Boot Legos Special Edition: Buy Frames HERE!

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Boot Legos Special Edition: Buy Frames HERE!

Postby Riptor25 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:49 am

So as some of you may know, I buy cheap Chinese boot-leg legos. Now, in some of my BootLego reviews I've covered sets done by a small-time company named MCH Custom who do a combination of true Lego MOCs and other non-Lego sets. After finding out that I did reviews of their products, they contacted me and asked about my reviews, and our community. We chatted, and not long afterwards they message me again saying they wanted my opinion on whether several designs would appeal to our players! They sent me several pictures of four different designs (all by our very own Eduty here on the forum!!) and after negotiating a cost, I invested to have the parts for two of the designs assembled and ready to go.

So, without further ado, we introduce the OMF-G17 "Firefly" with 75 pieces
ImageHPIM4437.jpg_original
ImageHPIM4439.jpg_original

And here is the OMF-G19 "Hellcat" with 83 pieces
ImageHPIM4442.jpg_original
ImageHPIM4440.jpg_original

Both sets offer lots of pose-ability, and look right at home on a battlefield. Barring Lego coming out with actual sets like these, MCH has made the closest thing to a starter kit I've seen yet. Now, are these actual Lego bricks? No. Does the brick quality match Lego? No. The only problem I had was with the lightsaber parts. They are just a hair loose when placed in clip pieces, but both ends fit snugly into other bricks. Aside from that, the bricks are sturdy and seem to connect quite well (meeting standards I've come to expect from MCH Custom).
ImageHPIM4446.jpg_original
ImageHPIM4447.jpg_original

The BEST part about this is that I struck a deal with MCH so I can sell these beauties! This way I can offer an affordable alternative to scouring the internet for pieces and instead offer a ready-to-build set. They are $6 per set, or 3 sets for $15 USD (not including shipping). That comes out to $0.08 per piece for the Firefly, $0.07 per piece for the Hellcat, and about $0.06 per piece on both sets if you take the 3 for $15 deal. This is mostly to cover costs. As of right now, red is the only color option available. When you buy them, you'll get the sets you ordered, and an email containing the LDD instructions. I have about 30 of each type on-hand. You CANNOT get these anywhere else! I have them on hand, so no waiting weeks for a Chinese import either.

I would really like to see this succeed because cheap, accessible sets have been what this community needed for some time. Cost and brick quality have always been a balancing act for us, but I believe this is as close to a true balance as we'll ever get (aside from official Lego branding). Please let me know if you have questions or comments! Would you rather have me list these on eBay? Are there other colors you would be interested in? What do you think about the price per piece? Depending on how sales go, I will contact MCH Custom about Eduty's OMF-G17 "Pamela" and OMF-G "Angel" designs, and possibly more sets designed by others here in our little community!
Image12674798_1736300459918597_711719780_o.jpg_original
Please note that this LDD is a prototype image, and there may be slight changes in both colors and parts between this picture and the final products.
Last edited by Riptor25 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A [Single-Set] Challenger has appeared!
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Re: Boot Legos Special Edition: Attack Platforms!

Postby VitorFaria » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:08 am

That's some really great news!

Those are all excellent deals for beginners.

If I can make a suggestion, try making a "two in one" pack of a very small and simple frame, like a Doompa, a Twank or my ST-01 Classic (they don't need to pick the exact models, just something inspired among those lines). That would make army building even easier for someone starting out.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby eduty » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Does that MCH custom place want more LDDs? A lot of those designs were based on "cheap" prices from LEGO PAB. Now let's say MCH can give you a better deal on travis bricks, etc, then you can pursue better, more durable techniques for joints.

If they can do Mixel ball joints.... the options open WAY up.
eduty
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 pm

I'd like to see more well-developed non-weapon systems. Sure, armor is subjective, and the pseudo-super-chub has an antenna on it, but how 'bout some shields, flight packs, or sensor greebles? A quad might be nice? Again, nothing from stopping you from bricking something else out of the kit, and looking at all four sets next to each other, I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. Pretty sure I can spot which parts need to be moved from one model to another to make a chub, a high-leg, and a commissar out of the four sets, and I'm sure there's another one or two hiding in there somewhere.

That brings me to a more pressing question? Have you reached out to Joshua at all about this? Soren?
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Riptor25 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:58 pm

eduty wrote:Does that MCH custom place want more LDDs? A lot of those designs were based on "cheap" prices from LEGO PAB. Now let's say MCH can give you a better deal on travis bricks, etc, then you can pursue better, more durable techniques for joints. If they can do Mixel ball joints.... the options open WAY up.

I'll have to check with them. When I originally asked about where they got your designs from, they said that they had to pay a finder's fee to find designs that would fit the bill. After our chat I began to wonder if submitting popular LDDs to MCH at no cost might work even better for all parties involved. I agree, though. If MCH has easy access to Travis bricks and mixel joints, we could have quite a variety of great sets available for the larger MFZ community!

CmdrRook wrote:I'd like to see more well-developed non-weapon systems. Sure, armor is subjective, and the pseudo-super-chub has an antenna on it, but how 'bout some shields, flight packs, or sensor greebles? A quad might be nice? Again, nothing from stopping you from bricking something else out of the kit, and looking at all four sets next to each other, I'm pretty sure that's what they're going for. Pretty sure I can spot which parts need to be moved from one model to another to make a chub, a high-leg, and a commissar out of the four sets, and I'm sure there's another one or two hiding in there somewhere. That brings me to a more pressing question? Have you reached out to Joshua at all about this? Soren?

I agree wholeheartedly. Starting off, however, I was more interested in going with a fast-and-recognizable look for the sets; something that looks like you could assemble and then blow each other to bits right away. I've been thinking that if this works out, and I am able to ship out enough sets to cover the cost of investment, I'd like to start adding in other popular designs from the MFZ community, including support and non-standard (i.e. quads, hovering, etc) designs. I think that's the best part about these sets, though. Eduty used a great variety of bricks in them, meaning you can very easily reassemble or mix-and-match to make some really unique stuff!

Yes, I have talked with both Joshua and Soren. Apart from actually slapping the MFZ brand on these (which Joshua said there are rules for, just that he doesn't have the time to give a full breakdown right now), and that Soren was hesitant to allow the production of the four most recognizable frames (Chub, Hi-Leg, Scrambler, Commissar) when dealing with an off-brand brick, both were very on-board. Joshua was kind enough to offer his best wishes and thinks "an inexpensive route into the game would be great!"
"Use your head you can success. Price may discount, BUT enjoy never discount." The Boot-Lego guarantee.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby CmdrRook » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:35 am

Glad to hear it, and thanks for taking the time to clarify for me, Riptor. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm far more comfortable monetarily supporting the effort knowing everyone's on board.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Riptor25 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:45 am

CmdrRook wrote:Glad to hear it, and thanks for taking the time to clarify for me, Riptor. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm far more comfortable monetarily supporting the effort knowing everyone's on board.

Absolutely! When I was first contacted by MCH Custom about this, I was wary too. But after talking to the creators (and most recently Eduty about his designs), I feel much better about this endeavor. I'm just in this to see MFZ become more accessible to players!
Riptor25
Talkative

Re: Boot Legos Special Edition: Buy Frames HERE!

Postby eduty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:33 am

I'm just in this to see MFZ become more accessible to players!

100% with this all the way.

By the by, if you're looking for that one set of bricks that makes a lot of nifty little mecha, I kinda got a start on it with this design:
ImageOMF-G47 Chimera by eduty, on Flickr

And here's the stuff if MCH wants to do any mechs from the second OMNI series:
ImageOMNI Line up II by eduty, on Flickr

Nearly ALL the designs include links to the LDDs and a parts list.
eduty
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:37 pm

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I'm a huge fan of that G47 line. In my opinion it's the perfect set for this kind of thing. Small, but that keeps it inexpensive—and everything in it are workhorse parts that benefit someone who decides to expand their collection.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Riptor25 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:33 pm

eduty wrote:
I'm just in this to see MFZ become more accessible to players!

100% with this all the way.

By the by, if you're looking for that one set of bricks that makes a lot of nifty little mecha, I kinda got a start on it with this design:
ImageOMF-G47 Chimera by eduty, on Flickr

And here's the stuff if MCH wants to do any mechs from the second OMNI series:
ImageOMNI Line up II by eduty, on Flickr

Nearly ALL the designs include links to the LDDs and a parts list.

I'm honestly really grateful for your support. I definitely will let them know about what designs you have available to use. I was kinda hoping that if this gains enough attention that we could have members submit designs and have the community vote on their favorite to be included in future "waves" to be mass produced for other MFZ fans. Anything to get cheap sets to fans. I've also toyed with the idea of donating some sets to those people who have booths at conventions as prizes for people who play in the demo games.
Riptor25
Talkative

Postby individual11 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:46 am

Sign me up how do I make an order?
individual11
Newcomer

Postby eduty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:01 pm

Blorf wrote:inexpensive—and everything in it are workhorse parts that benefit someone who decides to expand their collection.

You got the idea ;)
eduty
Talkative

Postby Riptor25 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:49 pm

individual11 wrote:Sign me up how do I make an order?

You can send me a PM on here with what you're interested in and go on from there! Thanks for your interest!
Riptor25
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion