Buying and rebuilding habits

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Buying and rebuilding habits

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:43 pm

A few months ago, I had an interesting conversation in the Discord channel. I found out that some members of our community never disassemble their frames.

As someone who disassembles frames really often (and assumed most would do that too), that sincerely shocked me a bit.

Then the fact that I don't buy bricks very often hit me (I don't buy anything brick related in almost two months, and that last set was a very small one, and I spent quite a while without buying anything before that). I wondered if I had enough income would I do the same. After pondering for a while I reached the conclusion that even if I had more of a buying power I would still torn my frames apart the same way. Sometimes I just can't help but to feel I could do something else with the parts, even when I, in theory, have enough pieces to keep building frames without them.

I personally have a few "signature" companies that I hardly ever change, but even those saw some minor modifications over the years. Most of my frames are lucky to survive more than a month in the same shape.

So, I ask you guys, do you disassembles your frames? How often? Even if you do, are there some frames you would never take apart? How often do you buy bricks, does that effect how often you renew your existing frames?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Re: Buying and rebuilding habits

Postby Aardvark17 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 pm

For me it's mostly up to chance how long a frame survives. I have a bit of a "frame pile" across from my pile of bricks, so sometimes a frame gets repurposed. For example my Taguthi are all still well and good, my Majakka have been disassembled, and even though Bassbox is probably my favorite frame to date it just has too many good parts :)
Weirdly my Locust is still intact as well.
Check out my Flickr if you want
Aardvark17
Been Around The Block

Postby Artasid » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

In answer to your question VitorFaria, I very RARELY disassemble my frames. I would only do so if A: I am unhappy with its result and/or B: I am in desperate need of parts for a current build (Like in need of parts in the same colors ect.) The reason why I hate taking apart frames after I build them is because I feel that each frame, regardless if it's my own design or not, is evidence of accomplishment. I tend to look back at my builds and often tell myself at how amazed I am that I actually built that, or at how I came up with the idea to use a certain type of connection that some might not have thought of (Think of the legs I made using minifig guns and binoculars). Each frame has a memory to it and I feel that taking them apart I would loose that memory. One could argue that I have pictures of my builds on Flickr, but there are times that holding the physical object has a lot more power to it than a simple image...

Sorry, I've gotten all sentimental there. I hope I didn't cause any confusion.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Haha, I can see why would you feel like this, Artasid.

I was about to comment about pictures, but then you pointed those out yourself. They're are usually enough for me to spark my good past frames memories, especially when coupled with a nice 3D model out of LDD or Stud.io to have them extra-documented!

I will you to know, Aardvark, despite having both pictures and a 3D model I still don't feel like taking my Locust apart either!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:06 am

I rarely disassemble things. Maybe it comes from being the guy who supplies most of the pieces for the game. If I kept breaking things down and rebuilding I'd never have a real foundation for everything I bring to the table.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Omega_Tahu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 am

I keep most of my frames built, although I will swap parts from a less important frame to a more important WIP frame, and the box I keep my MFZ stuff in will naturally break down the more fragile frames which I might or might not feel the need to fix.
The LF-D5 "Stub" is the top of the line in agriculture frames, designed to haul heavy farm equipment. It is also easy to repair, with standardized connections between all joints. Buy one today.

Also, it's also quite cute on the battlefield....
Omega_Tahu
Talkative

Postby Mark Sakura » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 pm

With the exception of the frames I built for the Trapananda scenario, I generally only keep my frames until I get around to taking pictures of them. Then I tear them down for parts. Either I'll take a breakdown picture or I'll make an LDD file before that, to make sure I can remember how to rebuild them if I want. To me, that's just naturally how Lego is supposed to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Runaway Urashima: A short novel set in the Mobile Frame Zero universe.
Mark Sakura
Talkative

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Interesting how diverse we can be on those aspects as well, thanks for the nice insights, guys!
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:55 pm

I keep about 25 frames built at a time—enough to supply an entire game by myself, but not necessarily with cohesive companies. After that, the "weakest links" get torn down to supply parts for new builds.

I rarely have the disposable income to buy parts, so I have to recycle to keep building.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Blorf wrote:I keep about 25 frames built at a time—enough to supply an entire game by myself, but not necessarily with cohesive companies. After that, the "weakest links" get torn down to supply parts for new builds.

I rarely have the disposable income to buy parts, so I have to recycle to keep building.

Up that number to 40 and that's what I do. Except that, amusingly, the "strongest links" are the first to go, as my experimental frames tend to be more intricate and my actual fighters tend to be older, simpler, models. I only ever upgrade the older ones when I'm sure I can do it cohesively on most of them.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 am

VitorFaria wrote:Except that, amusingly, the "strongest links" are the first to go, as my experimental frames tend to be more intricate and my actual fighters tend to be older, simpler, models.

Well, "weakest links" is an expression. I keep them for different reasons. I might make the determination based on sturdiness, stability, or looking awesome. Some of the builds I still have are among the first I created, like the Hawk (A crowd-pleaser on the table); others are upgrades of older frames (The B-008/B-009 are gone, but the Mk. II B-021 DX and SX are still assembled. The Razor company exists almost untouched just because I enjoy using it so much, and the Deadbolts are all there because they're so easy to play with.

Whichever I like least gets the axe when it's time to make something new. (Which it should be time for more often... it's been too long.)
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Raedien » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Not sure how much my opinion counts here considering I still haven't actually played the game...

I build and rebuild until I'm so happy with it I don't WANT to take it apart again. Usually that means constant building until I get something I'm happy with...and sometimes it means taking a break from it for months or in rare cases a year or two.

My Hellhound build is probably still my favorite build ever and that took multiple revisions and at least two breaks in building. The FAT Mech went through two rebuilds. My Red Creatures SSC (aka Dragon Knight) was rebuilt well over a year later because of how unhappy I was with it (and most likely will go through another at some point). Rebuilt multiple Cobrax SSCs I think a year later since I wasn't happy with it and now I love them. My Police squad will most likely never get taken apart unless I'm making a strict improvement across all of them.

That said, most of my build are SSCs and once I'm happy with them they sit around lookin' pretty. My Hard Wights, for example, came together nicely and chill with several other Mixel builds that haven't changed since I built them. I believe my Gun Bunnies are the oldest example of this.

I think once I get into actually playing the game (if ever) I'll have a dedicated group of modular frames that constantly get changed though.
Raedien
Chatty

Postby Mantisking » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:45 pm

And germaine to the conversation at hand, I disassembled my squad of Balors today. I needed the parts and having an unintentional copy of someone else's work wasn't fun anymore.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion