives, or it's an option.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby A YATES INDUSTRIALS » Fri May 18, 2012 5:28 pm

My frames are powered by a KINETIC INERTIA DRIVE SYSTEM. It requires a small amount of energy to start the drive system, but after that it runs continuously for the rest of the frames life. The KINETIC INERTIA is produced within a mercury filled gear cylinder that when pressurized converts the mercury into plasma,This reaction generates tremendous amounts of energy that is used to power the frame. When the frame is at rest the drive system switches to hybernation mode to conserve energy.
Last edited by A YATES INDUSTRIALS on Wed May 23, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o)-<|:
A YATES INDUSTRIALS
Grizzled Veteran

Postby randolph » Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 pm

A YATES INDUSTRIALS wrote:My frames are powered by a KINETIC INERTIA DRIVE SYSTEM. It requires a small amount of energy to start the drive system, but after that it runs continuously for the rest of the frames life. When the frame is at rest the drive system switches to hybernation mode to conserve energy.

Kind of a sci-fi version of the KERS?
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby addking » Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Naw, it's powered by children - KIDS are an unlimited source of energy, ask first time parents.
addking
Talkative

Postby randolph » Sat May 19, 2012 4:28 pm

addking wrote:Naw, it's powered by children - KIDS are an unlimited source of energy, ask first time parents.

In my experience, as much fun as KIDS may be, the system results in a continuous energy debt.
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 pm

Muscle cylinders are powered electrically. How you generate the electricity is a matter of local facilities and custom, of course.

KIDS is either perpetual motion or a genre-destroyingly efficient battery. I raise my eyebrow. If you can store that much energy at once, then most of the rest of the setting doesn't make sense. Destroying such a power source would release the energy all at once — that's potentially decades of heavy labor, or the equivalent of, oh, let's say kilotons of TNT. That is, city-destroying energy. Storing and focusing it would make for a completely different kind of sf.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue May 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Kinetic batteries, btw, have exactly this explosive release problem. Not that I have a problem with frames that use kinetic batteries or that explode. They're just not perpetual motion machines as long as they take place within the Solar Calendar.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Background