Vanilla Company Ideas

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Vanilla Company Ideas

Postby Grass4hopper » Fri May 27, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm building 3 companies, so that I can play with my friends who aren't into MFZ (yet). I've already decided to have six frames for each company. I'm looking for suggestions on what systems a company should have (All three companies will be clone to start with).

I know that the rule book suggests 3 Soldier Frames. And I really like the idea of a double melee scout. But I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Re: Vanilla Company Ideas

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Throw some d6Ra d6Ra d6Y d6Y d6B for artillery, good and old delegators. They're fairly safe and easy to use, and may introduce your friends to the double yellow special rule.

As far HtH goes, it's fairly easy to get a safe and standard loadout since they get the d8G . I would recommend d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B d8G or maybe some d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d8G so you get all collors.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby David Artman » Fri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

VitorFaria wrote:...or maybe some d6Rh d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B d8G so you get all collors.

How do you get five systems? (Maybe I need to read the rules for changes since Mechaton! :) )

The d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh d6B d6B is legit because the d8Rh is "free" with d6Rh d6Rh .

NOTE: I'd be more-inclined to show automatic d8s like this, to be totally clear:
  • d6Rh d6Rh ( d8Rh ) d6B d6B ( d8G ) d6W d6W
  • d6Rh d6Y d6B d6B ( d8G ) d6W d6W

I do not see how you can get d6Rh d6Rh (quoted in this post) without also getting d8Rh automatically, nor do I see how you can continue to add the three more systems d6Y d6B d6B .

Sorry if I'm just not knowing a significant rule change.
David Artman
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 pm

d8G is free, if you have no ranged weapons. d6Rh d6Rh is a single HtH system, a double would be d6Rh d6Rh d8Rh .

So my sugestion is ( d6Rh d6Rh )( d6Y )( d6B )( d6B ) d8G .

I'm omitting the d6W d6W here, of course.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby spacemonkey » Fri May 27, 2016 3:58 pm

David Artman wrote:I do not see how you can get d6Rh d6Rh (quoted in this post) without also getting d8Rh automatically, nor do I see how you can continue to add the three more systems d6Y d6B d6B .
The icons are representatives of dice not systems. The first red system gives 2 red d6 and the second red system of the same type gives the red d8 (see pg. 68 of the rulebook); so showing " d6Rh d6Rh " is a proper representation of one Hth system.
spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Fri May 27, 2016 5:00 pm

Sometimes I like to field a d6Rd d6Rd d8Rd d6B d6G to back up my soldiers. It follows a bit behind and acts as a harder-hitting "cleanup crew" after the spot chain the Soldiers have been running, but is still fairly versatile if things don't go to plan.

Vitor's other choices would work well. I find Delegators are most effective in pairs, but all together you're exposing players to almost all of the rules this way. They can choose later to build something around a given strategy like that.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Mon May 30, 2016 11:48 am

Good luck getting your friends into the game!

However-
Grass4hopper wrote: (All three companies will be clone to start with.)
I recommend against this, the game is designed for the forces to be unbalanced, both set up (deployment), PPA, and initiative (determined by score) reflect this. The Primary Defender is supposed to be "underpowered" and thus gets a point bonus and more control of set up. While the Attackers are more powerful, and as a result pay a penalty in PPA and have less control over deployment.

Depending on your groups experience with wargaming, you might want to try Lumpley's Demo Rules for a first game. If I were going to make 3 forces designed to be used more than once to play each other, I would probably have them something like this:

Defender- 4 Frames, all have full systems (16) PPA=7. Starting score with 2 stations is 42
x1 Soldier
x2 Delegator
x1 Charger: d6Rh d6Rh , d6Rd d6Rd , d6G , d6B

Secondary Attacker- 5 Frames, 2 have full systems, 3 have 3 systems (17) PPA=5. Starting score with 2 stations is 35
x2 Soldier
x2 Mini-Soldier: d6Rh d6Rh , d6Y , d6B , (free) d8G
x1 Armored Spotter

Primary Attacker- 5 Frames, all have full systems (20) PPA=3. Starting score with 2 stations is 21
x2 Soldier
x2 Brawler
x1 Commander: Split d6Rd / d6Ra , d6Y , d6Y , d6G

As you can see, the Defender starts with twice the starting score of the Primary Attacker, suddenly being a frame down doesn't look so bad! Also the Secondary Attacker has a distinct points advantage over the Primary Attacker, showing the advantages of "underbidding". Yes, the Defender has everyone gunning for them- they must be cunning and get the others to fight each other. And yes the Attacker has a steep uphill climb- they must be aggressive! After the first game, have eveyone play a different force so they can see how the different deployments work. If the Secondary Attacker is winning too much, you could knock them down to 5 Frames, 1 fully loaded, 4 with 3 systems.

Both VictorFaria and Blorf are right on about loadouts. I recommend giving Blorf's Commander's Handbook a look.

Some thoughts on loadouts-

The Soldier: d6Rd d6Rd , d6Y , d6G , d6B , is very versatile and more powerfull than it appears, being able to use 3d6 for whatever action you deem most important that turn (useing white dice).

The Delegator: d6Ra d6Ra , d6Y , d6Y , d6B , affects the flow of the battle by forcing enemy frames to activate, and laying big, juicy spots to encourage damage where you want it.

The Brawler: d6Rh d6Rh , d8Rh , d6B , d6B , (free) d8G , is in my opinion one of the best loadouts of the game. The d8Rh terrifies opponents, the double blue protects the frame and it's close support, while it gets to use the free d8G effectively giving it 5 systems!

The Armored Spotter: d6Y , d6Y , d6B , d8G , is unnasuming and often ignored, but the double yellow effect can't be! High spots are what ultimately cause the most damage through the game. Meanwhile it has the d6B to discourage attacks and gets to use the free d8G , making it as well equipped as many 4 system frames.

So obviously these are just my opinions and suggestions, feel free to ignore/change any and all of em.

Hope this helps!
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Grass4hopper » Mon May 30, 2016 11:25 pm

I appreciate all you guys advice. I tell you how it works out.
gusindor wrote:If you're on a planet that's home to huge amounts of small friendly energetic creatures, you might use hamster wheels.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Tue May 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Hackjob wrote:However-
Grass4hopper wrote: (All three companies will be clone to start with.)
I recommend against this, the game is designed for the forces to be unbalanced, both set up (deployment), PPA, and initiative (determined by score) reflect this. The Primary Defender is supposed to be "underpowered" and thus gets a point bonus and more control of set up. While the Attackers are more powerful, and as a result pay a penalty in PPA and have less control over deployment.

Yes, definitely. I guess I may have assumed you meant that everyone got these frames with which to select their forces from. But Hackjob is totally correct; the game really should be asymmetrical. Don't let the use of the term "unbalanced" set you off; the game really is best that way.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Grass4hopper » Tue May 31, 2016 1:24 pm

I'm definitely glad that I asked you guys, because that completely changes my plans. If you can't tell I've never had the chance to actually play yet, so my strategy for builds isn't very good.
Grass4hopper
Been Around The Block

Return to Rapid Attack