Massive compilation of frame instructions

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

Massive compilation of frame instructions

Postby Scrape » Fri May 30, 2014 9:04 pm

I've been collecting frame instructions and making a big book for myself. For lxf/ldd files, I've been rendering them down and editing them into concise 4-8 page PDFs. It's a... time-consuming project. But I enjoy this kinda stuff. At first I was doing this for myself, to make cool stuff and learn new techniques, but now that it's reached over 65 unique frames and nearly 400 pages, it occurs to me that this book is kinda awesome and a useful resource for the forums. It will be available for download soon!

UPDATE: I've been really busy lately but I've finally got some time off! This project will be finished within two weeks- I'll just release what I have done at that point.

The Current List of Compiled Frame Instructions:
Updated 07/13/14
Anaconda by MittenNinja
Ankole AGM-23 by A Yates Industrials
Anne G26 S1 by eduty
Anne G26 S4 by eduty
Anvil by Pippi Shortstack
Betty G17 by eduty
Betty Sue G29 by eduty
Betty Sue G29_S2 with excessive guns by eduty
Charger by Gobbleone
Charlotte G23 by eduty
Chub Variant: Fat Snake ST-08 by Soren Roberts
Chub Variant: Super Chub by HatRabies
Chub Variant: Flying Theo Chub by FlakManiac
Conscript by Soren Roberts
Convict by XGundam05
Copperhead by MittenNinja
CraterCorp Heavy Mech by MalcolmCraig
Dead Man Walker by Scrape
Gecko by Roboslob
Golem by DRevD
Grand Naga by MittenNinja (this might be just the Naga, I'm not sure)
Gremlin by A Yates Industrials
Gutbucket by Darcy Burgess
HARBL by Soren Roberts
Harrier MkII by Dukayn
Heavy Frame XVM-17 by XGundam05 (this is just the XVM series core that XGundam published a while back. The skeleton, basically)
Hellcat G19 by eduty
Hi Leg 'Sue' G27 by eduty
High Ball walker G27 S1 by eduty
High Hand walker by Soren Roberts
High Heel walker by Soren Roberts
Hopmate by A Yates Industrials
Hunk by DRevD
Igor by Darkwing Don
Iguana by MittenNinja
Ijad Behemoth by MRaichelson
Jerboa by MRaichelson
Knight by OrangeKnight
Laggar Delta by Dukayn
Landscript by MittenNinja (now with Soren/MalcomCraig lineage noted!)
Marauder by milt69466
McCoy XMF-91L by XGundam05
Metalstorm by onosendai2600
Mini-Frame by Squieu
Neige: A Study in Zizy by zerovirus
Paladin VMF09P Mass Production Model by gatlinggouf927
Pamela OMF-G17 by eduty (this one was unnamed, so eduty kindly let me name this one after my wife! How awesome is that?!)
Roller FU33 by Schoon
Rumble Monkey by Soren Roberts
Sally G25 by eduty
Scuttler by Soren Roberts
Sharpshooter by Soren Roberts
Shieldbearer MGN-311 by MalcolmCraig (I call it the Shieldbearer 'cause it describes the frame well. May change this in the released version)
Sky Suit OMF-G14 S7 by eduty
Slammer MF by Soren Roberts
Splatcat by Roboslob
Stiletto Crawler by Renel Ebro
Stinger by Soren Roberts
Stormcrow by Dukayn
Stride Ball G28 by eduty
Stumpy by Wordman
Takafashii-C by Squieu
Talent VTM01 by Roboslob
Winmar STK-7 by Dukayn
Zealot by Foghammer

Because neoaez put released a series of super-pro looking PDFs for his builds, and because I like them so much, I actually made a separate book of his work. It includes:
Assaultmate MkI
Assaultmate MkII
Double Edge MkIII
Intruder
Landmate MkII
Landscript Tau
Marmot
Saturn Variant
Shiver
Spectre
Veloce

... so those will also be bundled if neoaez is cool with it! Counting these guys, the total right now is 67 individual frame instructions and over 400 pages. Wow. :shock:

And the following frames are on my to-do list:
(most of them are lxf files I have to render down and edit, but some (like Foghammer's Hive Soldier) are PDFs that need to be reformatted to fit the rest of the 6x9 book)

Warthog by Mark Sakura
303-B Ocelot Recon by Fragsturbait
RF-15 Sicuro by Fragsturbait
Tiger by Blorf
Hawk by Blorf
'Crown of Thorns' Samurai by zerovirus (taking me a while because it's complicated, but worth it I think!)
ST3 Walker by Pippi Shortstack
Chapulin by Pippi Shortstack
Hive Soldier HK1390 by Foghammer (Needs heavy reformatting to match the rest of the 6x9 formatted book)
Paladin Mk.IV Tyrant Custom VMF-09AC by gatlinggouf927 (most likely; might swap out for another model in the series)
Hi Leg Variant: Hi arm by I don't know who but I'll find out (Gotta figure out who made this, it's somewhere on the forums)

If you have a frame build in LDD that you'd like to see bundled into this giant collection, just pm me or post a link here.

I wanna make a few disclaimers, so there are no misunderstandings or anything!

1)I'm not aiming for a comprehensive book. That would be madness. Instead, I'm trying to represent a wide variety of building styles. So sometimes I picked just one model from a particular series and just included that (like gatlinggouf927's Paladin for instance. I love them all, but just did the Mass Production Model for the book).

2)You'll notice that certain builders are featured heavily; don't read too much into this. Some of it is my personal building preferences, but mostly it's a matter of convenience. For instance, eduty posts LDD files for nearly every single one of his builds on flickr and I happen to love his style. So there's a lot of eduty builds represented.

3)I don't do breakdown shots; just step by step instructions via LDraw files. I'm not very good at actually building in LDraw yet, so even the most clear breakdown shot has not made it in the book.

4)Some of my most favorite designs or designers are actually not in here. It's because I can't get my hands on any LDraw files of their builds. If anyone wants to be included in the collection, hook me up with an LDraw and I'll do what I can!

5)If anyone does NOT want their work reshared, I will absolutely remove them from the collection, no questions asked. This was just gonna be my personal project book until I realized how useful it might be to other people here. I have no intention of doing anything with this PDF except sharing it on the forums here, and building kick-ass lego robots in my hobby room. But if you see your work here and are uncomfortable at all, just PM me or whatever and POOF, I'll remove it without any fuss or big deal. Cool?
Last edited by Scrape on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Re: Compiling instructions; who built these frames???

Postby ruhe.bryan » Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the Landscript was Malcolm Craig's innovation, and the Grand Naga was MittenNinja (Greg Strom).
ruhe.bryan
Young Gun

Postby Mantisking » Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 pm

ruhe.bryan wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Landscript was Malcolm Craig's innovation, and the Grand Naga was MittenNinja (Greg Strom).

Nope, the Landscript is MittenNinja's. The Naga started out as a reskin of Squieu's Takafashii frame then morphed into MittenNinja's own. The Stumpy is a Wordman creation.

And this really should be in the main discussion area. Moved.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 12:58 am

Thanks, Mantis! (for the answers and the thread move)

Let's play more frame detective! There's this little build, which I renamed the RollerGirl when I downloaded it and uh... have no idea where I found it.I think it's a Schoon creation but have no idea what the original name is supposed to be. Any idea on the true name of this frame?

Also, there's this guy which I've been calling a variant of Pippi Shortstack's Anvil. Is that true or did this one come first? Is this frame also by Pippi or did someone else make it? Does it have a real name of its own? My friend/opponent fields one of these and calls his "Handsy," which makes me laugh.

ALSO ANSWERED!
Last edited by Scrape on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby LowestFormOfWit » Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 am

Mantisking wrote:
ruhe.bryan wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Landscript was Malcolm Craig's innovation, and the Grand Naga was MittenNinja (Greg Strom).

Nope, the Landscript is MittenNinja's. The Naga started out as a reskin of Squieu's Takafashii frame then morphed into MittenNinja's own. The Stumpy is a Wordman creation.

To clarify, the Landscript was a blend by MittenNinja of Soren's Conscript and Malcolm Craig's Landmate, so his hand is still in the design somewhat.
LowestFormOfWit
Grizzled Veteran

Postby zeekhotep » Sat May 31, 2014 11:28 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
Mantisking wrote:

To clarify, the Landscript was a blend by MittenNinja of Soren's Conscript and Malcolm Craig's Landmate, so his hand is still in the design somewhat.

Thank you Lowestformofwit, I find a frames' entire lineage to be very important, and I feel we are a better community when we keep track and give credit. I would also like to add a big thank you to Scrape! This is a wounderfull project that will be a huge boon to the community as a whole. Even expert builders will benefit from this by virtue of having more opponents with well built armies.

Scrape, have you seen my "list of frames," and "Mecha Frames instructions" pages. They are meager in comparison to what you are putting together, but they do list frames that have been adopted by the community as well as listing creators and lineage.

http://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/instructions/mecha-frames/
http://nobsjustabs.wordpress.com/tools-rules/list-of-frames/
Last edited by zeekhotep on Sat May 31, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby milt69466 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:38 am

The Variant of Pippi shortstack's Anvil is by DRevD and is called the NDV-05h Hunk
and it came first.

Glad to help
banner by milt69466, on Flickr
我们是红色团体,争取桃子!
milt69466
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 31, 2014 12:17 pm

Scrape wrote:Thanks, Mantis! (for the answers and the thread move)

Let's play more frame detective! There's this little build, which I renamed the RollerGirl when I downloaded it and uh... have no idea where I found it. I think it's a Schoon creation but have no idea what the original name is supposed to be. Any idea on the true name of this frame?

That is Schoon's design. It'd be interesting to see a list of what you've compiled. And if you have PDF instructions I'm sure the community would be very interested in them.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 5:00 pm

I don't have instructions for Malcolm Craig's Landmate. Do these exist?

Also: full list incoming! Give me some time to type it up.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 31, 2014 5:39 pm

Scrape wrote:I don't have instructions for Malcolm Craig's Landmate. Do these exist?

I have it and a few others, here.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Mantisking wrote:
Scrape wrote:I don't have instructions for Malcolm Craig's Landmate. Do these exist?

I have it and a few others, here.

Ahhhhh, that's why I don't have it. The link is no longer working.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Mantisking » Sat May 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Scrape wrote:Ahhhhh, that's why I don't have it. The link is no longer working.

Fixed.
Mantisking
Mod Team

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 6:16 pm

I wanna make a few disclaimers first, so there are no misunderstandings or anything!

1)I'm not aiming for a comprehensive book. That would be madness. Instead, I'm trying to represent a wide variety of building styles. So sometimes I picked just one model from a particular series and just included that (like gatlinggouf927's Paladin for instance. I love them all, but just did the Mass Production Model for the book).

2)You'll notice that certain builders are featured heavily; don't read too much into this. Some of it is my personal building preferences, but mostly it's a matter of convenience. For instance, eduty posts LDD files for nearly every single one of his builds on flickr and I happen to love his style. So there's a lot of eduty builds represented.

3)I don't do breakdown shots; just step by step instructions via LDraw files. I'm not very good at actually building in LDraw yet, so even the most clear breakdown shot has not made it in the book.

4)Some of my most favorite designs or designers are actually not in here. It's because I can't get my hands on any LDraw files of their builds. If anyone wants to be included in the collection, hook me up with an LDraw and I'll do what I can!

5)If anyone does NOT want their work reshared, I will absolutely remove them from the collection, no questions asked. This was just gonna be my personal project book until I realized how useful it might be to other people here. I have no intention of doing anything with this PDF except sharing it on the forums here, and building kick-ass lego robots in my hobby room. But if you see your work here and are uncomfortable at all, just PM me or whatever and POOF, I'll remove it without any fuss or big deal. Cool?

Okay, without further ado:
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 6:17 pm

edited: list of frames moved to OP instead
Last edited by Scrape on Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby Scrape » Sat May 31, 2014 6:26 pm

Also, so you have an idea what this book looks like, here's a low-resolution sample page from the book (it's from eduty's Stride Ball). I take an lxf file, render it as html and print that to a multi-page PDF. Then I crop and edit those pages together in Photoshop or InDesign until they're concise little 4-8 page booklets that look much nicer than the ugly huge 30page PDF that spits out originally. Then I combine them into a massive bookmarked PDF, arranged alphabetically.

Like I said, it's... time-consuming. But the finished pages look something like this, not exactly beautiful but not too ugly and easy to follow, at least:
Attachments
frame book sample page copy.jpg
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby zeekhotep » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:02 am

My God man,.....outstanding!
zeekhotep
Talkative

Postby SeraphimKnight » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:13 pm

You're gonna do one of mine? I'm honored, to be quite honest :) Though most of the credit for the Ophan goes to DRevD and eduty for their hellcat/bearcat I guess :P
SeraphimKnight
Talkative

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 am

SeraphimKnight wrote:You're gonna do one of mine? I'm honored, to be quite honest :) Though most of the credit for the Ophan goes to DRevD and eduty for their hellcat/bearcat I guess :P

Yeah but the Ophan looks so fancy! Had to do it.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Postby milt69466 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:15 am

Glad to see the Marauder on the list :)
banner by milt69466, on Flickr
我们是红色团体,争取桃子!
milt69466
Been Around The Block

Postby Scrape » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Cool, I'm glad people are into it. Gimme another week or two to "complete" it and I'll have a download link for everyone.

I mean, it's never gonna be done as long as awesome new builds get posted, but at some point I'll draw a line and just put out what I have, then upload additions.
Last edited by Scrape on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrape
Been Around The Block

Next

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion