MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

Postby Meaker VI » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:51 am

Luke_BMM wrote:Yeah, from what I remember, it's largely an iOS thing. Once you save a web app to the home page, it is... reluctant... to update. It's just made for a different goal (preserving the thing you chose to save, rather than giving you the latest version of what you intended to save).

Just blow away the icon and re-add it and it works great.

Does yours go to safari every time you try to open something else? Mine is doing that, and while it's not an end-game situation since I have wifi in my house where I'm most likely to play, it is less than ideal. Maybe I'll try blowing up the icon and reloading again.
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby Blorf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Meaker VI wrote:Does yours go to safari every time you try to open something else? Mine is doing that, and while it's not an end-game situation since I have wifi in my house where I'm most likely to play, it is less than ideal. Maybe I'll try blowing up the icon and reloading again.

It does, huh? That's not intended at all. Research is required.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:10 pm

Pushed out v2014.08.28.

• Fixed an issue where the company list went out of sync if any had an unplayable number of frames
  • Fixed an issue where the damage calculator would not switch back to the main system sim
  • Companies with no frames left can no longer gain stations; removed menu item to lose frames
  • Rebuilt app architecture to load entire app at once. This may result in a slightly longer load time on slower devices; will speed in-app performance, adds page transition effects, should prevent iOS from switching to Safari
  • Updated the 'tied for initiative' dialog
  • Various minor fixes and adjustments

I researched the problem that Meaker VI reported and found that at least some versions of iOS simply drops out to Safari for any link, external or not. I refactored the entire app to load from a single page instead of individual pages for the various components, so this shouldn't be an issue anymore. I still don't have an iOS device to test on, so you'll have to let me know how that works.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Meaker VI » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:35 am

Blorf wrote:Pushed out v2014.08.28.

Tested this weekend, seems to work fine now, thanks!
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby Blorf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Update 2014.09.02:

• Tidied up new architecture behind the scenes in preparation for future improvements
  • Added frame effectiveness report to system simulator

The new effectiveness report is an experimental feature. It graphs a frame's typical (mean) results of each type of ability. This allows you to compare the effectiveness of split-range vs. typical weapon systems, discover the extent of diminishing returns in allocating additional systems (such as SSRs), see how relying on whites affects a build, and determine a frame's durability. There are a number of factors the report cannot account for, but it may still be beneficial data for highly analytical players. Go to the simulator and set up a loadout to see the graph update as you build it. Click the (?) on the graph to learn how to read it.

If these prove to be useful, I have additional plans for how I might be able to use them. Please let me know what you think.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Meaker VI » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Blorf wrote:Update 2014.09.02:...

Question: Could the app be made to link/store (even local) pictures for icons, team images, and unit images?
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby Blorf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I don't really know yet, but I may be looking into it later. Right now the app doesn't really need it but some potential expansions I have in mind might send me in that direction.

As with most things I do, I'll be figuring it out as I go along!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:28 pm

Update 2014.09.10

• fixed typographic errors and formatting
  • additional refactoring of architecture
  • improved memory usage
  • smoothed page transitions
  • added Unit Structure section

Unit Structure allows you to set up company structures which include collections of frame loadouts. You can use this area to create companies and send them to the Asset Tracker, or push a frame from within a stored company to the System Simulator to view its dicepool and simulate rolling. Companies also allow you to view/graph their effectiveness, similar to the frame graph already added to the system simulator.

I'm aiming to make the app capable of being used for every type of play aid I've seen on the hangar, with the obvious exception of those types that are placed on the field. This update and the last bring me very close with the new quick reference material and the unit structure section, but company loadout sheets are still a short ways off. Future updates are planned to extend the Unit Structure section. This new section may not seem like much yet, but it's a big step forward in being able to replace written company sheets. You can now, if you'd like, keep track of frame systems and damage in a game using the new section—but there's no integration with scoring, identification beyond name, or reconstruction after a game completes. Those are on the roadmap, as are other UI improvements to make things a bit easier to work with.

For those interested in statistical analysis, I believe this is the first tool available and possibly the first developed model to evaluate a company as a whole. For anyone who thinks this kind of analysis is over the top or has too many hidden variables, I'll paraphrase: 'all statistical models are wrong, but some are useful.'

Finally, though I've attempted to avoid this, it's possible that the under-the-hood architecture changes may invalidate game data. If you have an important game currently in progress, I suggest that you save the logfile before reloading the app online.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby aurlaent » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:19 am

I think I've spotted a typo, in the Rules of Engagement->Player count and game size Skirmish table 3 Players should have 3-5 frames.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 am

Thanks. I'll definitely get that into the next update. Looks like the actual frame count check in the asset tracker is correct, though, so it won't affect your ability to use the app for that situation.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:53 am

Update 2014.09.12
  • fixed reference material
  • expanded name generator (now includes thematic elements drawn from the Errata)
  • added ability to add archetypes directly to a company
  • added ability to create companies from archetypes page
  • added SSR display to company info with notice
  • improved sending companies from unit structure to asset tracker
  • added company icon
  • added preferences

Yep, another one already! I had some unexpected time open up to work on it and these changes were somewhat simpler to make.

The archetype -> company function is something I've wanted from the beginning and really improves the usefulness of that page. Combined with the capability to analyze a company, one can now really quickly set up a few different company loadouts and compare them.

Preferences allow some customization of the app, and will likely expand with time.
  • Split Systems now default to OFF, cleaning up the UI. Turning this on adds those options back to the Simulator and Unit Structure areas. Having this off only removes the ability to add new split systems, it will not adjust any unit already created with split systems added to it.
  • Non-Thematic Navigation changes the main nav from the default thematic "handbook" style to a straightforward descriptive style: "Play Game", "Dice Roller", etc.
  • Attack Graph type is now switchable between "Damage Output" (default) and "Range Independent". "Damage Output" better compares the total possible damage of the frame/company, where "Range Independent" better compares the potential of each range individually. This affect the graph bar only and not the numeric value.

Please continue sending feedback, as I'd be happy to hear what people think, how well it's working for you, and where you might like to see it go. I'm seeing the server traffic increase so I know there's interest, but not hearing many comments from users.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Meaker VI » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:28 pm

Blorf wrote:Please continue sending feedback, as I'd be happy to hear what people think, how well it's working for you, and where you might like to see it go. I'm seeing the server traffic increase so I know there's interest, but not hearing many comments from users.

Keep at it! I haven't had a chance to *really* use it yet, but it is a great resource and works very well! From the sound of it, you've been adding loads of great, very ingenious extras, those will make it better and better.
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby aurlaent » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:33 pm

It's looking great. So many excellent features. Thanks for all your work.
SSR counting doesn't seem to be working. I have created companies with 0, 2, 3, & 4 SSRs and they all say "This company does not have the required number of SSRs to begin a game."
And a feature request, would it be possible to add custom Archetypes?
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:30 am

aurlaent wrote:would it be possible to add custom Archetypes?

Already on the list! Might be up next now that sending archetypes to companies is working.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm

This is SO COOL.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Blorf » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:44 am

Update 2014.09.17
  • minor design/interface tweaks
  • completed architecture cleanup, minor performance improvements
  • fixed company SSR notice
  • fixed swipe action on some sliders opening menu
  • added graph show/hide toggle on company frame editor
  • added setting: compact UI

The compact UI setting presents a condensed interface in some parts of the app in order to better fit onto and eliminate scrolling on small screen devices. This removes some field labels, so it's recommended to leave this setting off while using the app for the first time. Combined with the graph toggle, this setting allows me to edit frames for my companies without scrolling the dialog.

Joshua A.C. Newman wrote:This is SO COOL.

Thank you! Is there anything that would be particularly useful to you that you'd like to see it do?
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:37 am

Update 2014.09.19:
  • fixed frame system reset dropping name as well
  • fixed loadout send-to-company list not refreshing properly with edge cases
  • improved outlining for SVG icons
  • added custom loadout capability
  • minor interface adjustments and improvements

Custom loadouts are here. Create your own archetypes in the dedicated section at the top of the archetype list. As you'd expect, they'll take a name and up to four systems. You can view their effectiveness and add them to companies like you can with the built-in archetypes.

I should really update the first post of this thread with all the new stuff.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby aurlaent » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:27 pm

This is excellent. Thanks heaps!
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby Blorf » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

It occurs to me that I now have all of the building blocks necessary to create a complete "turn assist" feature which steps through all of the decisions necessary to play the game. (Activate or pass? Which frame will you activate (shows a list)? Choose a defense value (rolls dice and shows options). Choose a target (shows a lit with defense and spot values for each). And so on.) I'd think it would be of most help to new players where no veteran is nearby, and that's a pretty small number (especially since those players would have to find not only MFZ but also the Handbook before they started playing). There's also the benefit to anyone wanting a truly complete game log, but that seems to also be a very small number.

Is that of interest to anyone? I'm thinking I shouldn't waste my time but I'd like to know what people think.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Jhokalups » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I think it would be really cool. It would be a definate aid if anyone put together a vassal module for MFZ.
Jhokalups
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion