What do the Ijad look like?

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

What do the Ijad look like?

Postby Forged » Wed May 09, 2012 12:51 pm

We know they are symbionts, but what do they look like? Do they attach onto their host or go inside?
Forged
Talkative

Re: What do the Ijad look like?

Postby Ced23Ric » Wed May 09, 2012 1:07 pm

I really hope they go inside, through the nose, latching on to the cortex. Yummy!
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Axhead » Wed May 09, 2012 2:54 pm

I think Ijad are shaped like burritos, so people eat them and then get taken over. Because random life forms on random planets will have an instinctive need to eat burritos... Horray for evolution!
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CaGeRit » Wed May 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I'll never be able to eat at chipotle again... thanks.
CaGeRit
Newcomer

Postby Axhead » Wed May 09, 2012 3:03 pm

CaGeRit wrote:I'll never be able to eat at chipotle again... thanks.

Its all good, just dont swallow... :shock: :oops:
Axhead
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ced23Ric » Wed May 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Axhead wrote:Its all good, just dont swallow... :shock: :oops:
Could that be a citation of her?
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby mchnzr » Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm

CaGeRit wrote:I'll never be able to eat at chipotle again... thanks.

What if you end up piloting a scrambler?
mchnzr
Young Gun

Postby shrimplor » Wed May 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Ced23Ric wrote:
Axhead wrote:Its all good, just dont swallow... :shock: :oops:
Could that be a citation of her?
:lol:
Very nice!
shrimplor
Chatty

Postby Wadmaasi » Wed May 09, 2012 4:54 pm

I can't decide it if the two long ponytail-things in the picture of the "Ijad Human Female" (p.76 on the preview) are actual ponytails or some sort of Ijad antennae thing.
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby Soren » Wed May 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Wadmaasi wrote:I can't decide it if the two long ponytail-things in the picture of the "Ijad Human Female" (p.76 on the preview) are actual ponytails or some sort of Ijad antennae thing.

They're Ijad antennae. Personally, I imagine it's a connection straight into the brainstem, around the base of the skull, but we haven't really gone into that. Yet.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm really happy someone figured that out!

I gotta do some sketches of a naked Ijad to send to Emilee. I'll post them as an update soon.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Wadmaasi » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:I'm really happy someone figured that out!

I don't remember the credit on that sketch, but they did it right. It's subtle, but it was still the first detail I noticed. Aaaand from rereading your post it must've been Emilee? Kudos to her.

So can a biological Ijad exist without a symbiont? Are there cultural Ijad who don't have a biological symbiont? Joshua, you've said that a human-Ijad pair is very analogous to a marriage; what's the divorce rate? What happens when an Ijad (cultural or biological) decides they're an atheist? On the Ijad homeworld, are they the only sentients? Assuming they are, how does the Ijad philosophy/religion of personal choice work when the non-biological Ijad member of a pair is a non-sapient being?
Wadmaasi
Been Around The Block

Postby ChaosChild » Thu May 10, 2012 9:46 am

Ijad beliefs state that nobody can tell someone else what to do unless they can touch them. If you're attached to their brainstem, you're definitely touching them so you can tell them what to do.

That may be a slightly more militant interpretation than was intended, but it's not out of line with Ijad philosophy as presented so far. I'm sure there are some Ijad communities out there that take this attitude to things.

This is why it's vitally important not to let the brain-slugs in in the first place. :)
ChaosChild
Talkative

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am

ChaosChild, what you're describing is rape, so, yeah, I'm sure it happens, but I'm also pretty sure it's a horrible thing to do.

Biological Ijad exist without symbionts, yeah, but they're really vulnerable. They have a really specialized diet, they move slowly, and they're soft.

I don't know what happens when and Ijad decides they're atheist! You'd have to ask them. It's a pretty personal decision and it probably stems from a lot of reflection and experience. The question, of course, is whether they still believe that it's ethical to tell someone what to do when you don't have a personal stake in the outcome for the person they're ordering. I mean, just because God doesn't exist, that doesn't mean it's right to order people around when the risk is theirs and not yours, right?

I couldn't possibly comment on the divorce rate. I'm sure it happens. I'm also pretty sure Ijad ride other Ijad and that it's considered gross, even if they're both consenting. Me, I try not to judge. I mean, I don't even have an crepusculated operculum, so I can't knock it because I can't try it.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby ChaosChild » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Sorry if that idea came across as nastier than intended. I was more thinking of Ijad bonded to non-sapient beings, which was one of the cases Wadmaasi raised, but I don't think it came across that way.

To be honest, I find the whole idea of the Ijad downright creepy.
ChaosChild
Talkative

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu May 10, 2012 1:20 pm

ChaosChild wrote:To be honest, I find the whole idea of the Ijad downright creepy.

Isn't that entirely the point though? They're suppose to be entirely-100% alien, something that should be terrifying at first (and further) glance. It shatters some of the preconceived notions of what typical Science Fiction aliens are. This is far scarier, because they meld with you, "take over you". And wait, it gets better, they have an entire religion too. Easily able to see how anyone can be freaked out. Even easier to see how a rival faction can twist this into propaganda.

If it weren't for knowing Joshua's pennant for avoiding Fascism, i'd be shocked that the Humans weren't just ready to exterminate (or capture/study) all of the Ijad, in typical Sci-Fi "We-Humans-are-dickheads" fashion.

But then Joshua [and Soren, and everyone, I don't want to avoid credit where it's due] gave the Ijad a personality, something to contrast their stark alien design to them, a Human element.

tl;dr - the guys who made MFZ did an awesome job.
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

We really don't like the idea of extermination.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm

I don't either. Just saying that it's the norm in Sci Fi material. :P
Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Yeah, they're supposed to be totally creepy, but also as much good guys as anyone else.

I mean, yeah, they're brain parasites, sure. And yes, they ride other critters in their ecosystem — that's how they evolved. They give superpowers the ghanat, boleh, uhmetwan, and other creatures they ride by giving them communication and problem solving power.

When they met humans, they were really excited to be able to ride with other minds. Humans are wonderful and alien to them.

When a human is ridden by an Ijad, it's like having someone else around. It's not like they're necessarily in control of your body, though you could have them do stuff with it if you wanted. Like, if the Ijad riding on you is a surgeon and you're a dairy farmer, you know which one's gonna be doing which jobs. But most of the time, the original inhabitant of the body has greater control; after all, they've grown up with it. Both consciousnesses are there and in full communication with each other the whole time, but the human (at least in most cases) can revoke body privileges.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Oh: I'm sure there are humans who want to exterminate the Ijad. Soren's Armored-Of-God Ijad want it the other way around. There are racists everywhere.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Background