What do you want to know about other players?

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

What do you want to know about other players?

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 am

One of the pieces I'm developing for the updated, official Commander's Handbook is a player network. You'll be able to browse for other players geographically and make contact with them. Each player will be able to create a profile for themselves. I'm looking for community input on what kind of information would be helpful or interesting to see on other people's profile pages.

We'll obviously have username, real name, e-mail address, and geographic location. The app will enable sharing of companies, loadouts, and games across devices, so those will appear also. I respect your right to privacy, so most fields are optional. I'd like to avoid creating yet another page people need to keep up to date, so items describing how often one plays or the amount of experience one has with the game might not be a good fit—but since you have the option to leave it blank, let me know if you feel otherwise. What else would you like to see? Are website/Flickr links relevant or desired to have here?

This app isn't ever meant to replace the Hangar or other groups, so typically the only reason people will be browsing it is to find people to play with or to copy in-app data that's shared by another player.

(If this kind of player network seems like a good idea, please come check out the Patreon and consider whether contributing to its development is something that will benefit you. I'm putting in a lot of hours each month to make it a reality, and I really appreciate the support of people already helping to make it happen. You'll probably also get early access, and maybe some other cool stuff.)
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Re: What do you want to know about other players?

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 am

Distance willing/able to travel for games. If made as a visible radius, you could see who overlaps (with you or other players) and where, to streamline meetup coordination.

Something like that would probably need an upward limit to keep the occasional troll from obscuring and skewing useful data.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 am

CmdrRook wrote:Distance willing/able to travel for games. If made as a visible radius, you could see who overlaps (with you or other players) and where, to streamline meetup coordination.

Something like that would probably need an upward limit to keep the occasional troll from obscuring and skewing useful data.

That's a really excellent idea. I wonder if there's a way to counter the binary nature of it, since that radius changes for most people depending on how many people are gathering, who they are, and what day/time is in question. I'll think that through; there might be a good solution.

(Also, you are awesome! I have something I'll be sharing with you as soon as I can pull it together.)
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Roland the Barbarian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 am

There's a feature missing from most player finders I know. I personally study in the city of Eindhoven, but live in Nijmegen which is an hour's drive away. For me it's perfectly possible to arrange a game in/near either city, so I'd like to be able to submit both places to the player finder as my 'home location'.
"So in the end, the whole game comes down to whether or not I make this 4+ roll."
- Me, somehow in at least half the games I play
Roland the Barbarian
Newcomer

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:24 am

Blorf wrote:That's a really excellent idea. I wonder if there's a way to counter the binary nature of it, since that radius changes for most people depending on how many people are gathering, who they are, and what day/time is in question. I'll think that through; there might be a good solution.

(Also, you are awesome! I have something I'll be sharing with you as soon as I can pull it together.)

Roland the Barbarian wrote:There's a feature missing from most player finders I know. I personally study in the city of Eindhoven, but live in Nijmegen which is an hour's drive away. For me it's perfectly possible to arrange a game in/near either city, so I'd like to be able to submit both places to the player finder as my 'home location'.

Definitely related, and an interesting idea. If not multiple home locations, a limited allowance of travel nodes to apply could fill the gap for, say, conventions, or daily commuting.

I think a minimal amount of human effort would be perfectly acceptable to reach out and say "hey, I noticed that everyone is willing to travel a mere twenty miles away from this particular spot, could I offer incentive to gather here," or "our group is pretty active, are you interested in joining us even though it's out of the way," or "this place is inside the radius, but without major highways it's still an hour drive that might not be worth it." The latter being very common in Massachusetts.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:20 pm

CmdrRook wrote:Distance willing/able to travel for games. If made as a visible radius, you could see who overlaps (with you or other players) and where, to streamline meetup coordination.

That would be really awesome!
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm

For those that play in game/comic/hobby stores, maybe a "Home Store" field?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Game/Event Scheduling. Find open game/event
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby zeekhotep » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:29 pm

I really like the multiple locations and home store ideas.
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:03 pm

I think we're heading in the right direction, but haven't quite solved it.

I'm pretty sold on the idea of location not as a user property, but offering users multiple markers they can place and describe. Uses like "On business here Aug. 8 to 14" and "available here on weekends" sound like really good ideas. "Home store" is another perfectly good use case there—though it will cause multiple players to be located at the exact same place. I'm not entirely sure how I will handle mapping that yet, but I should probably figure that out regardless. This might also extend well into game finding, as 'games' might just be an additional type of location marker.

I see where the radius idea is going, but showing these on the map will quickly overwhelm viewers in many situations. Not seeing it on a map reduces your ability to choose a location that works for everyone. Maybe the radius shows on hover and remains on with a click? Something like that. More thought is required here.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Mantisking » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Blorf wrote:I see where the radius idea is going, but showing these on the map will quickly overwhelm viewers in many situations. Not seeing it on a map reduces your ability to choose a location that works for everyone. Maybe the radius shows on hover and remains on with a click? Something like that. More thought is required here.

Maybe do it like a Store Finder prompt on a retail website? Show X people within Y radius of my location?
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby xTornOxysx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 am

Or within the given radius of each of your locations, listed seperately by 'favorite locations', in addition to current GPS location.
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:24 am

Is there other information about the player that you'd like to know?
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 am

Preferred game type, if any? 1v1 vs multiplayer. Skirmish vs battle. Optional rules?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby zeekhotep » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am

Level of personal hygiene.

Are you morally opposed to soap?

Do you believe in the existence of toothpaste, mouthwash, and breath mints.

Do you apply cologne with a ladle?

:-)
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby xTornOxysx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 am

A range? Prefered Min/Max players in one game, size skirmish/battle

How would you keep track of all the possible optional rules? I mean, I guess there are like 3 or 4 common ones like climbing/height advantage, sprint rules or no, ... can't think of the others. But maybe an 'other' category?

People could filter yes/no on the commons, and yes/no open to additional homebrew rules.

Just throwing stuff out there, but I'd be embarassed if I showed up and we had the same color scheme. Not sure how we'd fix that on the spot. Imagine two people playing with full companies of red chubs? So maybe list your color scheme primary/secondary/accent/detail

Just so we don't both show up to the party wearing the same dress lol

Edit; wow just saw you Zeek
Maybe add this "should you apply cologne with a ladle?"
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby zeekhotep » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:26 am

My point with that question was that too much cologne can be as difficult to deal with as strong odor from an unwashed body.

Of course all of these questions are meant as humour, and not intended for inclusion in the questions.
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby xTornOxysx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Oh I know. I enjoy facetiousness.
xTornOxysx
Chatty

Postby CmdrRook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Level of experience might be a good metric to include. Preparing to introduce someone to the game might be approached differently than joining a hardcore group.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:43 pm

xTornOxysx wrote:How would you keep track of all the possible optional rules? I mean, I guess there are like 3 or 4 common ones like climbing/height advantage, sprint rules or no, ... can't think of the others.

The handbook does or will support these optional rules:
- Split-range weapons
- Elevation
- Hazardous Terrain/Environmental
- Dropping a white for damage
- Jettisoning systems
- Adding an unclaimed station in 4p games

These are all in the book or sanctioned by Joshua directly. I believe the only one in the book that hasn't made that list yet is per-frame initiative, which is much more technically complicated to implement at the more detailed game tracking methods. (But nothing stops you when you're using the simple score-only method.) I've never heard anyone actually using this rule, so it's pretty low priority for me to figure out.

Sprinting is a core rule, not an optional one.

xTornOxysx wrote:Just throwing stuff out there, but I'd be embarassed if I showed up and we had the same color scheme. Not sure how we'd fix that on the spot. Imagine two people playing with full companies of red chubs? So maybe list your color scheme primary/secondary/accent/detail

That's a better question to ask once you agree to set up a game; it won't help you decide who to set up a game with.

zeekhotep wrote:Level of personal hygiene.
Are you morally opposed to soap?
Do you believe in the existence of toothpaste, mouthwash, and breath mints.
Do you apply cologne with a ladle?
:-)

Are you a jerk?
Do you measure from the center, the core, or the edge of the frame?
Any structure that has any part at 3 bricks is all cover? Or only the part that is 3 bricks is still cover?
How long does it take you to make a decision?
Have you actually read the rules?
Blorf
Mod Team

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion