[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Mobile Frame Hangar • View topic - What MF0 means to me

What MF0 means to me

General discussions about the game or building materials
Forum rules
This is a game - This is fun - All of your posts should reflect this

What MF0 means to me

Postby Vitoria » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Hey folks, I know I haven't been that active for a while. That whole trans thing can be pretty hard at first, not as hard as some movies and TV shows may have you believe, but it still can be really hard. I'll have you know that my local mof0 group, which are also some my most dearest and truest friends, backed me up all the way through this process, but you would probably know that already by reading the rest of this text.

I decided to get a little sappy and talk about what MF0 means to me, and how it changed my life. So here it goes!

I discovered this game at the end of 2014. I was finishing my last college semesters back in that day. I was very much the negative stereotype of a nerd, had real trouble socializing and was very awkward, I also had severe impostor syndrome and legitimately believed I would never get a real job.

It was exactly that time in my life that every power I knew seemed to suggest that I should just abandon who I was and conform. My professors, family, even my partner seemed to suggest that.

I felt that I had no hope or future if I insisted on trying to be who I really am. I had my nerdy hobbies, but they were all really lonely and I just felt they alienated me further.

Everything changed the day I finally found the Hangar, and the MF0 community in general.

So many fascinating people, so many of them older than me, they had jobs, family, contributed so much to society, but still somehow managed to build some cool brick mechs in their free time, and more important than everything else, everyone seemed so nice, polite to a fault, so different to the angry gamer stereotype from most nerdy circles. Inclusive and diverse in the truest way imaginable, which meant punching nazis out. The adherence to so many great principles, and the way they were so naturally internalized by everyone fascinated me.

I immediately realized that all that wanted in my life was to be one of those people, and I would stop at nothing until I achieved that. That was the future I wanted, the future I was almost convinced I could never have.

I scrambled together some mobile frames out of my limited Lego collection of the time, found some additional random toys to complete the rooster, bought the dice I could afford (not many or enough, so we used to write down spot and defense values at first) and invited some friends to play, praying to every god I could imagine so that they would not hate it.

It's nice to point out that I might have been the very single person, from my entire country, that knew what MF0 even was, so it was a complete shot in the dark.

Not only they didn't hate it, but they loved it! It was amazing!

Suddenly my lonely nerdy hobbies like brick building and watching mecha anime agglutinated in that amazing social experience that I could share with everyone!

And so I did share it with everyone! I started bringing my box with MF0 stuff to college literally every Friday, I would pull random people to play, and their sincere smiles meant the entire world to me.

For the first time in my life I was some sort of leader and pioneer, not following my peers with some fad, but bringing a new thing to table on my own, and feeling joy and pride in it every second it was at play.

I kept playing, building frames, and it just got better and better. Frame building coalesced into my main and truest artistic outlet, a way to express myself, and feeling the healthy effects of that is truly remarkable, once someone said that we are defined by the art we make, not the art we consume, and that finally made sense to me.

All of that helped me immensely, I had confidence enough to fight back impostor syndrome, finished college and started building a career, I finally felt that I was an adult, but I didn't had to abandon my spirit and my principles to achieve that. Not only I was an adult, but I was an adult on my own terms.

This is really a community I will never forget and never abandon, I feel like I owe so much to it, and to everyone that is a part of it.

You folks rock, this place is the best, and it's a honor to be here with you!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Re: What MF0 means to me

Postby Shades_Corvid » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Thank you for sharing and sometimes it blows my mind how we are more then just couple peeps sharing LEGO and games with each other. I am also very thankful for this place and our community in general.
"The Legs have Teeth..." *Comm Static*

- A MF0 Blog (Mostly)

- MF0 Discord Server
Shades_Corvid
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blorf » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:30 pm

Thank you for sharing. I've enjoyed having you here.

It recently came into focus for me just how special this community is. I made a comment in another community calling for some basic civility, and got personally attacked for it. But more importantly, the moderators were too afraid to step in. All it takes for a community to become unwelcoming is for good people to do nothing when that happens.

I'm privy to behind the scenes here, and I'm confident that we'll never stand for anything like that.
Blorf
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 am

Vitoria, your struggle is one that each of us share in some degree or another and that only makes it more special because in this reguard we are ALL connected. And not just because each of us like LEGOs or building nerdy things. We strive to be accepted and I feel that MF0 is a great place for that.
We all have our up times and our down times. Time we wish to share, and times we wish to forget entirely. Here I feel is a place that allows us all to be ourselves regardless of whatever trails life throws at us.
What you have shared only reminds us that we each are human. Humans make mistakes, but we strife to learn from them. We gain courage to overcome that which would bring us down and sometimes the greatest support comes from places like this and the community within.

You are not alone in your struggles my friend and know that you can gain strength here, so get as sappy as you like, because judgement does not exist here, unless they are positive.
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Vitoria » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks, folks!

Always great to have each of you around as well!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby CmdrRook » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:45 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again; it's been an honor and a privilege to share this community with you, Vitoria, and the whole MFZ crew. Vincent and Josh made a game. You (all) make it great.
CmdrRook
Grizzled Veteran

Postby phayze81 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:47 pm

I've been putting off reading this thread because I wanted to make sure that I could give it the time and attention that it deserves. I'm glad I finally did, because it gives me an opportunity to piggyback on it and say that I'm also amazed by the safe, inclusive nature of this community. I often brag about how awesome the folks here are, and how the usual toxic online nerd stereotypes simply don't apply here.

But here's the best part: YOU, Vitoria, are an integral part of what makes this community great! You dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the fold here and I will always be extremely grateful to you for that. You may have joined a great group, but you've worked to keep it great, and to make it even better.

So yeah, get sappy. It's cool, you've earned it. ^^
phayze81
Talkative

Postby Trokodile174 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Well, I finally have time to respond to this... When I first read it I was just waking up to see this and a few replies and did not have the mental energy yet to properly read and respond to it. I may not have been around for as long as some of you, or have as many posts, or have as many views, or... The list goes on. But I will say, it's an honor to be part of this great little place, and I hope to remain here for quite a while.
The way I see this is, we're all just people having fun discussing tiny mecha models, tabletop games, and LEGOs all in one place. The positivity here is what many many other places both need and lack, and also what keeps those that are here from leaving. When you think about it, at any given time, there's only between ten to twenty people who aren't lurking for at least a month, and we're spread all over the world. This game and this hangar not only gives us all a common interest, but also connects so many places to each other. Now, I'd say that's pretty fantastic, wouldn't you all agree?
Check out for extra pics, building instructions, and more!

Maker of , the Battle Royale MF0 fan game
Trokodile174
Been Around The Block

Postby Vitoria » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:06 pm

I've also been putting off responding to your beautiful responses, as I'm not sure if I can do them justice.

It has been honor and a privilege as well Rook, having you here is my greatest pride Phayze, and has been awesome having you here, Trok, you really injected some needed life and color to this old phpBB board (it would be nice having a closer talk to you on the Discord channel as well, maybe going "Reverse Hangar Police" might be just as fruitful sometimes)!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby TheMugbearer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:49 am

<3 <3 <3

|
TheMugbearer
Chatty

Postby Vitoria » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Today is the international day of transgender visibility, so I guess it's time to talk about the trans thing.

There used to be time when I had a lot of internalised transphobia, and frankly knew nothing about LGBT issues.

I knew I had it inside already, but I was too ignorant to know what it was. I had no real example of what a real transgender person even was, outside the extremely toxic stereotypes that used to dominate media and the news back in the day.

I thought that I either had no future as a woman, or had a profoundly grim one. Back in my last years of college, just before I discovered MF0, I had some very sad stories of drunk cross dressing and putting myself into vulnerable situations, thankfully never truly serious ever happened, but it just internalised further the idea that what I was was nothing beyond a dark vice that would eventually destroy me.

That changed forever in this very forum, when I started noticing there was something new with that person who built those beautiful Nimbus ships. It changed even more when a fellow trans gal started to spontaneously abbreviate VitorFaria as Vitoria in the Discord channel, for some reason, and I knew deep in my heart there was nothing to correct, in fact, she was the one correcting everyone else, including myself. It just kept changing until there was point there were no point in coming back.

I had bold, successful and strong LGBT people all around to look up to, and to provide me with a safe space born out of the most sincere and active actions one could expect.

So one day it just hit me, that there was one more lesson to learn from here.

The courage you all gave me meant my life.

I truly love you all!
Vitoria (she/her)
Vitoria
Mod Team

Postby Artasid » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:16 am

Let me applaude your bravery and your sincerity.
Being honest with yourself and having the courage to speak out and say "This is who I am and I'm Happy with who I am." is not an easy thing to do in todays world. Labels and sterotypes get tossed around so casually that it's sometimes forgotten that they can hurt. When I was growing up, I was a victim of sterotyping as well.
I hate sports. I don't like Football, Baseball, NASCAR or any sport, and I always avoided them in Highschool. Because of that I was quickly labeled as a nerd, or dork or geek, or some other term. Back then, it did hurt my feelings and my self esteem, but now in my older years I have learn to accept myself for who I am and will gladly say that I'm a Geek (With a side of Nerd and a pinch of Dork) lol :lol:
But I digress
The point I am trying to make is that being able to stand for yourself, despite the thoughts of others who may disagree, is a huge step. I am a firm believer that if you're happy with your life choices, then what difference does it make what someone else thinks?
That's what I LOVE about the Hanger and this community. No one is judgmental here. I'm allowed to be who I am and not feel like an outcast. I can proudly say that Yes I'm a 40+ year old guy who enjoys LEGOS and watching cartoons and buying Happy Meals for myself, and not feel ashamed. In fact, its accepted here.
That's a TRUE community. Willing to accept EVERYONE.
And Vitoria, allow me to say I accept you! (not in a creepy kinda way mind you, but as a person and fellow human being.)
The Dead may outlast the Living, but those who never Lived outlast them all.
Artasid
Old Guard

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:47 pm

Vitoria, I'm so happy and proud of what you've brought to our little scene.
Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Joshua A.C. Newman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Joshua A.C. Newman
MFZ:RA Game Designer

Postby Trokodile174 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:39 pm

Check out for extra pics, building instructions, and more!

Maker of , the Battle Royale MF0 fan game
Trokodile174
Been Around The Block

Postby Ogreboy88 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:07 pm

(Don't worry, I'm actually just some kind of woke hippy armchair-communist intellectual type with really bad taste in numbers.)
Ogreboy88
Chatty

Postby HyveMynd » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:29 pm

@HyveMynd basically everywhere

Philly Expat in Japan | audio editor by day RPG creator by night | Monsterhearts fan | LEGO builder | Netrunner player | she/her
HyveMynd
Talkative

Return to Mobile Frame Zero General Discussion