MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Re: MFZ:RA Commander's Handbook

Postby Meaker VI » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Blorf wrote:It occurs to me that I now have all of the building blocks necessary to create a complete "turn assist" feature which steps through all of the decisions necessary to play the game. (Activate or pass? Which frame will you activate (shows a list)? Choose a defense value (rolls dice and shows options). Choose a target (shows a lit with defense and spot values for each). And so on.) I'd think it would be of most help to new players where no veteran is nearby, and that's a pretty small number (especially since those players would have to find not only MFZ but also the Handbook before they started playing). There's also the benefit to anyone wanting a truly complete game log, but that seems to also be a very small number.

Is that of interest to anyone? I'm thinking I shouldn't waste my time but I'd like to know what people think.

Correctly automating a turn might be a great thing even for vets - there are often threads about rules clarifications where it turns out the players neglected something semi-obscure.
Meaker VI
Young Gun

Postby eatrepeat » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:34 am

Take your time and don't let it burden you. Tomorrow at the earliest!
So yes I have a little interest to not mess up initiative again :)
If my Frames stay out of the Star Wars universe...
eatrepeat
Been Around The Block

Postby Blorf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:24 am

Meaker VI wrote:Correctly automating a turn might be a great thing even for vets - there are often threads about rules clarifications where it turns out the players neglected something semi-obscure.

I'm afraid those players wouldn't use it, though. It would need to be fairly obtrusive and collect a lot of data every turn in order to function: activations, targets, spot values, defense values, if a spot is used... all things that require user input. That's a lot of app-using instead of looking at LEGO robots and considering field strategy. And to be at its best, it would require rolling using the in-app simulator. That offers a very deep level of guidance, but isn't something you could turn on and off as you wanted it. Without all the data in place from previous turns it's no better than a quick reference rules page—which the app already has. It would have to be on from the start. Would vets want to do that?

eatrepeat wrote:Tomorrow at the earliest!

Request granted! I assure you it will not be done before tomorrow.

If it's initiative you need a reminder for, you're already covered. The in-game scoreboard is always listed in initiative order. Ties at the beginning of the game (except defense) are randomly decided for you. Just follow the list, top to bottom.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:13 pm

With this update, I have completed a major goal: to make the app usable for as many types of common play aids as possible. It can now effectively take on the role of company/frame stat sheets.

Update 2014.09.26:
  • Improved interface for combat phase (condenses UI)
  • Fixed an issue where round number was incremented at doomsday
  • Fixed incorrect assumptions in round rangefinder
  • Unit Structure section renamed to Structured Units (simplifies terminology elsewhere)
  • Added warning about duplicated frame names in Structured Units
  • Added notification of structured unit usage to asset tracker
  • Added System tracking level to Asset Tracker
  • Added available update notification
  • This update is likely to cancel any game currently in progress and clear the game asset list. Complete any in-progress game before closing or reloading the app.

In the future, when app updates finish downloading in the background, the app will notify you and ask if you'd like to switch to the new version immediately. (Of course, you won't see that in order to get THIS update.)

This update's "big feature" is system-level tracking. The app previously could only track at asset-level, meaning it counted only the number of frames/stations. With system-level tracking, the app now keeps a complete list of named frames and their systems. When you fill the asset tracker with structured units, (from that section of the app,) system-level tracking becomes available. Units imported this way get an "SU" badge in the setup list. During a game, select frames and reduce their systems. Send frame loadouts directly to the simulator from here to check and/or roll their dicepool. Damage events are also written to the game log. If you don't want/need this level of detail, asset-level tracking is still available as quickly and easily as before.
Now developing the Mobile Frame Zero Commander's Handbook — The official mobile/web app for rules, game aids, and tactical planning.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Ironclaw Buzzardier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:35 pm

Wanted to stop by and say I'm really enjoying the app. Thanks!
Ironclaw Buzzardier
Young Gun

Postby Blorf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Released Update 2014.10.07. The full change log is now part of the in-app info page, so I won't repeat it all here.

Hopefully users can now take advantage of the auto-update notification & switching, and not have to delete/reload it as before. If you've been having a problem with that, please let me know if it works!

Of particular note is the "Activation" tracking type. This goes one step beyond "System" tracking and allows users to mark which frames have been activated as well as their spot and defense values. With this tracking type, a game can be played without using dice markers placed on the field.

There are lots of other improvements as well, mostly tidying and tightening up the interface for a smoother experience.

Ironclaw Buzzardier wrote:Wanted to stop by and say I'm really enjoying the app.

Thank you!
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:36 am

In keeping with the "Handbook" theme, I'd like to start compiling tactics and strategy information into a separate reference section. I think this would be very valuable both for new players getting introduced and for veterans who want to try something different. Sections might include playing offense, playing defense, playing the middle, company setup, terrain layout, general tips... It'd be great to get some help from you guys on where to find existing tactics related material. You can link blog posts, forum threads, or just write stuff and send it over to me. Thanks in advance.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:03 am

Arconnect wrote:You need to fix the naming of units on the structured units page, it won't save the names/colors, you have to change them each time when you add them to a simulation if you want to, otherwise you are stuck with the pregen name...

I'm not sure I'm following. Is that still a problem now? Can you give me a detailed description of how it happens? Maybe I should change the button name to "copy to asset tracker", because once you do it there's no link to the company in the SU section.

Arconnect wrote:... you should also make it to where during a tie you can remove frames ( during the beginning of the round), without your options being 1) Drop down to Asset mode or 2) Figure out the ties manually beforehand, remove the relevant units from structured units, add them and run your simulation, then readd the units you removed (so you'd have to have them memorized or written down somewhere) so that the unit is whole again.

I agree this is less than ideal and it's definitely something I'd like to improve. It's a bit more complicated than it seems on the surface because I have to account for every possibility—including ties between more than two players at a time, and the possibility that a player chooses to ADD a frame instead of removing one. Bolting a frame-builder interface into the Asset Tracker seems like an inelegant solution that complicates more than it helps. I'm still stewing on it.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Arconnect » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:42 pm

I'll run through the order of operations and see if I can replicate the issue.

- Start from a blank slate load of the handbook. I originally did this on my phone, but laptop browser had no previous saved data for your webapp
- Immediately go to Structured Units tab
- Click add company
- Loads " Dragon Slaying Ghosts ". Color: Dark Green
- Click Back
- A zero frame loadout for Dragon Slaying Ghosts
- Click on Dragon Slaying Ghosts (DSG)
- Edit Company thing comes up again
- Change Name to "Free Champions" (FC), preferred name
at this point you have three options, hit Back, hit Generate, or click out of the Box
Clicking out of the box changes it back to DSG
Clicking on back does the same thing
Clicking Generate randomizes the name

There is no option to actually SAVE your edited information

New Discovery: Hitting Enter in the name edit box or color edit box loads a blank page, the web address seems to indicate it tried to load a page with "Free Champions" in its address

Also, once you've added frames, it adds the option send it to the assets simulation page, this will send a copy named DSG even if you've changed the name box to FC before doing so.

The problem is that you can't actually name or color your structure units and pressing enter seems to send you to a broken page. You CAN change their name once they are on the tracker, though, same with color.
Arconnect
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Understood and reproducible now, thank you. I'll get a fix for that underway.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Blorf » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Updated with the bug fix and added a duplication feature which should help with that resolving ties issue until I find and implement something better.

Something weird is going on with the server not sending the header to prevent caching though. I'll work on that more later—for now you might have to clear data to get the new version quickly.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Hackjob » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:04 am

Hey I finally got around to downloading the Commander's Handbook and I think it's great! I have not used it during a game yet but I have had fun making and comparing frame loadouts and companies. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to make the MF0 community this neat tool! :)

-Hackjob
-Hackjob

Here's more: my Flikr
Even more... my Imgur
Hackjob
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks! Let me know if you find any issues. And when you do play a game, save the log and give us a battle report!

Side note: I did manage to fix the server headers with respect to caching, so that should improve the update process whenever I push out a new update.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Hasimir » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks for this app! :D

Just one question: how do I roll dice? with the "simulation"? is there a way to keep track of them?
Hasimir
Newcomer

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:32 am

Hasimir wrote:Thanks for this app! :D

Just one question: how do I roll dice? with the "simulation"? is there a way to keep track of them?

Yeah, if you fire up a game simulation, you'll be able to activate frames and roll their dice, and even track damage that updates their systems in real time. Takes a minute to get the hang of and you'll need to input the army lists ahead of time, but that also has the added benefit of calculating points per asset, starting position, and turn order.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:40 am

The system simulator is the dice roller. Rolled results for frames are stored until you change setup, re-roll, or clear the app data. Closing the app or visiting other app sections will not clear them. Damage rolls only persist as long as the app is open. There is no "roll history". Setting up companies in the asset tracker ahead of time isn't necessary because you can build any loadout right from the system simulator. If you're going to use the simulator to play a whole game, though, I expect setting up companies and using asset tracking would save you time in the long run. The app is capable enough to allow you to play a full game if you don't have any—but make sure you name your frames well and be vigilant about recording activations, spot, and defense values.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Hasimir » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks for the answers :D
But maybe I didn't explain myself clearly...

Let's say I set up a demo game.
I create the companies and frames.
I go to Asset Tracking and click New Game and then Deploy Companies.

The first player chooses a frame to activate and clicks on its profile within the team (let's call it Tony from Bravo Team).
I now see Tony's current systems, frame status (activate), spot (0)... the Done and Destroy Frame buttons... the Simulate1 and Simulate2 buttons.

I click on Activate, then on Simulate 1.
I end up in the System Simulation interface... what do I do from here?
I click on Run Simulation, this gives me the rolled dice... is there a way to connect these numbers to the dice in Tony's profile?
Or do I have to click the upper left button to summon the app menu, click Asset Tracking, click on the activated Tony's profile, and manually insert the Defence value?
What if I forgot the number along the way, or if I went on to set the Defence rating before playing my turn? ... if I click again on Simulate 1 the previous dice roll is lost!
And there is no trace of the roll in the Game Log, it only says that Team Bravo has activated Tony.

Am I missing something?
Or am I supposed to use the app for the actual roll, but then write down the results?
Hasimir
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Hasimir wrote:I end up in the System Simulation interface... what do I do from here?

First, choose the appropriate range, then simulate the rolling.

Hasimir wrote:I click on Run Simulation, this gives me the rolled dice... is there a way to connect these numbers to the dice in Tony's profile?

No. Currently these are separate sections. I'm considering how they might get tied together in the future, but there are some issues I need to resolve before I can do that.

Hasimir wrote:Or do I have to click the upper left button to summon the app menu, click Asset Tracking, click on the activated Tony's profile, and manually insert the Defence value?

For now, yes.

Hasimir wrote:... if I click again on Simulate 1 the previous dice roll is lost!

Use the top/swipe menu to go back to the simulator instead of this button. (Clicking the button indicates you want to begin a new simulation for that frame—the simulator doesn't know which frame you started with.)

Hasimir wrote:And there is no trace of the roll in the Game Log, it only says that Team Bravo has activated Tony.

Again, perhaps at a later date I will be able to implement this. The app isn't there yet.

Hasimir wrote:Or am I supposed to use the app for the actual roll, but then write down the results?

You're supposed to use dice! :D
The game wasn't designed around the app and it isn't officially supported by the game authors. It's a gameplay aid and in no way required to play. That the app has come far enough to make it possible to not have to use dice is great, but it hasn't yet come far enough to make it simple. Perhaps in the future—but since I'm not making any money, development only moves forward as time allows.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Hasimir » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Blorf wrote:You're supposed to use dice! :D

Of course :lol:
Thanks a LOT for the explanation (and for the app!) now everything is clear :)
Hasimir
Newcomer

Postby Blorf » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm

Quick update: fixed a gender assignment when discussing a frame.
Blorf
Mod Team

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion