Are Ball Joints Allowed in Game?

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Are Ball Joints Allowed in Game?

Postby Artasid » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:00 pm

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I had to ask. Let me give you the story why I feel the need to ask:

Earlier this week I attended my first MFZ demo at the local hobby shop. The store manager 'John' was hosting and even brought a suitcase full of preassembled companies of frames, including a full company of Super Chubs, (Yes, I was jealous) that the new players may use for the demo.
After we had started, some more players arrived and they had their own premade frames. One of them, 'Bob', was using frames with mixel ball joints but when John noticed this he said that "Ball joints are prohibited to use in game because they cause frames to be over the building scale" or something to that effect. Needless to say, a small argument broke out and when it was finished, we continued with the demo.

But it got me thinking, I have seen online numerous frames built by other players that uses the mixel ball joints. And I've even read through the rulebook to find any limitations of what bricks are allowed and which are not, and I have been unabel to find such a rule. And if this rule does exist, then its a bummer to me bacause 80% of my LEGO collection is from Mixel sets.

So I ask you, (Who are more likely more experienced that I am) Are Ball joints allowed?
I thank you in advance for any and all replies.

P.S. By the way, just so it's clear to me, what is the offical scale a frame should be? I've been unable to find a decisive measurement. Again, thank you in advance.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Re: Are Ball Joints Allowed in Game?

Postby Mantisking » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:29 pm

Artasid wrote:
Earlier this week I attended my first MFZ demo at the local hobby shop. The store manager 'John' was hosting and even brought a suitcase full of preassembled companies of frames, including a full company of Super Chubs, (Yes, I was jealous) that the new players may use for the demo.
After we had started, some more players arrived and they had their own premade frames. One of them, 'Bob', was using frames with mixel ball joints but when John noticed this he said that "Ball joints are prohibited to use in game because they cause frames to be over the building scale" or something to that effect. Needless to say, a small argument broke out and when it was finished, we continued with the demo.

But it got me thinking, I have seen online numerous frames built by other players that uses the mixel ball joints. And I've even read through the rulebook to find any limitations of what bricks are allowed and which are not, and I have been unabel to find such a rule. And if this rule does exist, then its a bummer to me bacause 80% of my LEGO collection is from Mixel sets.

So I ask you, (Who are more likely more experienced that I am) Are Ball joints allowed?
I thank you in advance for any and all replies.

You can use whatever pieces you like when building. There are no banned parts. Just because this guy isn't a good enough builder to use Mixel Joints in the stuff he builds and keep it to a reasonable size doesn't mean other people can't use them. Besides, he was using Super Chubs and complaining about size creep? Hypocrite.

Artasid wrote:P.S. By the way, just so it's clear to me, what is the offical scale a frame should be? I've been unable to find a decisive measurement. Again, thank you in advance.

There is no official scale. Whatever the players agree to before building Frames for the game is the "official" scale. Most people use a sizing box 10 studs long by 10 studs wide by 12 bricks high and anything that fits inside is a fair build.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:43 pm

As Mantisking mentioned above, no parts, building sets, or models of any kind are banned under any official capacity, however, if a TO has stated and the players have agreed upon a scale to play- of which 7p and 4p may be the most common- it should be respected if possible. I'll agree, the guy sounds like he's full of it, though. Mixels are a god-send for growing builders such as myself, but for example; we've seen 14p minifig-scale frames, and folks printing out papercraft frames where lego are difficult to amass. This game's strength is it's creative freedom, and the TO you mentioned seems to have forgotten that.
CmdrRook
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:26 am

Thank you both so much. I am glad that there is no limitation except what we the players set ourselves. This opens up more possibilities. Thank you for clarifying this.
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 am

I,ve build frames with Mixels ball joints that turned out shorter than a Chub or even a Conscript.

