[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - What do the Ijad look like?

What do the Ijad look like?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

Re: What do the Ijad look like?

Postby Soren » Thu May 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Ijad don't have a lot of experience with riding around on sapient hosts. So they've been scrambling to develop some kind of ethical framework for how you ride a human being without, um, brain-raping them. Right now they sort of agree that there are a bunch of things they can biologically do (like flooding your brain with hormones and other neurochemicals to alter your mood) that are super gross and ethically wrong to do to a sapient brain without consent. They've got a shocking level of inter-tribal consensus about it - even extremist groups like the Armored-of-God are kind of squicked by the idea of turning someone into a meat-puppet. Not that religious and political leaders on Earth haven't tried to play up the possibility, but it hasn't gotten much traction outside of cranks.

When Ijad ride a body, they rely on your own reflexes and sense-of-body to move stuff around. They can store learned skills, like surgery, and exercise them with a host's consent, but they can't make your body move against your will. Cheap holovid thrillers to the contrary.

Individual Ijad are, well, individuals, with dreams and ambitions et cetera. No hive mind. There are some bonded Ijad-humans in Free Colonial and even UMFL service, by ethical conviction. The converse, actually, is where most of the bigotry is - Ijad-humans who identify culturally and politically as 'Ijad' are suspicious and sort of prejudiced against un-bonded humans. That's one of the reasons some Ijad leave or align with other factions.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
See more stuff I've made: |
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby randolph » Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Inexorable. Progress.
randolph
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Thu May 10, 2012 3:48 pm

I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the .
Soren

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu May 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Not to ignore all the delicious fluff about the Ijad [since, this is all really good to know actually!] But...

Fourth World War? O___o" Could we have details? [The Martian War?]

Edit: I assume then, if linked... the Ijad "parasite" dies with its host? Or can it detach itself? Assuming it's death?
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby morganm » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

Great stuff; very heavy man... still processing some of this.

Anyway... I had questions: What happens to the host when an Ijad detaches? Do they heal and are other wise back to normal? Does it cause the host to die? If they live I would imagine there would be significant psychological effects. Perhaps feeling abandoned or feelings similar to loosing someone close to you since it's been described as a pretty close, and mutual, relationship. Chemical imbalances causing all kinds of psychological or even physical changes since it's been described that the Ijad use chemicals and hormones on the host.

What if an Ijad gets sniped or assassinated but the host is otherwise unharmed? Does the host live on after the Ijad corpse is removed? Does the host die as well when the Ijad dies?

Otherway around... what if the host dies? Does the Ijad detach and move on or are they killed as well?

How about if a host goes into a comma or is otherwise mentally incapacitated? Can the Ijad just take complete control and use the host as needed with no more ethical boundaries? Or since the host lacks any capacity to control itself the Ijad can't really control the body either?

Thanks!
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am

-- A MFZ blog.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Forged » Fri May 11, 2012 10:53 am

Now I want to see a Ijad/human rap battle face off. 1 body two styles!
Forged
Talkative

Postby addking » Fri May 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Nice, now that I settled on my Ijad faction name (Fire of the Mind), I have been waiting for more fluff, so that I can decide exactly what drives them.
addking
Talkative

Postby Wadmaasi » Fri May 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Soren

Postby Wadmaasi » Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 am

Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Dukayn » Sat May 12, 2012 2:45 am

Dukayn
Mod Team

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:03 am

I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Sat May 12, 2012 9:40 pm

What do they want from each other? Who else is involved?
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby gatlinggouf927 » Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 am

I came from the bottom, now I made it to the top. Newtype flow I'm the hottest on the block. Somebody tell these haters that I'm never gonna stop. Till I kill em all like a colony drop. I'm yellin out Sieg Zeon, Sieg Zeon

gatlinggouf927
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CaGeRit » Wed May 16, 2012 9:16 am

So how are Ijad hosts considered by non-ijad hosts? You have stated that there is a great deal of prejudice against them, are there places or colonies in which Ijad hosts and non-Ijad hosts live semi-peacfully?
The idea of the cohabitation of the Ijad, Humans and Ijad/Human hosts actually opens up a lot of very interesting scifi type pathways. I could see an entire story based around such a colony and a division of its police force dedicated to interspecies crimes, crazed mindjacking Ijad terrorists, racial humanist extremists, and of course the day to day discontents and malcontents set to the backdrop of two species trying to co-habitate and go about their lives under the looming oppression of the solar union.
CaGeRit
Newcomer

Postby afny » Wed May 16, 2012 4:23 pm

afny
Been Around The Block

Postby warhammer651 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm rather wondering how common it is for a bonded human to become romantically involved with an unbonded human.

Seems like another voice in your head giving advice and commentary would put a bit of a damper on things.
warhammer651
Young Gun

Postby afny » Wed May 16, 2012 5:40 pm

afny
Been Around The Block

Postby CaGeRit » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

CaGeRit
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Background