Operators

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

Operators

Postby Trokodile » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:25 pm

Some of you may have noticed my recent question about the term for a frame with a specific pilot. I was told that there is no precedent in the RA rules for this, and that there is also a lack of a specific term.
Atavism wrote:Yeah there's not an established slang word for it or anything, so it really depends on whatever background fluff you're constructing to explain why these people are important enough to be "named" pilots
Blorf wrote:There's no differentiation for that within the game rules for RA
So call them whatever you'd like for however you play.

So, I'm implementing what is known as Operators into my house rules, and would love it if others tried the same idea. A frame with a named pilot is called as an Operator. Only one Operator is allowed per standard multiplayer company. Operators are standard frames, either with major aesthetic differences or a "borrowed" design that has been recoloured.
Examples:
Spoiler: show
Phoenix's Vindicator
This is a customized variant of the "Giant" design of mine. The original is a take on SuspendedAnimation's "Rigel", but there are differences to the core that technically make it a different frame. Phoenix has modified her Vindicator to give it neon-laced armor plating and red-and-gold highlights that reflect her nickname onto her Frame.
AEILOS Industries' Kyutai
The Kyutai is a design that was originally built by Artasid. I made one with drastic color differences and adapted it to my MF0 universe. Therefore, it could be considered an Operator. The only exception would be if I had multiple of the same core with the same colors, in which case I would need to build a second color scheme to have an Operator.

The reason Operators are special is because they get to have a special ability, chosen from the below list.
Spoiler: show
-----Hand-to-Hand-----
I. Strength: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with a permanent d6Rh . This counts as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It cannot carry any d8Rr .
II. Brawler: If the frame has no d6B systems, it gains a permanent d8Rh.
-----Direct-----
I. Firepower: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with a permanent d6Rd . This counts as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It cannot carry any d8Rr .
II. Pistolier: If the frame has no d6Y systems, it gains a permanent d8Rd .
-----Artillery-----
I. Accelerated: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with a permanent d6Ra . This counts as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It cannot carry any d8Rr .
II. Super Scope: The frame can ignore cover when attacking at d6Ra range, but cannot assign d6W to defense.
III. Assassin: If the frame has no d6G systems, it gains a permanent d8Ra .
-----Defense-----
I. Plated: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with a permanent d6B . This counts as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It cannot gain any boosts from d8G .
II. Armored: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with 2 permanent d6B . These count as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It is unable to gain any boosts from d6G or d8G .
-----Movement-----
I. Boosted: Replace one of the frame's neutral dice with a permanent d6G . This counts as part of the core of the frame and cannot be destroyed. It is unable to gain any boosts from d8Rh .
II. Lightweight Armor: Gain a permanent d8G . The frame's d6B become d4s.
III. Hyperagile: Gain a permanent d6G . The frame cannot gain any boosts from d8Rh .
-----Spotting-----
I. Observant: The frame can spot anywhere on the board. All d6G rolls are reduced by 1.
II. Unaware: If the frame has no d6B systems, all attack rolls get a +1, up to a value of 6.
-----Piloting-----
Please offer suggestions as to what these should be. These should be unrelated to the above system types. One idea is adding an extra d6W , but without the health boost. What level should that be at?
I. Trained: Requires 1 prior game use of chosen frame.
II. Skilled: Requires 3 prior game uses of chosen frame.
III. Experienced: Requires 5 prior game uses of chosen frame, with at least 1 win.
IV. Veteran: Requires 5 or more prior game uses of chosen frame, with a majority of wins.

Note that these abilities are currently untested and work in theory. As for strategies, different builds for different Operator abilities could be helpful to various points.
One idea I liked was the freedom of abilities like Brawler and Pistolier. They don't ban the use of other systems, but rather only activate once the frame has none. For Brawler, I think a d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6G d6W d6W d8G could work well, giving it quite a lot of power, which increases after it's hit and loses the d6B . I tried to make these abilities so they have varying strategic potential, without the things that the RA rulebook warns against, such as elemental damage. The idea behind things like Lightweight Armor and Armored were that weight and speed have a direct correlation, and Unaware will make snipers more fragile while also being more powerful.

Let me know your opinions, as well as any more Ability suggestions, and I look forward to seeing some Operators in play! I might start a specific thread for Operator frames, if this gets enough positive feedback.
As of August 30, 2019, I have 13 frames photographed that I haven't put here yet. They, as well as all my photographs, can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f1dlHOhWX4s6nfTW1FWh4Uqhoc6usAIG
Trokodile
Talkative

Re: Operators

Postby Blorf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Changing a white into a single color d6 is a step backwards in almost all cases, isn't it? Or am I missing something?
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Blorf wrote:Changing a white into a single color d6 is a step backwards in almost all cases, isn't it? Or am I missing something?

Well, it sounded like a good idea at the time, but thank you for pointing that out. I'll have to do some rebalancing. I'll change it to two each, so that while it is a specific system type, it also gets a boost.
Thanks for commenting on this, I didn't think of that myself.
As of August 30, 2019, I have 13 frames photographed that I haven't put here yet. They, as well as all my photographs, can be found at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f1dlHOhWX4s6nfTW1FWh4Uqhoc6usAIG
Trokodile
Talkative

Postby Mantisking » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:11 pm

There are a lot of Pilot based rule mods over at Dices Are Not for Eating. They make for interesting reading.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Trokodile » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Thanks for linking to that, I got some new ideas from it that I'll make sure to add.
Trokodile
Talkative

Return to Fan Created Rules