Stud.io

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: Stud.io

Postby Luke_BMM » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:56 pm

As far as the program itself, I grabbed a copy to give it a spin. It does not require any sort of login or show any signs of extra network activity beyond regular updates. Even the price-fetching options seem to be opt-in, and (without a Bricklink account), I can use the program for modeling and rendering. It seems to be a repackaged and somewhat streamlined LDraw application, with a solid LDD import and POV-Ray rendering baked in. I find the modeling / placement options somewhat clunky (I don't care for the color palettes or the brick sorting), so I keep using LDD instead out of habit... but it's nice to be able to open up a file and create a nice export. I wish there were some more options for lighting and such, but that's getting a little out of scope.

As far as the license, I still sincerely believe that it's actually somewhat less awful than most web services or license agreements. While it looks shady under a microscope, there are a few allowances that make it a non-issue for me and many others. Namely:

- The licensing information explicitly states that it only applies to things saved up to Bricklink and shared in a public forum (which I have no intention of doing, as I have no desire for another account to open and manage)
- The integration is optional. It's fully-featured without sharing anything.
- The terms themselves are absolutely worth reviewing... with an eye on what needs to be done to protect a modern web service. I find that most services are actually substantially worse, this one was just called out as noteworthy for some reason.

A license is not a change in ownership. That's not even in question, here. Owners grant licenses to use copyrighted works - it's just saying that by sharing your creations on Bricklink, you allow Bricklink to share those creations with others. Irrevocable is legalese to indicate that you can't take back the license granted. Without saying this, you'd arguably have the option to revoke the license granted to them to display your publicly-shared content and they'd be on the hook for complying immediately. Perpetual means that there's no time limit. It's used in any contractual agreement that doesn't have an explicit time limit. Sublicensable means that, within the rights granted by their license to use the work, they may share it under a different license. That does not mean that the different license can contain terms that contradict the original license. It allows them to add clauses, like the SA and NC clauses in Creative Commons flavors, for those familiar with that, but not contradict the original terms.

Notable permissive licenses that are Irrevocable, Perpetual, and Sublicensable include many flavors of Creative Commons, the Apache License, the MIT License, and many others. These are fundamentally good things. They allow people to create and distribute work to be shared and improved upon. They also protect companies who want to help facilitate that sharing. Yahoo's licensing terms, as an example that was praised earlier in this thread, include a more permissive license photos, graphics, audio, or video but include the exact same terms for other content shared. That means that uploading your renders to a Yahoo service - like the commonly-used Flickr seen so frequently here - uses the permissive terms for the rendered image itself but the exact same terms apply to the "build", if that's what people are worried about.

Which leads me to the last thing: I'm genuinely not certain what the concern might be. Are people concerned that Bricklink will sell Bricklink-branded Lockon and Twank kits? Are people concerned that a patent troll is going to buy Bricklink and pursue people for posting photos of their own builds? I don't understand what the worst case "shady" scenario might even be, in this case, because those both seem incredibly nonsensical.

This entire discussion, however, is a good thing. I'm glad that people pay attention to these things. I'm glad that people care about the hidden costs of free services. I'm absolutely not trying to suggest that it's ok to give up because everyone else is doing it... I'm just suggesting that this particular concern seems somewhat misplaced. I sincerely think this is genuinely the appropriate defensive legalese to allow them to run their service, with their features, and offer up this free tool. I actually think they're doing so in a reasonably permissive fashion.
Luke_BMM
Been Around The Block

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank's for the insightful comments, guys!

Are people concerned that Bricklink will sell Bricklink-branded Lockon and Twank kits?

That would sure be funny! :lol:

I have plenty of builds on my baseplate, but didn't made any public yet, maybe I should throw at least one out there and see what happens?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:58 pm

I think it is safe; I mean they have a MOC store now that is made by users who I think get a cut of the profits. If they stole one property I think all they would fall apart and dry up.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby VitorFaria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Reclusive Spider officially made public. Lets see how this goes.

Important note: Tried to get hyperlinks in the description for both the Hangar and the official MF0 site. The hyperlink feature froze both times, so I just gave up.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Shades_Corvid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:50 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Reclusive Spider officially made public. Lets see how this goes.

Important note: Tried to get hyperlinks in the description for both the Hangar and the official MF0 site. The hyperlink feature froze both times, so I just gave up.

So you have posted a spider frame; now I can download the instructions and/or the Stud.io file.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

Dark Cloud Blogs - A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

The University - MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby DRevD » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Late to the party, but this looks good. I have been playing with it for a few hours, and it seems fairly robust, however I don't know where everything is yet. I am so familiar with LDD its hard to switch. The BL integration is a nice perk, if a bit self serving..but I'm not too worried about any shenanigans from BL. The built in rendering feature is really convenient.

Its nice to have a program like this that will be supported for the foreseeable future...while LDD has been abandoned, left to decay in the gutter.
DRevD
Been Around The Block

Previous

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion