hex

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

hex

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:27 pm

What would you suggest as the dimensions of a hex map? 17 hexes a side makes it, I believe, 32 hexes side to side which would be 4 times 8.

I was playing around with Heroscape tiles yesterday and I had enough for half a hex at those dimensions. :(
kc2dpt
Chatty

Re: hex

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 pm

kc2dpt wrote:What would you suggest as the dimensions of a hex map? 17 hexes a side makes it, I believe, 32 hexes side to side which would be 4 times 8.

I was playing around with Heroscape tiles yesterday and I had enough for half a hex at those dimensions. :(

Depending on the scale you're using, a hex-map might not be the best option. I've used heroscape hexes for a variety of game before, and unless you're playing MF0 at 4p, they're just going to be too small to fit a frame onto. That said, I think a hex map may be a simple way to introduce this game to a crowd who finds manipulating a ruler and the ambiguous situations it generates less fun. One question: when measuring ranges and movement, do you measure the hexes in between frames, or do you measure from the hex your frame occupies to the hex you're interacting with? If the former, a melee attacker could attack across a gap of 1 hex, where as the latter requires them to be adjacent. Would you be using buidlings and terrain features as cover, or elevation stacks of hexes? How do you determine damage applied to cover?

Though I've wandered a bit, I believe I can answer your question. In the book, the battlefield is between 4-6 ruler lengths wide, or between 32-48 segments. If a hex = 1 segment, you're right on the money for the small end of average for a battlefield, a good size for 2-3 players. Check Amazon or eBay if you need more hexes to flesh out the area of the battlefield, and consider what you'll need for cover.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Rapid Attack