MFZ:Condensed - A 20 pages rules summary for MFZ:RA

Any rules question for MFZ: Rapid Attack should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

MFZ:Condensed - A 20 pages rules summary for MFZ:RA

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Dear Mofos,

Ever since my return, I realised, as I tried to get other people interested in MFZ:RA, that there is a slight issue with the Core Rulebook. Due to design decisions, the rules were littered across the book, in jumbled composition, and due to that in turn, many things were said twice or thrice, because the rules are not sequenced. Additionally, the fluff of the book is injected here and there, seperating the actual rules further from each other, making it harder to quickly browse for information or confirm a rule.

With that observed, I took the Core Rulebook PDF, cut out the 59 pages of actual rules from the book , and siced a bunch of helpful souls on it. A day later, we had the 59 pages transscribed (because, for whatever reason the design chose did not allow for a clean text export - so we had to type it all off the PDF manually). After that, I started cleaning up the segments and ran them by Soren, Mantisking, Flakmaniak in the IRC and the helpful souls of 4chan's /tg/ (Traditional Games) board. After we got the 59 pages condensed, proofread and confirmed for accuracy, I set out to consolidate all the rules, bring them into a concise and sequenced format and wrap it all into a PDF, with 20 pages of rules after all the trimming. It also contains known errata.

Without further ado,

MFZ:Condensed, revision 0.94 (date: 05-31-2014)

ToDo: Add the demo rules, finish the credits and add the creative commons license, add images, make an actual cover and back page, prettify the pages, make US Letter version.
Last edited by Ced23Ric on Sat May 31, 2014 10:24 am, edited 8 times in total.
Image Vesopia - An Ijad-controlled system, where SU and FC are still fighting.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: MFZ:COre - a crunchy core rules redo for Mobile Frame Ze

Postby Batzorig » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Hmm. I like the idea of the condensed rules, but calling it a rules 'redo' makes me think it's all new rules.

Couple things so far (only just started reading).

1) You suggest a table 24-36 units diagonal, while the MFZ books suggests 32-48 units diagonal.
2) You list SSR as artillery range (8+) when they should be direct fire range (2-8)

It's a cool idea for quick reference though. Thanks for putting in the work!
Batzorig
Chatty

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Batzorig wrote:Hmm. I like the idea of the condensed rules, but calling it a rules 'redo' makes me think it's all new rules.

1) You suggest a table 24-36 units diagonal, while the MFZ books suggests 32-48 units diagonal.
2) You list SSR as artillery range (8+) when they should be direct fire range (2-8)

Changed thread title to "rewrite".
1.) Conversion error on my part, amended.
The game area should measure between 36 and 48 ruler units diagonally and cir­cular; or square. 36 units is the equival­ent to about 45"/115cm. 48 units is the equivalent to about 60"/150cm.

2.) Ha, classical copy & paste mistake.

The document is not "done", just in a state where it was complete enough to be released. There is several typos in there, I am sure. Right now, the goal is to weed those out and make it all correct.
"The moon will guide you on your path when the sun long has set." - Trinity Of-The-Many.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: MFZ:COre - a crunchy core rules rewrite for Mobile Frame

Postby CalaveraJoe » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Good stuff here. I love the Mf0 book, but yeah, showing it to folks who haven't been around the forums and all, they go a little cross-eyed with stuff sorted out how it is. A condensed ruleset like this would definitely help.
CalaveraJoe
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:05 pm

CalaveraJoe wrote:I love the Mf0 book, but yeah, showing it to folks who haven't been around the forums and all, they go a little cross-eyed with stuff sorted out how it is.

It is a book that looks good, without a doubt. I like many of the design elements that came together there. It's just not a book that is very accessible or "quick", for a lack of a better term. MFZ:COre aims to fix this, by providing a condensed, crunch-only resource. The language is also changed in wide parts. Instead of the friendly speech used in the MFZ Rulebook, COre uses the more clinical language wargamers are used to. This was done both to condense the text and to make transitions from other wargames easier.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Ced, my blog is the Mobile Frame Garage. "No BS, Just ABS" is Zeekhotep.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Mantisking wrote:Ced, my blog is the Mobile Frame Garage. "No BS, Just ABS" is Zeekhotep.

Amended! My bad.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:11 am

Added a new page, "Quick deployment overview".

Uses this text:
Quick deployment overview.

• Defender places all stations, must be within 8 units of at least one other station to establish perimeter.
• Defender places 2 frames inside of the defensive perimeter (8 units around each station).
• Point Attacker places Point Mobile Frame within 8 units of at least one Defender frame, out of cover.
• Attackers place all frames, alternating by score, outside the defensive perimeter.
• Attackers place all stations, alternating by score, outside the defensive perimeter.
• Defender places remaining frames. If outside of defensive perimeter, must be in cover.

And this graphic:
http://www.ced23ric.de/stuff/mf0/deployment_compressed.jpg
(Over 2000px in width, not embedding it.)
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Blorf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Love this idea, for exactly the reasons you state and also the full PDF takes ages to load on my phone and even longer if you want to use the search function. This one loads much faster! Perfect for a quick but accurate reference.

Please continue to keep load times in mind when adding artwork, and anything that makes it more readable on a small screen is fantastic.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 am

Updated to the most current version.

Couple of changes, including less ambiguous versions of doomsday clock, cover and station rules, added a temporary company overview sheet, the license in full and updated credits.

Getting close to release state. When MFZ:COre is finished, there will be two versions, hi-fidelty and low-fidelity. HiFi will have high resolution (600dpi), design elements and images. LoFi will have low resolution (200dpi) and no design elements and "unnecessary images".
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Odie » Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 am

Batzorig wrote:Hmm. I like the idea of the condensed rules, but calling it a rules 'redo' makes me think it's all new rules.

Yeah, not to nitpick, but even "rewrite" makes me think you're revising or changing the rules, when as far as I can tell you're just providing a condensed summary.
Odie
Newcomer

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu May 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Odie wrote:Yeah, not to nitpick, but even "rewrite" makes me think you're revising or changing the rules, when as far as I can tell you're just providing a condensed summary.

Might be getting into nitpick territory.

According to Miriam-Webster, rewrite is defined as follows:

1: to write in reply
2: to make a revision of (as a story): cause to be revised: as
- a : to put (contributed material) into form for publication
- b : to alter (previously published material) for use in another publication

intransitive verb
: to revise something previously written

Examples of REWRITE
- The teacher asked him to rewrite the essay.
- I had to rewrite the computer program.

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rewrite

I firmly believe I altered previously published material to use it in another publication. As an aside, because it seems that "revision" or "revise" is understood as "changing":

1 a : to look over again in order to correct or improve <revise a manuscript>
1 b British : to study again : review
2 a : to make a new, amended, improved, or up-to-date version of <revise a dictionary>

intransitive verb
British : review 1

Examples of REVISE
- We have to revise our plans because of the delays.
- I would like to revise my estimate.

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revise

From the French "reviser", which means, literally, "to look at [something] again"
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Mantisking » Thu May 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Odie wrote:Yeah, not to nitpick, but even "rewrite" makes me think you're revising or changing the rules, when as far as I can tell you're just providing a condensed summary.
Ced23Ric wrote:Might be getting into nitpick territory.

Yes, yes you are.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Far as I understand it, you're writing a condensed version of the rules for a wargame audience. Why not just say that?
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Odie » Thu May 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Far as I understand it, you're writing a condensed version of the rules for a wargame audience. Why not just say that?

Yeah, basically. ;)

I'm not trying to be a nitpicking jerk, honest - but I ignored this thread for quite a while because I read "a crunchy core rules rewrite" as "a rewrite of the core MF0 rules to make them crunchier" (i.e. house rules) and I had no use for that. Turns out this is a thing I very much have a use for, as a play aid/summary, and I just didn't know it! So...there's that, for a data point.
Odie
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 pm

I don't think it's nitpicking at all. Despite dictionary definitions, "Rewrite" connotes change in the same way two movies of the same title released in different years may tell a similar story but with a very different interpretation of how its presented. (Compare "Ocean's 11" shot in 2011 and 1960, for example.)

"Rules Summary" or "MFZ:RA Condensed" would have avoided the confusion I and others had.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Ced23Ric » Thu May 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Odie wrote:... as far as I can tell you're just providing a condensed summary.
Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:Far as I understand it, you're writing a condensed version of the rules for a wargame audience. Why not just say that?
Blorf wrote:"Rules Summary" or "MFZ:RA Condensed" would have avoided the confusion I and others had.

Renamed the PDF, changed the file name, made a pass to replace all player & frame-related pronouns to gender-neutral versions and will heceforth refer to this project as a rules summary. Thanks for the feedback.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Re: MFZ:Condensed - A 20 pages rules summary for MFZ:RA

Postby Cake » Fri May 02, 2014 6:29 am

First post on the forum, so hopefully you don't begrudge this, Ced23Ric:

I've had a read through the condensed rules you've posted (great job by the way, it'll be really helpful when playing), and noticed this typo (no idea if anyone else has flagged it) on page 14 of revision 0.8 (bold emphasis is mine, formatting otherwise as in the rules):

Attackers' stations.
Once all attacking frames are on the
field, attackers alternate again, placing
stations. On each of turn, place one sta-
tion, wherever you like.

Should that read "On each Attacker's turn", or something else, instead?

Also: Hi Everybody!
Rooftop Racing Rules (Version 0.4.0) Version 0.5.0 coming soon, with some big changes.

CK Industries
CK-01 Hephaestus
CK-02 Artemis
Prototype Frames
CK-06 Aries
Cake
Talkative

Postby Ced23Ric » Fri May 02, 2014 7:25 am

Cake wrote:First post on the forum, so hopefully you don't begrudge this [...]

Not at all, Cake. You are helping making a document better that is intended to help all of us, and, especially new players. I'll edit the typo when I get back to it - probably revision 0.9 this weekend. You're an asset, not an issue. Thanks for taking the time to comment and helping with the proofreading. I admit that after several hours poring over the same text, one becomes increasingly blind to typos and/or omitted words.

PS: I just got word from the guy doing the cover image, ETA of a sketch is 6 days. I'm pumped!
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Postby Ced23Ric » Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 am

Revision 0.9 is uploaded, and Condensed is nearing completion. Another pass for typos, grammar mistakes has been done, a few rules (especially about cover, damage to cover and to frames behind cover) have been made more clear, and the demo rules by Vincent, inluding the image by cedric-ms have been intregrated. The idea of a glossary was cut, because it seems hardly necessary to for 26 indexed pages.

Not much left until it is 100% done. From he looks of it, it is feature complete and content-wise, too. You can use this document without any inhibitations for gameplay.
Ced23Ric
Old Guard

Next

Return to Rapid Attack