How to use this book challenge

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

How to use this book challenge

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:04 pm

Thank all of you guys for helping with the compilation!

Now you can help it further by writing a brief "How to use this book" section for it!

It must convey to a beginner what this is all about and how they should deal with the instructions in general.

You must also make a build that illustrates your text and helps conveying your message. Preferably a combination of two frames from the compilation itself, but not necessarily. (Note that only one or a few pics of this build will be featured, not full instructions).

I will chose my favorite one and have it on a special edition to be released 12/31/2017!

You may post your text here in this thread, or along with your build in the forge.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: How to use this book challenge

Postby Atavism » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:51 pm

I got a thing built too but I'll be a bit getting around to pictures.

I submit to you:

--------

DON'T BUILD THESE FRAMES!

I mean, you can if you want to... I guess... If there are some you really like. In fact, if you are just starting out you probably should build all of these frames... But don't!

This isn't going well, may I start over?

*Ahem*

What we have presented to you, here, is a compilation of designs, complete with helpful instructions on how to put them together. I'm sure everyone who submitted a frame would just be thrilled if you made entire armies of their designs, thus spreading their thoughts and ideas a little bit further into the world. The thing is, my friend, you have inside you an entire lifetime of inspirations that, unlike these designs, haven't been built yet! The whole world is poorer from the absence of your next big idea! Build it!

Of course, that's the problem, isn't it? Making tiny little Giant Robots is a tricky business, even for experienced builders; much more so for the inexperienced newcomer I imagine you to be.

(If you're not- shove off, I'm trying to have a conversation here!)

"How do I (you!) build frames?" This is what our compilation is for. Look through the instructions and try to understand the diagrams. Build the ones that interest you. Make yourself build the ones that don't. Take the time to understand how these builders made shapes and connections, how they added articulation, and where they left themselves room for adding systems. What choices did they make? Which choices didn't work out now that you're holding the frame in the brick? Most importantly, when did you get to make it different because you don't have the right parts?

As soon as it stops being useful, stop doing it.

We shared our frames with you because we're waiting for you to share your frames with us.

Don't build these frames.
Twanks LLC - "Always Forward!"
Atavism
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 am

Haha, excellent as always! :D

Some tough reverse psychology work here!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:53 pm

No pictures yet, I've been busy with Holiday stuff.
Anywho... At first I was a bit confused as to what you were asking, however, I think I have something to add. If this is incorrect, please feel free to edit/remove/change however you feel is appropriate.

---

CUSTOMIZE!

Ok, you've gone through the Frame Compilation, you've built some frames, played a game or two, and now that you're more familiar with Mobile Frame Zero, it's time to introduce the next step: Full Customizations!

The frames shown in this Compilation are done very well and are excellent in their own right and you may want to build them as you have seen them in the book, however, these instructions are NOT carved in stone, which means that they also allow for your own interpretations of that frame.

For example: you see a frame you like and you want to build it for your company, but in this collection you noticed that the frame you like did not come with instructions on any systems it may have, whereas another frames blueprints do. What do you do?

This is were customizing begins, deciding on what roles to take and how you want your new frame to appear. If you see a weapon used by another frame that you want to use for this new frame, then by all means, make it so. Or even better yet, create your own! Systems are meant to be interchangeable so don't be afraid to put them on a new frame. It may seem goofy, but that's only part of the charm of the game.
Make it your own by adding your own personal flair.
But you can also take customizing your frames even further. If, for example, you like the head and torso build of one frame, but don't like the legs or arms, then try something different for those limbs. Use a second frames arms and legs and attach them to the torso of the first. Mix it up! There are no wrong answers.

Building toys like LEGO, MegaBloxs and K'Nex (To name a few) encourage building and constructing. Using the frames in this compilation as a starting point, you can explore limitless possibilities in making frames more personalized, customized and overall wonderful! So get building!
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:01 am

By all means, this is profoundly correct, Artasid!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby phayze81 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Okay, here goes:

---

Obviously this book contains all the information you will need to brick up your very first company of Mobile Frames - all you need is some time, some bricks, and the patience to dig out the parts you need. Thumbing through these pages (can you thumb through an eBook?) and building the frames that you like by following the instructions, brick by brick, exactly as the designer intended is a fun and rewarding use for this book all on its own.

I promise that the designers of the frames that you build will be thrilled to pieces to see pictures of their frames on your gaming table! But there's one thing that would make them even happier....

Don't follow the instructions.

Maybe you don't have the right parts in the right colors to be faithful to the original - that's okay, you can improvise! Maybe you like the legs from one frame, but the body from another, and the arms from a third - no worries, you can Frankenstein together as many bits as you like! Maybe you've got your own ideas for all-original Frame design using some tricks you picked up by looking through this book - Great! Show it to us!

These Frames weren't created in a vacuum, they're the result of hours and hours of fiddling, experimenting, failing, copying from other builds, failing some more, and seeking to improve on older designs. It's a long, proud tradition that you, as the reader of this book, have now inherited!

It may look like a book of instructions to be followed, but in reality it's a book of inspiration, and inspiration means whatever you want it to mean. Now go get some bricks and build something!

Oh, and don't forget to show us pictures! We love the pictures.
phayze81
Chatty

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:46 am

Amazing entry, man! I'm super glad to see it!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby phayze81 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you like it - Atavism said most of what of what I had planned on saying much better than I was going to, so I had rethink things a bit. :D
phayze81
Chatty

Postby Aardvark17 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:06 am

Who knows, I'm probably just repeating what everyone else said in my own way. But here's what I got:

---

This compilation is not just a book of instructions. It's an idea book, just as much a catalog of instructions as it is a catalog of techniques, styles, joints, and parts. All kinds of builders have contributed their unique frames, design choices, parts choices, and building styles to the mix. Each frame is a snapshot of the builders view on frame building.

So you could just go ahead and build each of these frames exactly how it's shown in the book. Or you could experiment. Find substitutes for parts you're missing, put the legs of one frame onto the body of another, maybe even look through the instructions of frames you don't find particularly interesting just to see what parts are used and how, what techniques these builders have come up with.

In fact, most people probably don't want to see you make the frames in this book (although we'd certainly be flattered). We want to see what you can make, your frames. This compilation of instructions is a learning tool. Use it as a springboard to making your own designs, a first step on your way to becoming a master frame builder like those you see here and on the forums. This book is here to help you get there.

We can't wait to see what you come up with.
Check out my Flickr if you want
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Aardvark17 wrote:Who knows, I'm probably just repeating what everyone else said in my own way.

The same spirit from the compilation lies in this challenge, mixing what others have said in your own way is the heart of the game! I'm super glad to see your take on it, and I can assure you you added a lot to it!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby KungFujiApple » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am

I know this is really cutting it under the wire, it's just been so ridiculously busy recently, but I wanted to add something. I will have to preface this with what Aardvark17 said:
Aardvark17 wrote:Who knows, I'm probably just repeating what everyone else said in my own way. But here's what I got:.

On behalf of all of us in the MFZ community we would all like to say welcome!

This guide contains just a sample of the many frames that this universe has to offer. A universe that is bound only by creativity.

Whether you are interested in Lego tabletop gaming, wanted to try Lego mech building, or are perhaps already an accomplished Lego builder, the purpose of this guide is to give you a foundation to build on. Although any designer would be flattered to have someone build a design after them, all would be honored to rather have you be inspired by them. Be inspired. Hopefully this guide can help spark some ideas. Combine designs, make your own, create!

Often people have found that they do not have all the pieces to complete an entire build from instructions. Do not let this be a road block but rather have it be a bridge, a bridge to new ideas, new designs, new patterns. Oftentimes you may find that simpler is better. But more important than design, more important than technique, is fun. Have fun, build with others, friends, family, children, parents. Or perhaps you have some time to yourself and you want to get lost brick by brick. Either way enjoy!

It is our hope that from this guide you have a window to new ideas, opportunities, and new ways of creativity. We look forward to seeing what you have to offer.

I hope in some way this can help :)
KungFujiApple
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm also super glad to see your input here, Kungfuji!

Small update: I'm having a small New Years Eve travel which won't let me get online much, so I'm delaying the final release to 1/2/2018!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:20 pm

So, Phayze won!

I could go on about why I gave him the spotlight, but it all really boils down to my own subjective mess of a mind, which in any way diminishes the amazingness of his entry or any of the others.

Thank you all for participating, every entry brought me a huge a smile and the all the will I need to keep doing this kind of stuff!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion