My experiences with clone brands

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

My experiences with clone brands

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 pm

-Gudi: Excellent quality, nice clutch, great feel on the plastic, not too rigid nor too soft. Some small sets of micro-scale ships come with great part selections.

-Star Diamond: Very similar to Gudi in almost every way, studs come with a cute "STAR" marking on them (a plus, right?).

-Woma: Plastic not as great as Gudi or Star Diamond, but still on the good end of the spectrum, somewhat soft but manageable.

-Kre-o: Hasbro apparently abandoned the line, but if you can still find it, it's usually a good investment. Plastic feels just right, but an unusual high percentage of parts come with bizarre mold defects, why something as big as Hasbro would let that happen is beyond me. It does have some pretty awesome original parts.

-Mega Bloks/Construx: Newer kits have fairly good quality. Plastic is ALL THE WAY on the hard/rigid part of the spectrum, this isn't necessarily bad, but can be off putting if you're used to softer brands. It does have some pretty awesome original parts as well. It does have one major flaw, the bar/clips are not fully compatible with other brands, being noticeably thinner (Lego standard is 3.18 +- 0.10, Mega must be around 3.00 +- 0.10, which means some, but not all, clips will cross-connect).

-Best Lock: Worst brand I ever experimented with, all the way in the soft end, it almost feels like playing with melted water bottles. That being said, if you got duped into buying some, it's still far from unusable, small basic plates make great filler, and the fact that it is softer means that it won't damage or scratch other brands, it will be always the weak link and the one to absorb the breakage.

I also had experience with repackaged brands, but I couldn't find the source for most so I won't comment on all of them.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: My experiences with clone brands

Postby Mantisking » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:25 pm

Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby SamSam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Not tried many lists you put here, but I have lots of MegaBloxs. they don't work well with legos. pieces are either too tight orr too lose
SamSam
Talkative

Postby Riptor25 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 am

COGO, GUDI, KAZI, and Hsanhe (also for terrain) are on the higher end of BootLegos I've seen. Enlighten, older KAZI sets, Jie-Star, Xin-Lexin, and MCH Custom are about middle of the playing field; some flaws but mostly okay. SLUBAN, and SB Heroes tend to almost consistently have flaws. DO NOT even get me started on Best-Lock...
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion