newbee question - nexo knights

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

newbee question - nexo knights

Postby Kayje » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi guys,

Like I said in my introduction before, I'm trying to configure my sons nexo knights into MFZ.
So, Am I on the right track with the systems allocation?

I take Axl (in a harnas) as an example :

Defensive system : Armor (obvious :) ) and a shield = 2 blue dice
Movement system : I add the module from clay's falcon on his back = 1green die
Hand-to-hand system : Giant axe = 2 red dice
Direct Fire system : the movement module has a six shooter and 2 rockets = 2 red dice and one 8 sided dice

Only problem, I have added 4 systems, but didn't include the combined power from the 3 nexo shields yet ... :shock:
I think the nexo knights are a little "over-powered", or am I wrong?
Kayje
Newcomer

Re: newbee question - nexo knights

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm

By your count your guy have 6 different systems. A defensive system is one die each, so having two mean two separate ones.

Similarly, one direct fire system is two red d6, you only get the d8 if you add another system of the same type.

Cheat sheet:
Single Systems:
d6G
d6Y
d6B
d6Rd d6Rd
d6Rh d6Rh
d6Ra d6Ra

Double systems (count as two):
d6G d6G
d6Y d6Y
d6B d6B
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd
d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra

Exemples of valid loadouts, capping at 4 total systems:
d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6G d6B d6W d6W
d6Ra d6Ra d8Ra d6B d6B d6W d6W
d6Ra d6Ra d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6Y d6W d6W
d6Rd d6Rd d6Y d6Y d6B d6W d6W

Tip:
Remove all equipment from the nexo guys, leaving only the base mech. Then re-add the stuff you want to use on that specific battle.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Kayje » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification. It seems I mis-understood the "systems count". I thought you have to choose 4 out of the 6 different available systems :?
In short, a fully equiped nexo knight straight out of the box is seriously over-powered :D
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Kayje wrote:Thanks for the clarification. It seems I mis-understood the "systems count". I thought you have to choose 4 out of the 6 different available systems :?
In short, a fully equiped nexo knight straight out of the box is seriously over-powered :D

That's a good thing, it means you get a versatile, variable unit out of a single set! :D
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Kayje » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:08 pm

VitorFaria wrote:That's a good thing, it means you get a versatile, variable unit out of a single set! :D

Lol, and I didn't started on the various power combinations of the shields yet :lol:

Now I'm a little affraid to calculate the systems for the vehicles :lol:
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:04 pm

I was about to ask what is your full intent; if just the Battle Armors or if looking to use the full sets (and most likely play on the floor).
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kayje » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Shades_Corvid wrote:I was about to ask what is your full intent; if just the Battle Armors or if looking to use the full sets (and most likely play on the floor).

I thought starting with the mechs to try it out and after that trying to implement one vehicle on each side. And yes, looking at the size of the vehicles, I think I need a BIGGER tabble :lol:
I think I have to move everything to the clubhouse then for a game :lol:
Are there any rules for moving with vehicles or do they use the same as mechs? I would think vehicles move at least the double compared with mechs ...
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Kayje wrote:Are there any rules for moving with vehicles or do they use the same as mechs? I would think vehicles move at least the double compared with mechs ...

There's no real consensus about it. I personally like the "if it moves it's a frame and plays the same" mentality, just to keep it simple, but others prefer making house rules for vehicles.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:56 pm

VitorFaria wrote:
Kayje wrote:Are there any rules for moving with vehicles or do they use the same as mechs? I would think vehicles move at least the double compared with mechs ...

There's no real consensus about it. I personally like the "if it moves it's a frame and plays the same" mentality, just to keep it simple, but others prefer making house rules for vehicles.

As far as consensus, the rules are clear. There's only one type of unit (the frame). Some players create and use things that don't resemble robots, but the game doesn't consider them any differently.

There's been some attempts to add vehicles and other things as separate unit types, and some are probably successful—but it's all within house-rule territory.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 pm

In Standard MF0 we have presume size limit for frames (and scale but not talking about that here) which the Nexo Knights Battle Suits sort of exceed but don't (that is a future blog post) but certainly all there vehicles do.

And as it has been said the rules just presume EVERYTHING is a frame or at least treated as such.

There might be better systems (Brick Wars?) that might ingrate better.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, you might simply try using the 'If Table is Bigger' unit/ruler if you are going to use the Nexo Knight vehicles with Battle Suits.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:In Standard MF0 we have presume size limit for frames (and scale but not talking about that here) which the Nexo Knights Battle Suits sort of exceed but don't (that is a future blog post) but certainly all there vehicles do.

And as it has been said the rules just presume EVERYTHING is a frame or at least treated as such.

There might be better systems (Brick Wars?) that might ingrate better.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, you might simply try using the 'If Table is Bigger' unit/ruler if you are going to use the Nexo Knight vehicles with Battle Suits.

Thanks for the reply
Allready looked at Brickwars, but I find it to complicated to play it with my kids. Maybe somewhere in the future. My youngest is only 5, so to rules have to be easy, just "moving and rolling the dice". Allready made the decission to leave the vehicles out. Like said before, they exceed the point limit to far.
And who knows, maybe I'll make some houserules to implement them ... somewehere in the future ... when I find some sparetime ;)
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 am

Just to be sure, are these combo's correct?
These are the frames / battlesuits, straight out of the box, without any modifications like i.e. the flightsuit that comes with Clay's Falcon

Burnzie : d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6W d6W
Grimrock : d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6G d6W d6W
Axl : d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W
Macy : d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W
Aaron : d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d6W d6W

Flightsuit which can be added at a knight :
two single shot rockets : d8Rr d8Rr
six shooter (counting as a single shot rocket) : d8Rr
wings : d6G

But when I read the rules, those single shot rockets can be added on top of a frame. I only have to drop the wings then because that would give an extra 5th system. Correct?
so i.e. a modified Axl will have : d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd d6Rd d6B d6B d6W d6W + d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr (not counting the wings)
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 am

You are a lot nicer handed out systems then me. IE

Aaron's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Crossbow d6Rd d6Rd
Shield Extension d6B
Shield d6B

Macy's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Shield d6B
Mace d6Rh d6Rh or maybe d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh because you can pop the Trans Red/Orange part off I think.
-No Ranged Systems d8G
Lance's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Lance d6Rh d6Rh
Skates d6G
Shield d6B
-No Ranged Systems d8G

That's just my interpretation examples.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:13 am

Shades_Corvid wrote:You are a lot nicer handed out systems then me. IE

Aaron's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Crossbow d6Rd d6Rd
Shield Extension d6B
Shield d6B

Macy's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Shield d6B
Mace d6Rh d6Rh or maybe d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh because you can pop the Trans Red/Orange part off I think.
-No Ranged Systems d8G

Lance's Battle Suit

Battle Suit d6W d6W
Lance d6Rh d6Rh
Skates d6G
Shield d6B
-No Ranged Systems d8G

That's just my interpretation examples.

Nice, so it seems I'm on the right track with the combo's. I only used the shields besides as defense, also as "beam-weapons", so + d6Rd d6Rd and in the case of Aaron + d8Rd . In this way I "cover" the shield powers without going to specific for the more then 300 different powers and combinations ;)
I keep the "red shiny thing" on macy's mace, because I see it as one part.

I noticed that you use the white dices for the battle suit. I thought that they didn't count as a system, but that they are wild. So if this is correct, then you can ad an extra d6B to your frames for armor.

i.e. Macy (if I'm correct ;) ):
Mace: d6Rh d6Rh
Beam from shieldpowers : d6Rd d6Rd
Armor : d6B
Shield : d6B
Wild dices : d6W d6W

My son doesn't have Lance and Clay yet. He will receive them with easter :P
Last edited by Kayje on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:23 am

I think you could interpret the helmet visors as a d6Y

So you have an option of a spotting system out of the box.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 am

VitorFaria wrote:I think you could interpret the helmet visors as a d6Y

So you have an option of a spotting system out of the box.

Yep, but htem I have more then 4 systems :(
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:39 am

Btw, I was looking into the Nexo vehicles, and I think the "over-power" will not be that bad at all.

Axl's Tower Carrier are in fact two vehicles.
The carrier has one ranged weapon : d6Rd d6Rd
The tower has two : d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd

Clays Falcon Fighter Blaster are in fact also two fighters.
The big one has two six shooters, which you could use as two single shots d8Rr d8Rr or as two railguns d6Rd d6Rd + d8Rd
The small one which can be detached from the back, has two rockets and a six shooter d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr or d8Rr d8Rr + d6Rd d6Rd
Eitherway, you never have more then 3systems on the complete fighter (3 railguns and 2 single shot rockets who doesn't count for the systems)
The small one is the ne you could attache to the battlesuits, and then you could use him for the three d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr , dropping the wings d6G

And because vehicles don't move that much once in batlle, I think it will be doable, maybe even with a there movement value doubled :P
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:05 am

That's a lot of things you're suggesting as d8Rr . They're all fine, but keep in mind that your entire company only has 3 SSRs. You can put them all on one unit if you want, but then none of your other units are allowed to carry any.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Kayje » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 am

Blorf wrote:That's a lot of things you're suggesting as d8Rr . They're all fine, but keep in mind that your entire company only has 3 SSRs. You can put them all on one unit if you want, but then none of your other units are allowed to carry any.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm thinking to let the little one fly on its own, piloted by one of the bots, athough a modified nexo would look nice :P :P :P
And yes, I'm not a fan to put everything on one module, but heck, where's the fun if you don't take any risk :lol:

So, my config on the vehicles would be:

Tower Carrier :
Catapult in carrier d6Rd d6Rd + comm d6Y + armor d6B + wheels d6G
Tower (2 ranged) d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd + comm d6Y + wheels d6G

Falcon Fighter Blaster:
Two railguns on the big fighter d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd + comm d6Y + wings d6G
Two SSR's + 1 railgun on the little one d8Rr d8Rr d6Rd d6Rd + comm d6Y + wings d6G
With this config I can easily see, what's what and then there's no confusion on the used weapons ;)
Kayje
Newcomer

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 am

Vitor's suggestion of using Visors as d6Y is great!

d6W d6W Is your frame's raw abilities and your pilot's skill. With no other systems a d6W can be used to defend, move but not through cover, attack in hand to hand range or spot within 8 units a frame out of cover.

Standard rules is you have to be able to see the system and take it off when you use it.

I still suggest using the bigger unit measure size if you are going to include vehicles and if you double their movement value perhaps have them use the movement rules from Intercept Orbit or similar.

Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Next

Return to Rapid Attack