What do the Ijad look like?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Re: What do the Ijad look like?

Postby afny » Wed May 16, 2012 5:52 pm

CaGeRit wrote:
I can hope can't I? I like less pointy backgrounds when dealing with games. It gets rather dull when its all "ARRGH I WILL KILL YOU EVERY CHANCE I GET!!" and "WELL I WOULD KILL ALL OF YOU AND NEVER CONSIDER TALKING TO YOU UNLESS WHILE ITS ALSO WHILE KILLING YOU". Thats why I love Heavy Gear, the sure the north and south go at it and are at war with each other, but there is still communication, trade even. Hell, they will even ally against a greater foe if need be.

I think you misunderstood what I said--I totally think the setting you described would fit. I just meant that, given the current state of galactic politics, that kind of integrated community wouldn't be widespread. I think the official lore isn't as "pointy" as it first appears. Sure, there's some ethnocentrism on all sides, but already we've seen examples of both politics, personalities and localities blurring the usual black and white morality play. Obviously we haven't seen the book yet, but the setting seems like LEGO itself: constraining by nature, but modular enough to allow unlimited expression.
afny
Been Around The Block

Postby CaGeRit » Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Heh you're right, I reread your post, didn't mean to come off hostile.
I hope the Ijad section in the book is long, this is a very interesting concept, at least to me. Brain parasites that aren't evil/all-controlling.
CaGeRit
Newcomer

Postby afny » Wed May 16, 2012 6:54 pm

CaGeRit wrote:Heh you're right, I reread your post, didn't mean to come off hostile.
I hope the Ijad section in the book is long, this is a very interesting concept, at least to me. Brain parasites that aren't evil/all-controlling.

They've got a lot of similarities to the Trill from Star-Trek, with a few key differences. They can bond with anything with a central nervous system (instead of an exclusive sapient humanoid race), so sapient symbiosis is a new thing to them. Also, their setting is much less "advanced" than Trek, and they are they only known alien race, so it's much easier for these questions to take center-stage. Also, the religion, obviously.
afny
Been Around The Block

Postby ChaosChild » Wed May 16, 2012 8:11 pm

There's stuff in the background (the original fluff in update #8 on Kickstarter) about non-bonded humans living in Ijad communities, and being considered "people" by the Ijad so long as they live according to God's will. So integration definitely happens from the other direction and I'm sure there are human communities where Ijad are tolerated, accepted or even welcome.
ChaosChild
Talkative

Postby Soren » Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 pm

You remember that really obsequiously religious kid? We all knew one. The one who choose to use his beliefs as evidence that he was just so much better and more special than you, and determined to let everybody know it? Holy balls did I ever hate that kid growing up. You probably did too.

Some Ijad can get like that to people who don't have symbiotes. It produces... friction, sometimes. But then you have the sort of lapsed-Catholic or Amish types who are just swimmingly easy to get along with. So it varies from place to place, and tribe to tribe. But there's an undercurrent in Ijad society from back when they only rode subsapient animals that if you don't have tentacles hanging off the back of your neck, you're... well, a dumb animal. Armored-Of-God are notoriously bad about that.

Some colonies have less-than-stellar policies in hiring, and some UMFL regiments (like the Crimson Phalanx) don't accept Ijad recruits, but there are some hard limits in the Union charter on your ability to be a dick to someone based on religious or ethnic background, and messing with them (which was debated pretty hotly after contact) would destabilize Earth and the colonies. Free Colonial cells are usually egalitarian out of desperation for resources, even when there's a nasty ethnic component to their motivation - not that it doesn't lead to some Tet Offensive machinations where Ijad allies get left swinging in the breeze.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Dukayn » Thu May 17, 2012 12:05 am

Soren wrote:You remember that really obsequiously religious kid? We all knew one. The one who choose to use his beliefs as evidence that he was just so much better and more special than you, and determined to let everybody know it?

Aren't most of them running for President now?
Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 am

AW SNAP

Well, really, those guys discovered Jesus later in life. Like when Jerry Falwell offered them a check to run on the millionaire theocrat ticket.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 17, 2012 11:29 am

It occurs to me that we should probably keep this conversation allegorical so we can all stay friends.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Axhead » Sat May 19, 2012 8:46 pm

So what color are they? Er.. I mean Ijad, not Republicans... (Everyone knows Republicans are a shade of wrinkly white)
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby warhammer651 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Im rather wondering what they sound like. Both within and outside of one's mind. do Ijad have accents to their voice/thoughts when talking to their hosts, or is it accent neutral?
warhammer651
Young Gun

Postby Soren » Mon May 21, 2012 1:39 pm

I envision the symbiotes as being a lot like tree frogs, so, ridiculously bright colors.

They don't speak with accents, although they do tend to avoid contractions for some odd reason.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue May 22, 2012 12:29 am

Soren wrote:I envision the symbiotes as being a lot like tree frogs, so, ridiculously bright colors.

They don't speak with accents, although they do tend to avoid contractions for some odd reason.

If... Tree Frogs = Ijad
and... Tree Frogs = Drug Trip when licked.
then that means that... Being synced with an Ijad = Like being on constant Acid.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby warhammer651 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:04 am

Zero Revenge wrote:
Soren wrote:I envision the symbiotes as being a lot like tree frogs, so, ridiculously bright colors.

If... Tree Frogs = Ijad
then that means that... Being synced with an Ijad = Like being on constant Acid.

And Now I'm imagining a mafia-esque syndicate that sells Ijad as drugs. or possibly harvests hallucinogens from them.
warhammer651
Young Gun

Postby afny » Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 am

warhammer651 wrote:
Zero Revenge wrote:

If... Tree Frogs = Ijad

And Now I'm imagining a mafia-esque syndicate that sells Ijad as drugs. or possibly harvests hallucinogens from them.

What your talking about sounds much closer to prostitution. I don't think Soren meant that the Ijad are innately hallucinogenic, but it's my understanding that they can do crazy stuff to your brain when attached to it, like flooding it with dopamine constantly. Obviously stuff like this would be "immoral", but if both parties are WILLING there's bound to be some gray area. The interesting thing is that the Ijad might themselves be the instigators of this trade, making them something of a drug dealer/prostitute hybrid. There would surely be complications as I doubt many of these couplings would result in true symbiosis, seeing as they are founded on lust for a high and greed, respectively.
afny
Been Around The Block

Postby Zero Revenge » Tue May 22, 2012 11:44 am

afny wrote:I don't think Soren meant that the Ijad are innately hallucinogenic...

...No kidding. I was making a joke through inference. :\
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby afny » Tue May 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Zero Revenge wrote:
afny wrote:I don't think Soren meant that the Ijad are innately hallucinogenic...

...No kidding. I was making a joke through inference. :\

Well, harboring a second individual within your consciousness DOES sort of have some overlap with the effects of LSD. A certain amount of "ego death" would just HAPPEN, and you'd sort of have to rebuild your perspective of yourself after bonding, and again if you were to separate. The whole process of mental symbiosis could EASILY be described as psychedelic.
afny
Been Around The Block

Postby randolph » Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm

afny wrote:Well, harboring a second individual within your consciousness DOES sort of have some overlap with the effects of LSD. A certain amount of "ego death" would just HAPPEN, and you'd sort of have to rebuild your perspective of yourself after bonding, and again if you were to separate. The whole process of mental symbiosis could EASILY be described as psychedelic.

From the 0245 NYT Best Seller list:
Our Symbiotes, Ourselves
Men Are From Mars, Ijad Are From Celiel
A Scrambler Darkly
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue May 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Good god, Randy. A Scanner Darkly, really? Damn. RDJ is such a hilarious actor. Makes me think of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby randolph » Tue May 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:Good god, Randy. A Scanner Darkly, really? Damn. RDJ is such a hilarious actor. Makes me think of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again.

Can't help it, I'm a Philip K. Dick fan :D (Besides, we were on an altered-state-of-consciousness tangent, PKD and Hunter S. Thompson are the obvious references.)
WangTech, Inc.
Inexorable. Progress.
Company Overview
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Axhead » Tue May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Awesomeness.

Only a few treefrogs provide psychodelic effects, many of the others emit severe neuro-toxins. Since they are described as being soft, highly visible and vulnerable on their own this kind of defensive mechanism would make sense. That being said, the ability to control the neural activity of another being is also a pretty severe form of neuro-chemical defense.
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Background