[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.5.0

Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.5.0

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.5.0

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:12 am

Last edited by Cake on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:39 am, edited 12 times in total.
Version 0.5.1 coming soon, with some tweaks and bits that I missed in 0.5.0.

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.1

Postby Vitoria » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

This is looking very fun!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.1

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:34 pm

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.1.1

Postby Luke_BMM » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 pm

This looks brilliant. The systems are really great choices and I like the clarity and depth of the core concepts.

A few thoughts:

- Do you need an out of bounds? With the checkpoints and with the buildings being implicitly "in-bounds", would it suffice to say that you could lay out the buildings in a vaguely track shape and that will inherently direct the flow of action (keeping everyone bunched up for interference rolls in the process)?

- How's the balance between systems looking? Green and yellow seem a bit stronger than blue and red, at first glance (but we all said the thing about yellow aces in IO before anyone had really tried it out, so I could be waaaaay off base).

- While the intention seems pretty clear, I don't see the limitations on jump boosts explicitly spelled out, except in the example. So you assign a white or yellow die to the pool of jump boosts for your entire turn and then you can gamble on each jump, drawing from that pool of dice, right?

I might spread out a sprawling oval of buildings (plates of various sizes, with one brick height being one floor) across my rug and give it a shot with a pair of 4p frames. Really looks like a ton of fun.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby HyveMynd » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:20 pm

This does look like a lot of fun. I'm a bit confused about how the oval track is set up though. An illustration or a diagram would help clarify things.

Edit: Also, I could see this becoming some sort of roller derby-inspired game.
@HyveMynd basically everywhere

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:50 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Red_Robot » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 am

This look like a very good set of rules for racing frames; both fun and functional. For the sake of play testing and "breaking the game" I've got a few thoughts and suggestions.

The Racing Frame
For the sake of clarity, it might be good to specifically state in this section what a racing frame without systems can and cannot do. It seems a frame without systems can Move, Jump, Interfere, and React. It might be good to clarify this just for the sake of expediency.

The Ruler
In MFZ: Rapid Attack, the ruler is adjusted for smaller playing areas because the ruler defines the Range of Direct Fire and Artillery weapon systems. Since there are no ranged attack systems in Rooftop Racing, adjusting the length of the ruler from 8 units to 6 units essentially has no game effect. The only practical use of the 8 unit ruler is for determining the size of the track.

Jumping
Jumping seems like an important mechanic. But I'm a bit like Luke_BMM in that I had to read through the section a couple of times to make sure I had a grasp of the system. Maybe a little different wording to the text to clarify the concept of Jump Boost as a system mechanic and how it translates to a "jump dice pool."

Jumping Down
In the system as it stands, jumping up is far more dangerous than jumping down. However, jumping down is basically just controlled falling. With the rules as written, a frame jumping down to another rooftop 3 RU away and 3 Elevations down only needs one success on a Jump Pool roll to make it. But if a frame were to fall the same distance it would potentially take 6 dice of damage which would be enough to destroy an undamaged frame.

I feel like there should be more risk involved. Perhaps the rule should be be that you only need the RU minus the Elevation difference to land on the target rooftop, but you need more successes on your Jump Pool roll to "stick the landing" and mitigate falling damage. So in the above example, you would only need 1 success to land on the lower rooftop, but you would need 3 more successes to cancel potential falling damage from the elevation difference. Every point of elevation difference that isn't canceled in this way would be handled as falling damage per normal.

Frames as Obstacles
The rules state that a minimum area for a rooftop that a frame can occupy is 4 studs by 4 studs. The rules also state that Frames cannot Move through other Frames. Does this mean a frame standing on a 4x4 rooftop effectively blocks all other frames from landing on it, and they don't even get a chance to shove it off?

I personally think if a frame can move through an obstacle, it should be able to move through or over other frames as long as they don't occupy the same space at the end of movement. This allows frames with movement systems to "leapfrog" other frames and jockey for position more.

Climbing
Frames can climb to get back on rooftops. Is it valid for a frame to travel around the faces of buildings and bypass rooftops that might otherwise be too far for it to reach by jumping or be too crowded with other frames to occupy?

Optional Rule: Redlining or Grandstanding
In Rapid Attack, I like the mechanic of the Single Shot Rocket, and I like the idea of expendable resources to add to the tension of decision making. In racing and other sporting or competitive fiction, "redlining your car" or "pushing it to the limit" is a common trope. Perhaps you could have an element of this in rooftop racing by have a "Redline Die." Perhaps this is a single use white(!) D8 that you can use by announcing, "I'm REDLINING it!" and you can expend it like any other white die in your pool. It's definitely a gamble, and chances are it won't give you much better results than a regular white die, but the potential is there to be able to get that little boost of speed or reaction to push through and beat a tough opponent or cross the finish line first.
When the Weepers first came through the gate, we didn't know why. We only knew that they were angry.
Red_Robot
Been Around The Block

Postby Cake » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.2.0

Postby Cake » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 pm

Last edited by Cake on Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.2.1

Postby Cake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 pm

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.3.0

Postby Cake » Fri May 01, 2015 11:41 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Cake » Thu May 14, 2015 5:26 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Cake » Wed May 27, 2015 4:42 pm

The Track
The table used for the track is approximately 14 Ruler Units in diameter - this is just big enough to fit some rooftops and the 4 Check Points a reasonable distance apart. Buildings are assumed to be at 6 bricks high, unless there are extra bricks to raise them up (there are two 12-brick high buildings).

Entrants:
Tallboy (Green) with 2 Movement Systems, 1 Reaction System, and 1 Jump Boost System
Bulb Head (Blue) with 2 Reaction Systems, 1 Interference System, and 1 Jump Boost System
Squidge (Red) with 2 Interference Systems, 1 Reaction System, and 1 Movement System
Round Head (Yellow) with 2 Jump Boost Systems, 1 Interference System, and 1 Movement System

Here are the Frames with their respective Check Point Markers:

Check Points:
Height of yellow 1x1 round plate indicates Check Point number. The Check Points shown are in ascending order from left to right.

Start/Finish Area:
This is the Start/Finish Area with Check Point 4 at the far right of the image. The white plates under the two Rulers are the boundary markers for the Start/Finish Area.

Check Point Distance:
This image shows the distance between Check Points 3 and 4. It is just over 1 Ruler length. The building holding Check Point 3 is 12 bricks high, as is the building roughly 4 ruler units away – the rest are assumed to be 6 bricks high (though some are actually 7 bricks high)

Check Point Markers:
Shown here are the Check Point Markers next to the associated Frame, and that Frames Systems. The colour of the flag matches the doubled System on the Frame, except for Blue, as I don’t have many Blue flags.

Dice:
Here are the dice for the Frames, organised under the Frames Check Point Marker. Pretend the red d8 is white (I have no white ones. Yet). The d6 under the d8 are the Turn Activation Order dice. The Frames with one or more Reaction Systems get an extra d6 for each Reaction System, which is why all but Yellow have more than one.

Turn 1
Turn Order:
After rolling for Turn Order Activation, Blue secured 1st with a 6, while Red and Green rolled off for 2nd and 3rd, with Yellow starting 4th.

Starting Positions
Blue placed first, right at the front of the rooftop with Red opting to place a touch farther away, making it crammed at the back for Green and Yellow to place.

The Race Starts:
Blue opted to open the race by Tripping Red and then making a run for CP1. Red didn’t roll a high enough Reaction to prevent Blue from Tripping it – Red fully intended to Push Blue if it could catch up.
Blue’s dice rolls, the White 2 became its Movement score:

Blue set off, hopping to the nearest building that was less than 1RU away (using one point of Jump Boost from its Pool).

Moving across the rooftop (-1 Movement), Blue needed to clear a 3RU gap. To do so, it converted its remaining 5 Jump Boost pips into a Dice Pool of 5.
Left: Blue’s Jump Boost score - Right: Blue’s Jump Boost Pool

Rolling all of these, Blue was able to clear the gap with 2 hits, and was able to reach the CP with the last of its Movement and place its CP Marker.
Blue’s Jump roll:

Blue touches the first Check Point:

After rolling its dice, Red spends 1 point of Movement standing back up, and another point to get closer to the next building. Red has a Jump Boost score of 5, so uses 2 of these to clear the gap to the next building, before spending another point of Movement to move across that building and then uses the last 3 Jump Boost dice to successfully Jump to the building holding Check Point 1. Red didn’t roll a high enough Interference score to Push Blue.
Red’s path to vengeance:

Next, Green decides that Tripping Yellow is a good idea, before running for the Check Point. Green rolls 5s for all Systems, and assigns a White 5 to Interference. Yellow fails to React (rolled low) so opts to Push Green if it can catch up.

Green Moves across the building, hops the 1 RU gap, moves again, and with a single Success from its Jump Boost Pool, successfully makes it across to Check Point 1.

Finally Yellow spends a Movement point to stand back up, also hops across to the next building before jumping to Check Point 1s building. The roof of the building is packed with Frames, so Yellow opts to Jump to roof edge, jumping successfully.
Yellow hanging on the edge:

Yellow uses its remaining Movement to shimmy around the edge of the rooftop, before climbing on to the roof and pushing Green off the building. The fall is enough to cause 2 Systems worth of damage to Green who opts to lose a Green and a Blue System. However, as Green had the Blue Reaction System before being Pushed, it lands on its feet and is not Tripped, though the impact is undoubtedly bone-jarring.
Where Green falls:

The turn ends with Yellow touching the Check Point. All 4 frames have reached Check Point 1, and are essentially neck-a-neck.
For some reason I don’t have a picture of the end of Turn 1…

Turn 2
Green now only has 1 d6 to roll for Turn Activation Order due to losing its Reaction System at the end of Turn 1. The other Frames remain unchanged.

Turn Order
After rolling for Turn Activation Order (TAO), Blue gets first, Red second, Yellow third, and Green activates last.

Starting the turn, Blue opts to Push Yellow (failing to do so, Yellow intends to exact revenge) then runs for Check Point 2, clearing the gap between the buildings with ease.

Red opts to Run Interference against Blue and sets off from Check Point 1, Red clears the gap and gets close enough to Blue to give it a Push. Red shoves hard, Pushing Blue 2 RUs and off the building. Blue lands on its feet, but hard and loses a Reaction System.

Yellow sets off and hops across the gap and has enough Movement to get right to the edge of the new rooftop, lining up ready for Jump. However, as Yellow only got a 2 for its Jump Boost score, and spent 1 point hopping across the first gap, it is unable to Jump further as the gap in front of it is too far (2 RU).

Finally Green hopes to Trip Red if it can get close enough (though doesn’t roll high enough for its Interference), but must first navigate up Check Point 1s building and across to the next building. Rolling all of its Jump Boost Dice Pool, Green fails to get any hits and falls mid-way between the two buildings. As Green has no Reaction Systems, it lands face first on the ground and loses another 2 Systems, leaving it with just White dice to roll…

Where everyone ends up at the end of Turn 2:

Turn 3
TAO is determined, and Yellow gets to start Turn 3. After a superb run in the previous Turn, Yellow merely has to hop across to Check Point 2s building and quickly raises its flag. Yellow is ready to move on to heck Point 3 next turn, and has a strong Reaction to dissuade any potential interference this turn.

Blue is up next, and knowing Yellows Reaction score, opts not to Run Interference (Green and Red are both in the wrong direction). Blue rolls enough to scale the building Red Pushed it off, and Jump over to Check Point 2 and touch it.

Green rolls poorly (both White dice came up as 1s!) so can only stand up this turn.

Finally Red sets off towards Check Point 2 with intentions of Pushing Blue off another building. Red doesn’t roll high enough to affect Blue, but successfully reaches Check Point 2 and raises its flag.

Another crowded rooftop at the end of Turn 3:

Turn 4
Red gets first Activation, and promptly Pushes Yellow of the building and into another one. The ensuing fall causes Yellow to lose a Yellow Jump Boost System and become Tripped – as Yellow is Activating 3rd this turn, it intends to Run Interference against Blue. Red successfully clears two Jumps and finds itself with a Jump up to Check Point 3 in Turn 5.

Blue Activates, aiming to Run Interference against Red (this is impeded by a poor Interference roll vs Reds Reaction). Nevertheless, Blues Movement and Jumping puts it right behind Red on the rooftop below Check Point 3.

Yellow Activates next and recovers from its Trip. Yellow doesn’t roll enough to reach Red, so instead opts to make a long Jump to a building that has a processing tower on its rooftop.

Green ends the Turn with a set of better dice rolls and makes a good sprint across the rooftops before leaping to Check Point 2 and planting its flag.

Positions at the end of Turn 4:

Turn 5
Turn 5 opens with Red Activating first. Red sets off by unsuccessfully Running Interference against Blue (Blue will attempt the same against Red), and then goes to Jump up to Check Point 3. The gap is less than 1 RU, so is counted as 1 RU, and the building is 6 bricks higher. Red has 6 dice in its Jump Boost Pool, so rolls all of them and gets 3 hits, landing neatly on the rooftop and placing its flag on Check Point 3.
A small gap, a big Jump:

Blue Activates next and attempts to make the same Jump as Red, however, Blue fails to roll any hits, so falls 6 bricks down to the ground, losing its Interference System in the process. Blue lands on its feet, thanks to its Reaction System. Finally, Blue climbs part way up the building with its Movement, and is left hanging on to the side of the building, prior to Turn 6

Yellow also intends to Run Interference against Red if it can make it up to Check Point 3. Rolling well for both Movement and Jump Boost, but not for Interference, Yellow clears its first Jump and then its second Jump up to Check Point 3. Yellow raises its flag, and all eyes turn to Green…
Green has a lot to do, but rolls well and finds itself in a strong position to reach for Check Point 3 in Turn 5.

At the end of Turn 5:

Turn 6
Blue opens up the Activation for this turn and climbs up to the rooftop, plants its flag at Check Point 3, and then Trips Red up.

Red Activates next, and after failing to Push Yellow, Jumps down to a long building offering a safe approach to Check Point 4 in the Start/Finish Area.

The Jump down is across a gap of 2 RU, but the distance is only 1 RU as the drop is 6 bricks:

To make the Jump down, Red only needs 1 hit, but needs a second hit to land softly enough to not damage the Frame. Red rolls a single hit, enough to make the Jump, but not enough to cushion the landing, causing the loss of one of its Interference Systems. At the end of its Move, Red has a 3 RU gap to Jump to claim First place…

Red rolls its remaining Jump Boost Dice Pool (4 dice) and fails to get a single hit. It suffers no damage from the drop, partly due to landing on its feet thanks to the attached Reaction System.

Green Activates next and makes a running Jump up to plant its flag at Check Point 3.

Finally Yellow Activates, and runs off after Red. Yellow successfully Jumps down to the lower rooftop, and makes it most of the way across before running out of Movement.

At the end of Turn 6:

Turn 7
Red gets first Activation and opts to REDLINE its Systems, getting a 7 on the White d8 it rolled. It uses this to reach Check Point 4, plant its flag and claim First place.

Green is up next, also REDLINEs its Systems, and with a pair of 6s, Jumps down, lands badly knocking off one of its White d6, sprints past Yellow and makes the leap to Check Point 4 stealing Second place. The crowd goes wild!

Blue opts to Jump across to another 12 brick building, making it across successfully, though it can’t get any further this turn, even after REDLINING its Systems.

Yellow makes its final Jump of the race, landing neatly next to Check Point. Yellow plants its flag, claiming Third place, and promptly pushes Red off the building (such a sore loser).

At the end of Turn 7:

Turn 8
Turn 8 ends with Blue making a superb leap across to Check Point 4 for its elevated position, finishing the race in Fourth.

Race End:

In Conclusion
I found the update to be less likely to destroy Frames before they’re even a quarter of the way around the Track – in a previous trial using identical Frame loadouts, Blue was wrecked before it had reached Check Point 2.

Things seem to run smoothly, though I’m in two minds about granting a System-less Frame a Green d6 or d8 to reflect the reduced weight of the Frame – not that Green needed it in this race, stealing Second place from Yellow.

Red lining was left until the very end (I honestly forgot about it – I was using the red d8s to record who was going when on my System tracker). I’ve had a few thoughts about this, including making the RED LINING call occur before the Turn Activation Order roll off to grant an additional d6 (or a d8).

I’ve got a bit of tweaking to do to the Jump rules, but I think I’ll be posting Version 0.3.1 very soon.

EDIT: I've had a thought regarding the Start/Finish - possibly altering the number of Check Points depending on the size of the Track (in this case the Track would have 3 Check Points) with the Frames merely having to return to the Start Area once hitting the last Check Point outside it. This could result in larger Tracks having more Check Points, or I could reduce the distance between the Check Points slightly... hmm.

If you have any feedback, I’d appreciate it :D

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Re: Rooftop Racing Rules - v0.4.0

Postby Cake » Thu May 28, 2015 10:07 am

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 pm

The game report definitely helped me understand it better. I wonder about the balance concerning damage. Take damage early on and you aren't likely to catch up. Green took second in your race, but it loaded heavy movement (which would typically be an advantage in racing) and you stated multiple times that it rolled really well. If either of those hadn't been true, that player would likely be bored and possibly upset at their total lack of chance or even influence.

Another effect worth considering: turn order is massively important. The standings for the game were essentially decided by turn order in the last round. If you don't want it to be quite that important, you'll need to find a way around it.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Thu May 28, 2015 4:21 pm

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Maybe frames don't take damage, but getting back onto the roof is more time consuming.

If ground travel is legal, it should still be illegal to place checkpoints there. Again, maybe climbing is more time consuming, and frames on the ground must always navigate around buildings. Buildings should be hard to get around, so that being on the ground isn't really a good choice to make most of the time.

Turn order could simply be last-to-first, giving players a chance to catch up to and tear down a player in front. This may also slow the game a bit (If I pass him he goes before me next time) which allows others to catch up. There's also the choice of 'do I use half my move to catch up and try to knock him off, or all my move to go on past?'. This should definitely be playtested out as there may be other undesired effects. You also need a reliable way of determining the rank at any given time, which is harder if checkpoints aren't required.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby attackowl » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:05 pm

I want to try to replicate this game with Intercept Orbit. Rooftop Regatta, anyone?
Tau Ceti Defense Industries-Your safety is our business.
~~TCD-K5 Bulwark coming soon~~
attackowl
Newcomer

Postby Vitoria » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:25 pm

That sure sounds like fun!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Cake » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:06 am

Thanks for the interest :)

This reminds me that I really should put up the v0.5.0 Rules. should try and get them up in the next week or two, certainly by the end of the year.

It's a bit of different beast compared to v0.4.0 (and probably also contain all the rules, which I'm not sure are here in v0.4.0 for some reason - it's been a while).

Changes you can expect to see:
Improved movement - it's less complicated, and incorporates jumping
Yellow dice allow frames to assist others in the race (much like how Spots work)
There may even be rules for weapons (using black dice) in unofficial races!
There's probably other things, but I can't remember them right now

CK Industries

Cake
Talkative

Next

Return to Fan Created Rules