MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

Postby eatrepeat » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 am

As it happens to be on the fly that I get a game in, my latest experience went flawlessly. My foe tells me that before he left for work some randomness ate up the time needed to pack the army of frames. Worse was that at 10pm we needed to start not wait for an army pick up, I quickly relayed what my loaner army was set with systems and that was that. As we greeted a cigarette was offered and an air of calm confidence. We bid outside even. My opponent claims your play aid allowed him to work out exactly how to optimise what I had prebuilt. In game the asset tracker kept our beer from hindering point calculations :)
I may have lost but I loved it and fought to the last! Thanks for the gift of such quality and concern. This is truly the spirit of this wonderful game!
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks for this! I appreciate knowing that it works well.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby MittenNinja » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:34 pm

So I just have to say, this is friggin awesome! Thanks for putting it together!
The Transit Gate: A MFZ Podcast
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
MittenNinja
Old Guard

Postby Blorf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Thanks, MittenNinja!

Update 2015.04.26 adds environmental systems. This feature is still considered beta and might cause some undesired effects, but I wanted to release it now in time for use this weekend. It's optional and must be enabled in the preferences. I also added the system type letter to the rolled dice in the simulator, to aid colorblind users: [6] becomes [R6].
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 pm

The Commander's Handbook will be unavailable during server maintenance, effective immediately. It's expected to return within 24hrs. If you've saved it to your home screen, you may still be able to use your cached copy in offline mode until then.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 am

Service is restored. As always, let me know if you have any issues.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 am

Hey all,

Development may have gone quiet for a while, but there are some big plans brewing for the Handbook. I had a great discussion with Joshua recently and we're working on an agreement that will allow us to collaborate on development. A partnership would allow us to build and enhance features in ways that allow games to play faster/easier and expand what's possible for MFZ.

What are we thinking?
  • Official status for the Handbook, bringing it fully into (and potentially expanding) canon
  • Updated design which is more in line with other Solar Calendar materials
  • Streamlined and improved company creation, game setup, play tracking, and other components
  • More flexibility and customization for frames and companies
  • Revised and improved rules reference
  • Optional rules
  • Multiple devices connected to the same game
  • Server-based load/save
  • Sharing of frames, companies, games
  • Long-term campaign tracking
  • Additional features to enhance players' tactics and strategies

We've got a few surprise ideas that aren't on this list, too.

Further intel will be uploaded as it becomes available. Stay sharp, commander.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:09 am

Nice!

I wonder if I can write some extra load-out archetypes?
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby aurlaent » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:04 pm

Sounds great. I've found the tool very useful so far.
aurlaent
Talkative

Postby morganm » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE you're web app! Came in SOOOO handy lastnight with a gorup of new people who'd never played before. The asset tracker, quick notes about things like setup, easy to navigate from asset track over to things like the damage charts.... I could go on and on.

Thank you so much for making this and sharing it with the community!

:mrgreen:
morganm
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the feedback.

And as long as I'm here, I'm still planning what I'd said earlier, but I've been having a hard time connecting with Joshua in order to finalize a few important details. Hoping to get it rolling forward again soon.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm excited to bring you all some news.
The Commander's Handbook is becoming an official part of the Mobile Frame Zero series.

Joshua and I have been hammering out the details and it's finally time to kick things off. We're going to re-develop the app to a higher standard in order to make many new features and upgrades possible. This will be a polished, professional-grade product expanding what's possible with MFØ. Since there's significant time involved and the app will be distributed freely, we're asking the community to consider supporting its development. There will, of course, be additional benefits for contributors. More information is available on the project's Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/hazardcreative.

I've already listed some of the expected features and upgrades earlier in this thread, but the kickoff post on Patreon also details why we're approaching it this way and more of what supporters can expect.

We really hope you'll join us in making this possible!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Really nice news!

I'll see if I can support it somehow.
"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." Carl Sagan
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby mraichelson » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Nice!
I put together frame building kits (and links to folks selling companies) at MobileFra.me.
mraichelson
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

Reward tiers have been added on Patreon. If you previously made a pledge, thank you! You can go back in and select a reward that matches your level of support.

I've got some interesting development material ready to share with backers, so if you're interested in following development or getting an early look at it, please check those out.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

I've just announced a feature we're working on for the new Handbook release: A tactics and strategy guide!

This is something I've been working on for a very long time and have quite a large number of hours into. Even in its draft form, it's extremely comprehensive and covers both basic and advanced topics.

If you're interested and want the details, head on over to the Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/hazardcreative

The Handbook will be distributed for free, but your support would help me develop this further by adding illustrations, examples, and additional topics.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm

I keep seeing new faces show up and people posting in the game finder forum. It doesn't seem that connections are often made, even from people who have posted about being in the same area but in different threads or at different times.

Wouldn't you like to know about players in your area?
Wouldn't you like to know about games being scheduled near you?
Wouldn't you like someone to tell you without you having to check in on super old forum threads to find out?
Of course you would!

Now, wouldn't it also be great if there was someone in the community who already had the experience and resources necessary to build a system capable of this and much more?
And wouldn't it also be extra great if that person received enough support from the community to carve out time within an already super busy schedule to make it reality?

-------

This is one of the ideas I've been working on, and it seems pretty relevant with the new posts in the game finder forum recently. It's a tool I would love to include in the Handbook for free to all, with a directory of players, posting of games, and push notifications about players new to your area or visiting from out of town. It's potentially hugely beneficial for the community, but it's a difficult task that requires a lot of time. At the current level of support I'm receiving, I couldn't begin to project when I might have enough time to finish it. But if I get more support, I can set aside more time to devote to features like this. And supporting handbook development directly supports Joshua, too. We'd love to have your help in finding you more players to connect with.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby VitorFaria » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Is your stuff opensource? I could contribute by coding if necessary.
VitorFaria
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:26 pm

VitorFaria wrote:Is your stuff opensource? I could contribute by coding if necessary.

To date, the handbook has been open source just by nature of the technology. The server-based components I'm working on now are a different animal, but I don't see why they couldn't be open source as well. While I have plenty experience coding this kind of thing, I'm actually pretty green on repositories and version control. That's just a matter of experience with it—it wouldn't take long for me to pick up, I'm sure. But if that's something you're interested in, send me a note and we can discuss details.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Just a quick update: real-time game share has just taken a huge step from theoretical into reality. I think I'm starting to close in on a beta version of the new release.

To have everyone set up their company and secretly lock in their bids before they even show up for the game will be a huge time-saver for my group.
Blorf
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion