System Stations - Optional Rule for functional objectives

Post and discuss your custom / house rules for the MFZ: Rapid Attack.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this.

System Stations - Optional Rule for functional objectives

Postby Karoline Dianne » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:56 pm

I've been talking with the small group I've been playing with, and it's fairly unanimous that there's a desire for Stations to actually do something. In an effort to write something down for future testing, I've cobbled together what I think is a set of fairly reasonable and simple rules.

System Stations

If all players agree, a number of Stations may be nominated to be System Stations. System Stations operate exactly like normal Stations, only they have the added tactical benefit of being able to act in a capacity similar to Mobile Frames, albeit much more limited. System Stations come in one of four varieties, each corresponding to one of the four System types. System Stations never roll d6W , nor do they ever gain a d8G for not having ranged weapons.

d6B Defense Stations may act as cover, unlike other Stations. Treat it like a Mobile Frame with d6B d6B for the purposes of determining damage to the target Frame. These Stations may not be 'activated' and roll no dice of their own.

d6Y Sensor Stations may be activated by their controller as if they were a Mobile Frame with a single d6Y .

d6G Mobile Stations may be activated by their controller as if they were a Mobile Frame with a single d6G . This allows the Station to move, but note that if it ends its movement within HtH range of an enemy Frame and not within HtH range of an allied Frame, it is immediately captured by that enemy. A Mobile Station cannot itself capture other Stations.

d6Rh / d6Rd / d6Ra Weapon Stations may be activated by their controller as if they were a Mobile Frame with a single weapon system at the appropriate range (eg. d6Rd d6Rd for Direct). Note that d6Rh is a risky choice, as without a Frame actively defending it to contest ownership, any enemy Frame will immediately capture it before it has a chance to attack.

If players agree to make use of System Stations in their game, they should decide on a limit to how many may be included in any player's Company. If all available Stations are System Stations, the battle may become much more chaotic and dangerous. A single System Station for each Company should be the default.

Alternatively, in a custom scenario in which neutral Stations are on the map, restricting System Stations to only start as neutral may be an ideal setup. This will provide more tactical benefit to capturing a Station, and allow for more difficult choices when deciding which Stations are of a higher priority to go after.

These rules are highly experimental, so please do offer feedback.
-Sturdy. Robust. Reliable.-
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Re: System Stations - Optional Rule for functional objective

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:36 pm

I actually really like this, simple yet involved!

Mobile stations have been done before so we know it at least doesn't break the game!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Stations already do something; they give you points! You can't get them any other way.

It actually looks like a more balanced rule than many that get posted, but I worry it gives a rolling advantage to a player who begins capturing them. Additional activations are powerful things! I'd stipulate that the mobile station (uh, I guess it's just an "asset" now) has to navigate around cover.

Give it a play and let us know how it goes!
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Omega_Tahu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:45 pm

This looks pretty interesting. However there are a couple things that would worry me, especially when considering that weaponized stations can't be forced to activate earlier. This would mean that the owner of said station would have an d6Ra d6Ra or d6Rd d6Rd to save until the end of the round to use on leftover spots, with no threat of losing the initiative. Otherwise it seems pretty interesting, and worth a shot.
The LF-D5 "Stub" is the top of the line in agriculture frames, designed to haul heavy farm equipment. It is also easy to repair, with standardized connections between all joints. Buy one today.

Also, it's also quite cute on the battlefield....
Omega_Tahu
Talkative

Postby Karoline Dianne » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:42 am

While true they can't be forced to activate since you can't shoot Stations, you CAN run up and grab them before they have a chance to shoot... And now they're yours to shoot with.

Also, given they only get the base colored dice and no white dice to work with, only one System, and no SSRs, I think they're largely toothless except as a last ditch attack against something with low defense or a juicy spot on them. That makes them useful, but only just, and only in the right circumstances.

Of course, playtesting will be needed to figure out how huge the impact actually is.
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby Starflower » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:16 pm

I agree with Blorf on the d6G stations, they shouldn't be able to ignore cover (or frames!) with their move. Otherwise I like the moving station!

Also, I think I'd rather have the weaponized stations only roll 1 die, so they are more hit-or-miss than frames.

d6B is a nice idea, but it might be quite overpowered. A station that also acts as indestructible cover for you? Oh boy.
How about it could give a single blue die to an adjacent frame?
Starflower
Young Gun

Postby Karoline Dianne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm

I considered that at first, but that would be difficult to keep track of, there aren't any existing mechanics for providing defense to other frames other than acting as cover. Hence why I made that decision. Maybe a better change would be to say only a single 'hit' from any given attack can be blocked by the Defense Station?
==== MorningStar ====
Karoline Dianne
Talkative

Postby KungFujiApple » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

VitorFaria wrote:I actually really like this, simple yet involved!

Mobile stations have been done before so we know it at least doesn't break the game!

I agree very great dynamic to the game :)
- I am also on Flickr
KungFujiApple
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Fan Created Rules