[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit.

Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit.

Any question on the rules for MFZ: Intercept Orbit should be asked here.
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Mobile Frame Zero: Alpha Bandit

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 am

schoon
Site Admin

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:20 am

Thanks for that - I'm clear now!
schoon
Site Admin

Postby grafvonbarnez » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm

At first glance the rules seemed a little complicated for an MFZ game, but upon digestion I think I've fallen in love with them. I'm gearing up for some plays this week so I can see how they pan out in play.

That said, I have a few questions on rules I might be hazy on:

- When you launch frames, you can launch them to any target not in cover? Does this include the ship launching them, if you want the for more local work/cover purposes, say?

- If a ship has two catapults, does it carry two companies, or just get 2 black dice? If it gets two companies how many can it launch per turn? (I assume 1)

- If a frame company leaves a target it is attached to, can it move to and attach to another ship? I don't think I see any rules for becoming attached to ships without being launched at them. Is that intentional or does just moving the company into contact with the target let you attach?

- Can ships that have been boarded and captured can be controlled as if they were your own? Also you only retain possession of a ship for as long as you have a company on it, but does this apply to HVAs or do they work just like stations in :RA? I can sort of see both ways, but that would make capturing them with ships wonky.

- Can HVAs be attacked or destroyed? They have dice unlike stations, but that seems like it would lead to a lot of shooting defenseless civilian targets. And even if just blowing up civilian shipping a la WWI U-boat attacks could make sense in space-war, that doesn't seem in style.

- Frame companies count as tactical assets, but don't score points? So in a two player game, if I bring say, 4 fully-loaded cruisers, and four frame companies, and my opponent brings 1 cruiser and 4 frigates, and 2 frame companies, I start with 4ppa (5, -1 for having more tactical assets, nothing as we each have 16 ship systems), and 28 points (4 ships and 3 HVAs x4ppa) and he has 6ppa and 48 points?

- Does a ship start at 3 movement every turn? Or does it retain its "momentum" (which then has to be tracked) between rounds?

- If a ship leaves the battlefield, is it out of play/counts as destroyed? I think that's a rule in :RA (but it never really made sense since there's no forced movement) Also, I'm completely in love with the movement rules. I remember reading vector-movement rules on Vincent Baker's blog years ago and this seems like a much-improved version.

Anyway, thanks! I cannot wait to test-run this!
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby schoon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 pm

schoon
Site Admin

Postby schoon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:43 pm

OK, since I was unclear on this at the start, I thought a picture might be worth a 1000 words on a movement example:

A Frigate (because it was easier to do quickly in MLCAD) is moving at speed 5 (from last turn).

During its activation, it rolls a 5 on d6G

It uses one point to accelerate to speed 6, and then makes the following turns:

Each turn is 2 clicks on the ruler due to having 3 systems (as opposed to 4), and no more than 2 clicks (1 click for 4-system ships) can be applied to any one "joint."

Thus, it starts aligned with the red part of the ruler and moves out 6 segments to finish as shown above.

Cool!
schoon
Site Admin

Postby grafvonbarnez » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby schoon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:36 pm

schoon
Site Admin

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:42 pm

schoon
Site Admin

Postby grafvonbarnez » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:51 am

I finally got a few playtest games in yesterday. They went fairly smoothly, but a question came up.

Captured ships revert to their original owner "immediately" when they're no longer occupied by a frame company. What if that happens during their activation?
The circumstance that arose during play was that one of my frigates had been captured by my opponent, whose frame company had only one turn of fuel left. The captured frigate was within an easy 3-4 range of one of his frigates, and also near a second of my frigates. He activated the captured frigate, gave it a 5 to maneuver, then drove it directly into my second frigate at full speed, trashing both of them. However, when the captured frigate moved, he had the occupying frame company choose not to move with them, to keep them within landing range of his carrier. Should the frigate have completed its fiery charge? Or is it back under my control as soon as it left the frames behind? I figured that mid-turn control swapping is awful enough for it to just happen at the end of the ships activation. Plus I was a little too slack-jawed at the time to have actually tried to argue about it.

Also, frames are completely devastating. The first battle was almost even, in terms of starting fleets. We both had a carrier, a cruiser, and two frigates, but one of my frigates had a catapult on it. just having one more company available than him was a huge factor in me completely rolling him the first game. Maybe it's just the first couple games and I'm missing something important, but frames don't feel even a little bit "fragile". They've got as much HP as cruisers, only take hits at short range, and can go anywhere. Just my 2 cents.
grafvonbarnez
Chatty

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 pm

Ugh. I can't believe I just lost the long, detailed post I did. Hutch in pants.

In short:

Frames are devastating, yes, but now feed into your score. Count them in your score as you would a ship or HVA.

Frigates now get a green d6 for free. It's not a system.

In your friends' case, which is an awesome move, btw, the value of your dice stand, whatever else may have happened. However, that's an interesting question! It's like when your frame gets hit and killed, so you don't use the rest of your dice. I'll add to my notes: if you move a ship out from under the controlling frames, you gotta ride it down, son. I don't think it does any damage, just because it's too complex to figure out who would take the hits, and frames can dodge just fine, compared to a ship.

Some more fun new rules:

Ship capture/defense now happens on a 3+ for each frame company hangin' on. That means that, if you don't have a defending frame, a single company has a 2/3 chance of taking it. Defended, it's still to the benefit of the defender, since it doesn't change hands on a tie.

Did I say before that ships with two catapults roll three black dice, not two? They do.

Repairs and relaunching now happen on the ship's turn. That means that a company with bingo fuel and bad damage will probably have to take a one-turn breather or make a hard decision about whether to fly out with low fuel or busted up equipment. It also means they can fight while getting repaired or refueled! Those frame support crews are amazing.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby schoon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Thank-you. That's what I need to start some furious playtesting.

I'll post reports as after playing a few games.
schoon
Site Admin

Postby Xero010 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:07 am

After lurking here on this part of the forum for awhile, and building a ship, I feel comfortable enough with the rules to ask a question
1.) When a frame company is launched, is it launched directly at another ship/company, and their base plates touch?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. - Mark Twain
Xero010
Grizzled Veteran

Postby schoon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:52 pm

schoon
Site Admin

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:44 pm

As soon as the Kickstarter goes live, I'll get on an updated playtest document. There are rules that are only on an index card right now.
Joshua A.C. Newman

Postby spacemonkey » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

spacemonkey
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Zero Revenge » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Self-appointed lore buff.
http://mfzarcadia.wordpress.com/ - Keep up to date on the War for Arcadia
Zero Revenge
Grizzled Veteran