Single-Deployment Mines

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Single-Deployment Mines

Postby Trokodile » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Quick and simple add-on feature for RA.
The idea is a second type of SSR called a Single-Deployment Mine. These count as part of the SSR limit, and are interchangeable (meaning you cannot have 3 SSRs and 3 SDMs, you must have a COMBINED total of 3).

General Rules:
You may use a SDM out of combat only. To use a SDM, roll a single d6G . The mine must be placed EXACTLY that many ruler units away from the deploying frame. Now, that mine remains in that location on the battlefield until an opponent's frame gets within 1 ruler unit of it. At that point, damage is calculated, and the SDM is removed from the game.

Damage Calculation:
Upon a frame being within 1 ruler unit of it, the mine explodes. Roll a single d8Rr for damage. This damage can only be blocked by a 6 defense and will hit everything within a 2-unit radius. All cover in that area takes damage regardless of whether or not it would hit frames. If the explosion hits cover, everything behind that cover avoids damage.

Mine Throwing and Placement:
A SDM may be placed at any time on a Frame's turn except during combat. To place a SDM, choose a direction, then roll a single d6G . Order is important! Place the mine that many units away from the frame in that direction. If the mine would hit cover, it moves back 1 unit and stays there. (I.E. a frame rolls a 4, but the mine would hit cover on the 3rd unit. The mine would be placed between the thrower and the cover, one unit away from the cover. The SDM would probably be around 2 units away from the throwing frame.
SDMs are also place when the carrier is destroyed. If a Frame has 1 or more SDMs left when it takes fatal damage, the remaining SDMs are placed 1 unit away from where the frame died, in a direction opposite where the final hit came from.

Mine Size and Distinguishment:
A SDM is usually made of two stacked 2x2 dishes with some sort of 1x1 stud on top. Use this stud, or the color of the discs, to determine which team owns the mine. My personal SDM consists of a trans blue disc, a trans pink disc, and a black 1x1 bar tile so it can be held and thrown.

Frame with Placed Mines:
my FULL gallery

Did anyone else pick the firey soccer-playing ninja bunny?

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Re: Single-Deployment Mines

Postby Vitoria » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Interesting idea, could you elaborate on how the damage is calculated?

If I get a 7 out of the d8Rr does it means I have 3 damage dice against a frame with 4 defense?
VitorFaria (she/her)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
Vitoria
Mod Team

Re: Single-Deployment Mines

Postby Trokodile » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:03 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Interesting idea, could you elaborate on how the damage is calculated?

If I get a 7 out of the d8Rr does it means I have 3 damage dice against a frame with 4 defense?

Damage is calculated regularly, just when the Mine is blown up. The one die will damage everything around it except things blocked by cover or things with a Defense of 6. Any Defense Roll lower than 6 is the same as an undefended frame in this case. In my test, it was just treated as a d8Rr that got activated when my opponent, sassy22, got too close. I rolled the d8Rr die for it and ended up with a 5 or another number that results in a hit. It was in the middle of two terrain pieces; with about 1.5 units in-between the terrain, the mine was sitting dead center. The frame that triggered it, with a Defense roll of 4, was the only thing in range besides the terrain. So, it took the hit along with the terrain, since the frame was not in cover compared to the mine.
Just gonna clarify something else here, too: To check cover, treat it as if the Mine is an attacking frame and everything around it is its targets.
my FULL gallery

Did anyone else pick the firey soccer-playing ninja bunny?

"Press #E0ECEE for stealth mode!"
Trokodile
Been Around The Block

Return to Fan Created Rules