Heck, some frames with big old CCBS ball joints can still fit in scale if you try.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Soren » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:15 pm

He's full of it (overflowing, even, like a backed-up toilet). If Mixels ball joints had existed at the time, I would have used them in the core game's default frames. You can tell him I said so.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Artasid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Soren wrote:He's full of it (overflowing, even, like a backed-up toilet). If Mixels ball joints had existed at the time, I would have used them in the core game's default frames. You can tell him I said so.

lol, I agree, and from what I've witnessed, combine with what I've been told since then, I am under the impression that John simply has some personal grudge against ball joints. I can't really confirm that, but it would stand to reason why John was so insistant about banning them.
Of course since that day, I have yet to play any MFZ at the shop and am content to play at some friends houses to avoid any confrontations.
But I will pass on your reply Soren. Thank you.
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby Xero010 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 pm

The idea of "banning" a Lego piece from a Lego game strikes me as a very backwards notion. Mixels in general are just super convenient for joints. Hopefully in the future it won't be an issue, as a lot of new players could make use of them.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Strike Fast. Strike Hard. Strike without Mercy.
HexTech Corp by Xero908, on Flickr
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soren » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:30 pm

If he's concerned about frames taking too long to pose, you can always stick them on a base for convenience. Any old 4x4 plate will work fine, and you can pop them off for photo ops if you think they're unsightly.
I worked on the setting and mecha design, but my opinions are personal. I am not the fun police.
See more stuff I've made: The Mobile Frame Errata|Flickr Gallery
"People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations."
Soren

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Soren wrote:... I would have used them in the core game's default frames. You can tell him I said so.

Are you teasing us, Soren? Are you going to post a bunch of new frames with ball joints soon? ;)
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby gusindor » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:26 am

It's especially silly of him to say ball joints "cause frames to be over the building scale." The only way for something to be out of scale is if it's significantly bigger (or smaller) than whatever size the group agrees to build towards. Parts have nothing to do with it.

However, it is true that some builders (myself included) have trouble using ball joints without the build turning out bigger than we intended. I suspect that's what he has against them, but banning them is not a constructive way to deal with that.
Always bring a speech to a gunfight.
gusindor

Postby Atavism » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:56 am

Ball joints are like cheating they're so good. I would suggest just building a box to prove your frames are to scale, but yeah you're probably better off just playing without him. Maybe I judge him unfairly, but if he's gonna be like that about it then he probably knows a lot of other rules that don't exist, or will be a very ungenerous and lawyerly player. It's a friendly game, who even cares about scale as long as it's close enough?
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Luke_BMM » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 pm

It's a bit sad to hear this sort of thing, as there's an implied but unspoken theme of non-nitpicking built into the game itself.

Should you choose to play with this player again (and personally, I wouldn't blame you if you decided not to do so), I'd recommend taking in a company of binder clip frames, just for the fun of watching Bob's head explode.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Luke_BMM wrote:It's a bit sad to hear this sort of thing, as there's an implied but unspoken theme of non-nitpicking built into the game itself.

Should you choose to play with this player again (and personally, I wouldn't blame you if you decided not to do so), I'd recommend taking in a company of binder clip frames, just for the fun of watching Bob's head explode.

THOSE ARE *%$#^ SWEET!! And Funny as heck. Not sure how well they do, but OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby Luke_BMM » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Here's another frame you could bring if you want to mess with him further:

BALL JOINT ALL THE THINGS!
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Man, I'm literally laughing out loud here! :lol:
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:20 am

Luke_BMM wrote:Here's another frame you could bring if you want to mess with him further:

BALL JOINT ALL THE THINGS!

I LIKE IT!!! It's looks super poseable and with all my Mixel sets, I'm sure I'll be able to recreate it at least 3-4 times. Thank you for sharing this Luke_BMM. :lol:
Artasid
Been Around The Block

Postby DRevD » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Soren wrote:He's full of it (overflowing, even, like a backed-up toilet). If Mixels ball joints had existed at the time, I would have used them in the core game's default frames. You can tell him I said so.

You should make a default equivalent frame with those parts for sh!ts and giggles.
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Return to Rapid Attack