TEM Insignia

Discussion of the background, history & universe
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - Your posts should reflect this

TEM Insignia

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:46 pm

I was browsing through the rulebook and I noticed something I hadn't before: a hint at the Terran Expeditionary Marines' insignia. As far as I know we've never been presented with an official image or description of the logo/emblem for this branch of the Solar Union. If you turn to the Solar Union Militaries section of the rulebook, alongside the brief description of each military branch is a rendering of a pilot from the associated organization. Looking closely at the uniforms of those personnel (which I've combined into a comparison shot in the image below), you can spot the insignia used by each branch:

SUMilitarySymbols-Comparison.jpg
Click on the attachment for a larger view.

The TEM uniform bears the standard Terran Transit Authority logo, the UMFL uniform uses same insignia presented and described earlier in the book, and the TEM uniform features an obscured emblem. With the parts can be seen, I would say the TEM insignia appears to be reminiscent of the Marine Corps logo:

MarineCorp_Logo.jpg

The largely symmetrical emblem features wings over what appears to be a representation the key planets of the Sol System (similar to that of the Great Seal of the Solar Union presented on page 14 of the rulebook) with a circle to either side. Here's an approximation of what the insignia might look like (I borrowed the wings from somewhere on the internet and this slapped together in Mircosoft Paint):

SU TEM Symbol.jpg

So thoughts and theories of what the full insignia should look like? Is it an eagle hovering over the Sol System or perhaps a winged sword (similar to the SAS badge) guarding the Solar Union's interests?
What about the various symbols utilized in the emblem? Are the two circles representative of some ideals of the TEM or perhaps representations of the two primary planets/moons they train on?
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Re: TEM Insignia

Postby SeraphimKnight » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 pm

The wings look more to me like what you'd see on the WW2-era German eagle imagery and it probably has, like you suggested, a sword in the middle like the SAS badge. Or just an eagle as it's likely inspired by the marines corps logo. The rest I feel is pretty close, but would likely require a bit more finesse. Maybe something indicating which planet is which? Something akin to the alchemical symbols for planets would make for some nice imagery. Once we get a consensus on what it should be like, I could try to mock something up on Illustrator or photoshop for those interested.
SeraphimKnight
Talkative

Postby gusindor » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm

I hope the two circles to the side stand for Unity and Duty.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Red_Robot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 pm

First of all, Spacemonkey, that's a pretty sharp eye, not only in spotting the patch but piecing out the elements of the device.

Your mock-up looks pretty close, especially just to be some grabs of clip art. The wings look to have more hard angles in the rulebook illustration. And I'm on the side of winged sword as opposed to eagle rampant, just simply because that seems more appropriate for the roving military arm of a multinational/multiplanetary democratic government.

As for the two circles on the sides of the device, I find those puzzling. I like Gusindor's idea that they stand for Unity and Duty. But I was wondering if perhaps they were some sort of representation of Transit Gates, to express that the Expeditionary Marines are a spaceborne military force that moves from theatre to theatre as needed. Perhaps there is a line that goes through the device that connects the circles?
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm

SeraphimKnight wrote:Maybe something indicating which planet is which? Something akin to the alchemical symbols for planets would make for some nice imagery. Once we get a consensus on what it should be like, I could try to mock something up on Illustrator or photoshop for those interested.
Well they don't have any special markings on the Great Seal of the Solar Union either; perhaps indicating that as founders of the Union each of these planets are meant to be equal partners or united in purpose? I would definitely like to see a more polished mock up if we can get a consensus (or official word from Joshua or Soren).

Red Robot wrote:First of all, Spacemonkey, that's a pretty sharp eye, not only in spotting the patch but piecing out the elements of the device.

Thanks. I feel like I'm a bit of Solar Union military "fluff"-nut (or "crunch"-nut, to use Joshua's preferred term for the setting information) so I may obsess bit over the little details and their implications. :oops:

Red Robot wrote:Your mock-up looks pretty close, especially just to be some grabs of clip art. The wings look to have more hard angles in the rulebook illustration.

The wings in the illustration are definitely more hard angles, probably more reminiscent of the WW2 eagle imagery SeraphimKnight mentioned. The ones I used were about the closest I could find to the general orientation of the feathers and I suspose there might be some minor variation between a formal flag or logo illustration and a unit patch like one in the illustration.

Red Robot wrote:As for the two circles on the sides of the device, I find those puzzling. I like Gusindor's idea that they stand for Unity and Duty. But I was wondering if perhaps they were some sort of representation of Transit Gates, to express that the Expeditionary Marines are a spaceborne military force that moves from theatre to theatre as needed. Perhaps there is a line that goes through the device that connects the circles?

Transit Gates! Seems obvious now that you mention it, so I would say a definite possibility there. I can't say I see any indication of a line connecting the circles though but not impossible. I also like gusindor's idea of them representing "Unity and Duty".
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 pm

spacemonkey wrote:The TEM uniform bears the standard Terran Transit Authority logo, the UMFL uniform uses same insignia presented and described earlier in the book, and the TEM uniform features an obscured emblem. With the parts can be seen, I would say the TEM insignia appears to be reminiscent of the Marine Corps logo:

My guess? It's a stylized version of the letters TEM in a vertical stack. Just as the TTM logo is a stylized version of the letters TTA.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Well its been awhile but I decided to take another crack at it:
SU TEM Symbol Redux.jpg

As can be seen, I changed the wings to ones more reminiscent of the those seen on the uniform insignia, placed a sword in the center (which might easily be hidden by that uniform's arm edge/crease), and I liked Mantisking's idea of vertically stacked letters so I added them to the sword blade.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm

A bit of a necro, here, but relevant to my interests and I have a bit of insight to add. Using the meager tools and talent I have, I was able to isolate, rotate, align, and enlarge the original insignia to the best of my ability which is most likely the reverse process the artist used to create the patches in the first place. The result:

This is nearing the edge of my expertise. The circles flanking the orbit-like design in the middle are different sizes. My mind immediately goes to Phobos and Deimos, the moons of Mars, as the planet plays a large role in the lore of MF0. The paired objects are both sheltered by the wings, while remaining "above" the feature in the middle of the patch. The orbits seem to be a credible interpretation, though they resemble a single spiral than individual circles. The placement of dots on said feature are opposite and diagonal, and only two are visible, though a sizable gap remains despite my efforts.

Joshua asked what my favorite faction from the fiction was at PAX, to which I answered the TEMs. According to him, they were more of an after-thought and filler material than the other SU factions. The only image of a TEM is a cross between a US Marine speaking at a press conference and a prominent member of the Israeli Defense Forces.

I enjoy the efforts ongoing to recreate the seal of the Terran Expeditionary Marines, and if this information provides any assistance, I'm glad to have helped.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Can't we just ask Ryujin for the original art?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 am

Ryujin did the technical art (frames, weapons, etc) but the character art was done by Emilee Denich.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 am

spacemonkey wrote:Ryujin did the technical art (frames, weapons, etc) but the character art was done by Emilee Denich.

The same aplies, can't we just ask Emilee Denich for the original art?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby LordShadeck » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Any result, from the search?
Have you asked the artist, or the "supervisor"?
Im very curious!

We have not enough deteail, to reconstuct the badge, we make just guesses.
Lord Cpt. B. "Shadeck" Miller.
Sagittarius rift - 5329452
Planetary Defense Forces, 1st. regiment, 3rd. company

"Stand tall, and believe!"
LordShadeck
Newcomer

Postby Trokodile » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 pm

gusindor wrote:I hope the two circles to the side stand for Unity and Duty.

And the center one, of course, is destiny. :D
To quote the great Artasid, "I hope you enjoyed and I always am eagerly awaiting any and all comments you wish to share."
Trokodile
Talkative

Postby SamSam » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Trokodile wrote:
gusindor wrote:I hope the two circles to the side stand for Unity and Duty.

And the center one, of course, is destiny. :D

Hahaha bionikle refarence
SamSam
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Background