Demo Kit Starter Set

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Are you interested in something like this?

Yes.
70%
No.
20%
Maybe? I have questions.
10%

Total votes : 10

Demo Kit Starter Set

Postby Mantisking » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:19 am

Over on my blog, I posted about creating a Demo Kit Starter Set. What follows is the text minus the pictures.

So with Pax Unplugged happening a little over three weeks ago, talk of Starter Kits, sources for parts, and other such talk ramped up in frequency again. This led to me thinking a bit about the topic and I came up with an idea, a Starter Demo Kit. What do I mean? a set made so you can run demonstrations of the game. Eight Frames -- four sets of teams of two -- four small walls, four large walls, a Station, a Ruler, and enough dice to play. It would also be a group starter kit, allowing a group of friends to start playing right out of the game. It could also -- possibly -- act as a starting point for someone wanting to build a squad.

Now, this isn't going to be cheap. I'll be sourcing all the parts from Lego Pick-A-Brick so I won't be able to look for the cheapest option. Why? Because it's a single source and I don't have the time to invest in looking through individual Bricklink stores. Right now the math is putting this at $150 USD and that's before I factor Shipping costs.

So what does everyone think? Yes? No? Special Snowflake? Thoughts? Criticism? I'm going to put at least one of these together just to see if it can be done and what costs and lead times are like. The final goal is to sell these at PAX East if there's any interest at all.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Re: Demo Kit Starter Set

Postby Blorf » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Kits are tricky business. I know you're aware of the challenges. While you're not thinking of aftermarket suppliers, you can still get burned by parts availability. You know how to get a hold of Raichelson; make sure you consult with him before you do anything.

This is a niche within a niche. The number of interested parties will be small. If you do it, I'd suggest on commission only and not making an up front investment.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: Demo Kit Starter Set

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:15 am

I miss an "I would be interested I if I were a beginner" option.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion