[Discussion] The Battle for June

This forum is where there will be Announcement and Discussion of any and all contests the Administration/Moderation Team decide to run.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Re: [Discussion] The Battle for June

Postby Scrape » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 pm

It's gonna be close! I'm about to post one more report but I have a feeling that C23dric or Red Robot also has something up their sleeve... no matter who wins, great contest idea and we had fun participating. Basically, everyone wins because it gave me a good excuse to play much more often and avoid my wife getting annoyed: "honey, I have to win this contest..."
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for putting me on the board even though my entry wouldn't hold up to a regulation check. :)

I enjoyed reading these, got some great info on play setup and tactics, and also enjoyed watching the quality improve.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

I hope this is the first of many contests. Future ones could include stipulations like certain terrain features, battlefield layouts, stuff like that. Or like, building contests for frames, ships, stations, and terrain. Or even MFZ background/fiction writing. So many cool options, I hope they keep coming! :D
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Red_Robot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:33 am

Well that's it for me. That's the best I can do. I had planned to get one more report in, but unexpected things happened last weekend and real life loomed large for awhile. Nevertheless I had a great time, and I'd like to tip my hat to Scrape for his enthusiasm and ambition, and especially to Ced23Ric for doing such an amazing job on his brick crusade and being an enviable ambassador for the game as a whole. It's been a fun contest and I'm looking forward to the next one.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:54 am

I got two more half reports and one full, from the 28th of June.

If I should take the cake here, I'd like to offer to someone else, though. I am drowning in Travis bricks and postage to Europe is poopy. Hopefully, MK finds someone fitting. Maybe a new player looking to get into this!
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 am

It's Monday and the final hours are ticking away. Right now the standings are as follows:
Red Robot - 5
Scrape - 5
Ced23Ric - 4
Blorf - 1
Soriansj - 1

The big news is that we've had 17 battle reports this month. Before this month we were averaging 2.6. I hope people keep reporting on their games with the same volume after this month is over.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 am

Oh no, it's gonna be a tie! :shock:
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:28 am

Scrape wrote:I hope this is the first of many contests. Future ones ... MFZ background/fiction writing.

This is what I want to do, I just haven't figured out a way to make it work.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:51 pm

Take fiction submissions via email, post them anonymously through your account, let people vote on their favorites?
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Probably should involve some sort of min/max word count to keep them comparable but would people be allowed multiple entries? :|
Maybe starting with an art/photography contest first would be an easier way to boost submissions to that forum?
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 pm

Scrape wrote:Take fiction submissions via email, post them anonymously through your account, let people vote on their favorites?
spacemonkey wrote:Probably should involve some sort of min/max word count to keep them comparable but would people be allowed multiple entries? :|
Maybe starting with an art/photography contest first would be an easier way to boost submissions to that forum?

Those are some good points. It should be discussed elsewhere though. Let's keep the focus on this contest in this thread.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:44 pm

I've got some ideas, but I'll pm them. To focus on this contest: what if we tie?! :shock: Do we get to split the cup or will there be a tiebreaker round or something? Or a coin toss? :D

I have one more battle report I could hastily write up but it wasn't my game, so that'd be cheating! Unless I change the names and you'll never know, bwahahaha :twisted: (just kidding, obvs)

EDIT: can I start a "contest ideas" thread here, or would you rather I pm you and leave this subforum clutter-free?
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby FragsturBait » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Do the thread. An art contest would be awesome, and you guys could offer the winner a render of their favorite frame by Vincent or something.
FragsturBait
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Scrape wrote:I've got some ideas, but I'll pm them. To focus on this contest: what if we tie?! :shock: Do we get to split the cup or will there be a tiebreaker round or something? Or a coin toss? :D

Since the World Cup is running right now, we're going to a Penalty Shots tie-breaker. No, not really. You'll both win the prize.

Scrape wrote:EDIT: can I start a "contest ideas" thread here, or would you rather I pm you and leave this subforum clutter-free?

PM me.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:03 am

We have our winners! Red Robot and Scrape take home the victory with five battle reports each. PM me your address and I'll get your prize out to you by the end of the week.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 am

Done! This was a good battle, hard fought. I'd like to thank my frequent opponent Pete and everyone who came out to Jiffycon. :cry: What an honor!

Now, to finish that book of frame builds...
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Red_Robot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Hooray! I had a great time with this contest and couldn't have asked for a better bunch with which to compete. It was a good learning experience, and I owe much of it to my frequent partners in crime the SSB.

Great job, Scrape! And also a bow of my head to Ced23Ric who was doing it for the love of the game, and not the prestige.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Ced23Ric » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 pm

Red_Robot wrote:And also a bow of my head to Ced23Ric who was doing it for the love of the game, and not the prestige.

Getting people to play is it's own reward. :)
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Scrape » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 pm

I look forward to future contests! Mantis, did you get my PM?
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 am

Scrape wrote:I look forward to future contests! Mantis, did you get my PM?

Yes. We're talking it over backstage.
Mantisking
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Official Contests