Split Systems Question

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Split Systems Question

Postby EdFadigan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:54 am

I'm going to introduce Split Systems to my Players this weekend, and have a question about the dice pool.

Let's say I design a Frame with an HellStorm-Split Direct-Fire/Artillery System, which includes an additional Two System Gatling Gun, which rolls 2d6+1d8 at Direct-Fire range only.

Do I add the 1d6 for the Split system, and roll 3d6+d8 when firing at DF range? And if I have an SSR on the Frame, can I (one-time) roll 3d6+2d8 for an attack at DF?

And ... would this be the proper notation for it?

HellStorm Missles
d6Rd / d6Ra

Dual Gatlings
d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd

SSR
d8Rr
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Re: Split Systems Question

Postby Shades_Corvid » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:01 am

You are fine on your notation and you are right on the use of the SSR. There was talk about split sys w/ regular with comments from Joshua bit I don't remember. Hopefully someone else does or you can try searching for it.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mantisking » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:27 am

Except you already have two weapons at a single range so the split Direct Fire/Artillery attachment isn't legal. The best you can do is 3d6 at any one range so a d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra weapon or d6Rh d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd weapon or any other wacky combination you can make work.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby EdFadigan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 am

Mantisking wrote:Except you already have two weapons at a single range so the split Direct Fire/Artillery attachment isn't legal. The best you can do is 3d6 at any one range so a d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Ra weapon or d6Rh d6Rh d6Rh d6Rd weapon or any other wacky combination you can make work.

I knew there was something I was missing. Thanks.
EdFadigan
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Split systems count as 0.5 of each system. You cannot have more than 2 systems at any range, but all of the following are legal:

2 dedicated systems: 2 Direct Fire systems = d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd
1 dedicated and 1 split: 1.5 Direct Fire systems, 0.5 Arty systems = d6Rd d6Rd / d6Rd d6Ra
1 dedicated and 2 split: 2 (1+0.5+0.5) Direct Fire systems + 1 (0.5+0.5) Arty system = d6Rd d6Rd + d6Rd / d6Ra + d6Rd / d6Rh
4 split systems: 2 (0.5×4) Direct Fire systems + 2 (0.5×4) Arty systems: d6Rd / d6Ra + d6Rd / d6Ra + d6Rd / d6Ra + d6Rd / d6Ra

- You only get the d8 with two complete systems dedicated to a range.
- 4d6 is possible and legal in some of these configurations.
- Statistically, 2d6+d8 is better than 3d6.
- Statistically, it's arguable that 2d6+d8 is still better than 4d6. (http://anydice.com/program/8967)
- If you dedicate enough systems to get to 4d6, your frame will be very weak in other areas such as defense, movement, and spotting. It's generally a bad idea.

Theoretically, you could use an above 4d6 frame configuration to do a one-time roll of d6W d6W d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d6Rd d8Rr d8Rr d8Rr . You'd probably do very well on that roll, but it still won't be more than 8—and an 8 is possible every turn with a d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd frame.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Return to Rapid Attack